My First Car -- P15 1947 Plymouth Deluxe

NickPickToo
Go to solution Solved by kbuhagiar,

Tough break...you know that glass light cover that's part of the the trunk latch assembly...dad just dropped and broke it.   Other than some pitting, it was a complete assembly.  Can't get too mad as he's been so helpful on this.  Anyway, any leads on where to find one?  Now I go to cry ?

Ebay!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CLEAR-GLASS-LICENSE-PLATE-LIGHT-LENS-1942-48-PLYMOUTH-CARS-1942-1946-1947-1948-/124545076828

Edited by ccudahy
  • Thanks 1

When people look at my car, you don't know how many times I get asked "what is that lens/light/glass for?" Got that name embedded for life!...?

Edited by ccudahy

On 3/30/2021 at 1:02 PM, NickPickToo said:

Tough break...you know that glass light cover that's part of the the trunk latch assembly...dad just dropped and broke it.   Other than some pitting, it was a complete assembly.  Can't get too mad as he's been so helpful on this.  Anyway, any leads on where to find one?  Now I go to cry ?

Didja whup him?

Public Service Announcement:  Costco has weather tech all vehicle floor mats in stock (at least the one near us does).  These are designed to be trimmed to just about ant size and fit the P-15.  $25 for a set of four mats.

IMG_1239.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Question on hood springs.  I can not locate a good diagram for the springs.  Do they hook from the inside facing out or the outside facing in?  The answer I would like is outside in or else I have to redo it.  It's not easy

IMG_1249.jpg

IMG_1250.jpg

Edited by NickPickToo

Nick,

I installed mine the opposite way that you have them, because they hit the fender. But it was difficult to get the bottom of the spring attached with the fender on.

Looking good, keep up the good work.

I'm starting to put in the glass, did you guys have a problem with the windshield gasket?

Vince

14 hours ago, Vin's 49 Plymouth said:

Nick,

I installed mine the opposite way that you have them, because they hit the fender. But it was difficult to get the bottom of the spring attached with the fender on.

Looking good, keep up the good work.

I'm starting to put in the glass, did you guys have a problem with the windshield gasket?

Vince

I knew I'd be redoing it from the fit ?  Dad mentioned something about a wire and two handles may make the job easier.  Said not to ask where he got the idea.

I had no issues with the glass gasket.  We used the one-piece continuous (including center) from Steele Rubber.   The bolts that hold the center metal trim (inside and out) ended up being shorter than the manual listed.  There is also a single glass windshield you can purchase that looks pretty cool, but it was out of budget for me.  It may be a future upgrade someday.

There is another product available that is not continuous and has a separate center piece.  I cant imagine making that set work.  

Nick, I used a metal hook with a T-handle and pulled the top onto the hinge. Maybe have someone help pull.

I'm 6 ft 220 and it took all my strength. Just keep trying. I've been going one step forward and two steps back during my whole build. 

You can do it.

I can only vaguely remember how I dismantled my hood springs.  It's possible that they were already removed, but I wonder if you could connect the spring with the hinge mount swung down, then rotate it up (using an angle iron bolted to the hinge as leverage) and insert the second mounting bolt.  I meant to get mine out & experiment with it, but I'm dealing with carpal tunnel issues right now, so have to be very careful to avoid straining my wrists.  (I have it in both hands to some degree.)

• Solution

Nick,

Congratulations on the progress on your car so far. Nice work!

The trick that I have used in the past to install hood springs is this: Get a BUNCH of thick washers and insert them, one each in between the coils of the spring until the spring has been lengthened enough to install. After the spring is in place, pull down on the hood to put tension on the spring and release all of the washers. Now this is VERY important...make sure you loop a piece of string or wire through all of the washers, and tie the ends together. This will keep all of the washers from flying off into all directions after you release the spring tension. Take a look at the picture, it will give you an idea of how this method works.

Good luck!

