My First Car -- P15 1947 Plymouth Deluxe

NickPickToo
Go to solution Solved by kbuhagiar,

• 2 weeks later...

Tack strip from Bob Drake.  He's a Ford guy so I hope the Plymouth doesn't reject it.  Anyway, now we know its a tack stip.  Initially we thought is was structural support.  11/16 in the A pillar and the tray package.  1/2 in the B pillar.  There is also a ridge on both sides of the roof line.  1/2 would go in there, but I'd rather leave what's there alone.  It's brittle but still in firmly.  Dad says I should replace it now while we have it exposed?

IMG_1113.jpg

Edited by NickPickToo

I concur with your Dad, replace the tack strip while it's easy to get to.  If it's brittle it won't hold the upholstery tacks very well and it'll start sagging after a while.  It's a real PIA to replace after the interior is in the car.

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, NickPickToo said:

Tack strip from Bob Drake.  He's a Ford guy so I hope the Plymouth doesn't reject it.  Anyway, now we know its a tack stip.  Initially we thought is was structural support.  11/16 in the A pillar and the tray package.  1/2 in the B pillar.  There is also a ridge on both sides of the roof line.  1/2 would go in there, but I'd rather leave what's there alone.  It's brittle but still in firmly.  Dad says I should replace it now while we have it exposed?

IMG_1113.jpg

Listen to Dad.

Trust me on this one.

2 minutes ago, Dryerventwizard said:

How do u keep the fender welt in the right place while bolting it on. Because it has no bolt holes in it.

Uhhhhh......you cut holes in it?

At least that's what I did on the VW Beetle I restored.

Edited by Sam Buchanan

7 minutes ago, Sam Buchanan said:

Uhhhhh......you cut holes in it?

At least that's what I did on the VW Beetle I restored.

Our you could try crazy glue.  Just cut all that extra fabric out of the way, bolt the fender in place, and then glue the welt down

Edited by NickPickToo
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Dryerventwizard said:

Do u cut the plastic round piece of after installing or leave it.

For the record, my last was another joke.  I'd hate for you to think that was real advice.  Mr. Buchanan was correct, I cut/poked a whole in the fabric where the bolts lined up.  You leave the plastic in the fabric.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NickPickToo said:

For the record, my last was another joke.  I'd hate for you to think that was real advice.  Mr. Buchanan was correct, I cut/poked a whole in the fabric where the bolts lined up.  You leave the plastic in the fabric.

Thank goodness.

2 hours ago, NickPickToo said:

Nick...I thought you had learned not to use your dad's jokes.......   ?

You can use a piece of copper or steel tubing the right size as a punch. Use a file or grinder to sharpen one end and put a tight-fitting bolt in the other end that you hammer on.

Cheap,and works good.

I'm thinking that the welting that I took off of my 46 had wide notches in the flange, and I don't think any bolts actually went through the welting flange.  (As memory serves.  It was back in 1980, and I'm not sure I still have any of it to look at to be sure.)  My impression is that you mount the fender loosely, then push the welting down into place, holding it firmly against the fender to body seam as a second person tightens the fender bolts one by one, working from either front to back or the reverse.

6 hours ago, NickPickToo said:

I wish I could put that one on my dad...?

Go ahead. Blame it on him anyhow.

We won't tell.

Honest!

• Haha 1

On 12/4/2020 at 6:38 PM, Dryerventwizard said:

Isn't the upolstrey supposed to go where putting that.

DVW, that's the tack strip that goes in the cavity there so that the upholstery material and headliner "tail" can be tacked into place.  Its a hard rubber strip that will hold staples and tacks well.  I think the original was an industrial strength cardboard-like material.  It had pretty well much hardened and crumbled in my '47.  

Edited by NickPickToo

7 hours ago, Frank Elder said:

When I was your age I had a Kraco am/fm 8 track with a radio shack 5 band EQ and 6x9 3 way Jensen speakers.

Sounded like poop but I was proud of them anyway....lol.

You expect us to believe there was such a thing as music in cars back then?

I guess you will be telling us next there was electricity in houses,too.

knuckle,running for cover..........

• Haha 1