My First Car -- P15 1947 Plymouth Deluxe

NickPickToo
Go to solution Solved by kbuhagiar,

I am really loving the dashboard color and the interior. That may be the nicest interior I have seen to date.

• Thanks 1

My mind went blank for most of that.   Couldn't tell he was talking about trim when he asked about chrome.  Couldn't even recall the hp or that the engine wasn't actually original.  But it was a cool experience. 

• Haha 1

I have a fuel leak coming from the shaft that holds the throttle plate in the carburetor

It doesn't leak while operating, only after I turn the engine off.

I've played around with the float and that made it better, but didn't make it stop.

I have not messed around with the lower mix adjustment yet.  Wanted to see what the forum had to say first.

Is there an easy fix?

As a side, I'm also getting a blue residue in the fuel in that carburetor bowl too?  Presently using leaded fuel for the breakin  

Aha itsa deluxe,  I shift mine through the steering wheel where the horn ring would be in the way on the special deluxe.

Now that you have the radio surround in place, do you still have the enameled mayflower emblem that should have been in the center of the dash?

https://p15-d24.com/attachments/?page=8

Scroll down about 8 images.

Edited by greg g

13 minutes ago, greg g said:

Aha itsa deluxe,  I shift mine through the steering wheel where the horn ring would be in the way on the special deluxe.

Now that you have the radio surround in place, do you still have the enameled mayflower emblem that should have been in the center of the dash?

Looks like they have a 42 dash insert with that emblem

Yes we received it with a 42 insert.  Nicholas liked the look so he kept it. 

Gents and ladies.  Nicholas is getting focused on going to college.  we move him in end of next week and he's not going to have his car the first semester (perhaps first year we will see how he hits the ground).  I suspect he'll take an extended brake from the forum.  I think he has one last post planned to close this specific thread out before he heads off.  

Thank you so much for all the advice and encouragement you provided him over the past three years.   

Edited by NickPick'sCrew
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Been absent for a while.  College going, Well.

Had a design issue with the dual carb intake manifold.  The arms on the rod that run the length of the manifold wouldn't stay in place.   Seems like a big job to place pins through the rod and arms.  Then if we ever change carbs with slightly different offsets we'd have to do it all over.  So my crew (dad) bypassed the rod and arms all together.

This setup looks sus, but it's pretty stiff and works well.  Trick is to get the linkage length to that the swivel on top of the engine is at the top of its path.  Then when you step on the peddle it pulls more or less straight back on both carbs.

Now just need to get a heat source to the auto choke.   It works fine this time of year without a direct source.  It gets hot enough under the hood so that it opens up quick enough.  Just wondering how it would work in the winter.

Also have a new issue -- throttle now so stable that the brittle pedal gave out 

linkage.jpg

pedal.jpg

Edited by NickPickToo