60043_ArticleSection_M_ac13f6e1-4ac1-49f5-924c-a078ae7f0b66.jpg

Edited by kbuhagiar
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, kbuhagiar said:

Nick,

Congratulations on the progress on your car so far. Nice work!

The trick that I have used in the past to install hood springs is this: Get a BUNCH of thick washers and insert them, one each in between the coils of the spring until the spring has been lengthened enough to install. After the spring is in place, pull down on the hood to put tension on the spring and release all of the washers. Now this is VERY important...make sure you loop a piece of string or wire through all of the washers, and tie the ends together. This will keep all of the washers from flying off into all directions after you release the spring tension. Take a look at the picture, it will give you an idea of how this method works.

Good luck!

60043_ArticleSection_M_ac13f6e1-4ac1-49f5-924c-a078ae7f0b66.jpg

VERY clever!

We plumbed the fuel lines this week  and connected the electrical (all but exterior lights) and started it up again.  Started right up after sitting all winter and still idles nice.  Would have taken it out for a test drive except that I haven't connected the throttle yet. 

I go to connect it, but no hole in the floor for the accelerator arm and the grommet that goes around it.  Measured twice and still didn't get the hole in the correct alignment so the arm was sticky and rubbing against the bell housing.

We came up with a way to get the alignment right every time.   Make the whole in the floor larger than needed then make a whole in a small face plate that fits the rubber grommet perfectly.  Adjust the plate until the alignment is perfect and the arm is moving smoothly.  Then lock the plate in place.

IMG_1272.jpg

IMG_1271.jpg

• Like 6

Throttle linkage all set.

I modified a hardware store 10-24 adjustable eyelet to link the old to the new.   The left hand thread side links to the arm on the intake manifold.  I replaced the right hand thread side with a longer 10-24 bolt that I cut down to a size that fit the adjusting sleeve deeper and still allows for room to make adjustments. 

I couldn't easily find a way to shift from 10 course to 1/4 fine so I epoxied (3M 420) the original ball joint over the the RH end.   The epoxy is rated at higher heat than the engine will run and the springs act to push this point in the linkage together.  The carbs want to push the linkage into the engine - full open -- naturally while the linkage spring wants to push the linkage towards the carb - idle.  The tensions from the the carb springs against the tension from the throttle springs makes the accelerator action very smooth. 

When adjusted, the linkage from the fire wall doesn't interfere with the temp sending unit or the canaster oil can (that I took off for now to have room to work).  The throttle travel is set from idle to just under full open throttle.  Still need to hook up the cruse control, I mean throttle cable.   Now that I know where all the linkage is going to fall, I can design a heat shield to go under the carbs. 

Technically it can drive now even though I still need to put in and wire the exterior lights.  May take it for a spin around the subdivision soon.  Oh and the blue tooth radio mod works along with the ability to answer calls hands free.

IMG_1279.jpg

IMG_1276.jpg

Edited by NickPickToo

44 minutes ago, Frank Elder said:

Such progress, I can hardly believe that this thread will be three years old in July.

Dad laid down the motivation.  He says if its not street legal before I go off to college then it becomes his.    

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

25 minutes ago, rcumba11 said:

Since this was 3 years ago, I am wondering what the final results are and do we have pictures of young love in an old car?

UHHHHHHH.......

On 4/20/2021 at 1:44 PM, Frank Elder said:

Such progress, I can hardly believe that this thread will be three years old in July.

Agreed Frank. There is a lot of achievement in this thread and a lot to admire in Nick and his family. I have also enjoyed learning that part of the education system that Nick is in has some parallels with down here. In my mind to be reading and analyzing Conrad's " Heart of Darkness " is pretty impressive. Beyond what my school days delivered nearly fifty years ago but was part of the curriculum when one of my daughters did literature. Add that to the contact, help and encouragement Nick has had from you old dogs of the forum, a bunch of you vets yourselves, and it is a fine thing to behold. The bonds we share in this affliction of ours.

I'm sure we are all looking forward to seeing Nick complete this project and driving his ride into the next stage of his life.