My First Car -- P15 1947 Plymouth Deluxe

NickPickToo
Go to solution Solved by kbuhagiar,

I know its not quite the same "wind in your hair" but the bottom pic was taken in September 1973 when this then bright eyed & bushy tailed 19 year old took his 1940 Dodge out for its first drive around the block with its newly installed 318 Poly V8.......Oh to be young & silly again!..........still silly but can't remember the young bit.........and the top pic was taken about 1970 after a 16 yr old had pulled his Oz 1940 Dodge coupe apart........the silliness was starting to show even then.........lol..........Nick, you are doing very well, keep it up....... andyd   

img023 (2).jpg

• Like 1

Wow, I bet it was deceptively fast.  I initially wanted to put in a V8, but dad played the older-wiser card, knowing that I'm still young and silly he didn't want me to have too much power.  He mentioned I could put a bigger engine in when I'm older.  After hearing the flathead, I don't think I could.  Maybe someday a T-5 and re-gear the differential or a rear-end swap.

Edited by NickPickToo
  • Like 2

Nick.........get it going well & enjoy the experience, I see there are a couple of carbies so thats a good start, I was going to put an S10 T5 that I imported from Ca into the 41 Plymouth I was building up a few yrs ago but ended up selling the car etc, a T5 for me is a great way to get more enjoyment out of the car for a small dollar outlay..........you are doing a wonderful job and having  you on here inspires all of us.........thanks mate........andyd   

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Andydodge said:

Nick.........get it going well & enjoy the experience, I see there are a couple of carbies so thats a good start, I was going to put an S10 T5 that I imported from Ca into the 41 Plymouth I was building up a few yrs ago but ended up selling the car etc, a T5 for me is a great way to get more enjoyment out of the car for a small dollar outlay..........you are doing a wonderful job and having  you on here inspires all of us.........thanks mate........andyd   

Mr Andy,  You need to talk your neighbor, "Dontknowitall" to stay connected.

5 hours ago, NickPickToo said:

Mr Andy,  You need to talk your neighbor, "Dontknowitall" to stay connected.

?????..........don't quite follow what you mean?..........lol..........found what you referred to, all good.......lol....Andy Douglas

Edited by Andydodge

Cleaned up the ridges of the braces today.  Leaving the rust in the center channel so that Por-15 will do it's work.  We found an aftermarket universal brace on EMS that has the same width as ours so plan to splice it into attachment points 4&5.  Attachment point 3 dips down to the brace so still looking for a solution for this.  Attachment point 2 is in pretty good shape all said.

Passed my first test, the doors fit and shut too.

IMG_0727.jpg

IMG_0717.jpg

Our plan is to rebuild the floor from the B pillar forward and to patch what needs patching from the B pillar back. with the exception of the rear rockers which we will rebuild as well.  Here is my first attempt at fabricating.  I think its a pretty good fit.

IMG_0720.jpg.4cc02aad80a8e93468539843d1825e19.jpg

IMG_0721.jpg

Edited by NickPickToo

Okay Dad called this phase Frankin-Floor, and this is just the beginning ?  He assures me I'll be able to clean it up in the end.  He also assures me that It will be covered up by insulation and carpet as well.

IMG_0729.jpg

• Like 1

So, Mom asked how she could help.  To be completely honest, pound for pound she's the strongest and hardest worker among us with the highest attention to detail. That said, the car would be pink with lace curtains in the back if she had her way.  We did however find a good use for her sense of color and style.

IMG_0728.jpg

IMG_0733.jpg

Edited by NickPickToo
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, lepic56 said:

Hi Nick

Is it going to be the color of the car same has the dash??

Charlotte Ivory (one of the 1947 options) for the car color.  Experimenting with the hood to see if I can do it myself.  Using a two part (doesn't need clear coat) paint right now, but not having much luck can't get the orange peel out without dulling the color.  I might end up going with a base then clear coat as the local paint and body pro has told us it may be easier to get good results..

Interior cloth will be brown and tan and all the interior metal trim items will be the same as the dash.  Outside trim is cleaning well so staying with stainless, but I can't afford chrome so thinking I may match the Bumpers to the car color for the time being. 

IMG_0681.jpg

• Like 1

Nick, you won't be able to consistently shoot the new low-VOC paints without orange peel.

But there is a remedy. Search YouTube and the internet for "cut and buff" or "color sand". You sand the color with very fine sandpaper until the orange peel is gone then machine buff to a high gloss. The new paints respond very nicely to this procedure, that is how the show-car finishes are done, even with clear coat.

Here is an example of a back yard paint job with single-stage PPG Concept that has been sanded and buffed:

beetle-9685.jpg.f68fd1d415e6befc331f9ebbc7552d44.jpg

beetle-9654.jpg.8c8793abb1182b4655575d4a0f36f2db.jpg

Yes, when the chrome on the bumpers is shot you can paint them body color for the time being. It's been twelve years since I painted that car and the bumpers are still painted.  :)

Edited by Sam Buchanan
  • Like 1

Nic...what type of paint are you using?............is it a two part urethane enamel/clear over base color? or old style acrylic lacquer?.........lacquer is much more forgiving but harder to find now...........if you are using urethane and are getting orange peel in the clear try to thin it a little more but be careful as this can sometimes give more runs and then sand the orange peel away & cut & polish...................if its acrylic then you should be using a topcoat or 2-3 of clear..........I put 3-4 coats of color then start mixing the clear into the color first at 80:20% color to clear.... then 50:50 then 20:80 color to clear and then 1-2 coats of clear then start adding more thinners with 1-2 coats and finally if you are keen, a final coat thats virtually straight thinners, a very quick and very light coat..........you should end up with a great shine off the gun.............if you are going to wet sand orange peel use at least 1000 grit, no coarser or even 1200-1500 grit I also use machine compound but by hand as its normally a much finer grade than hand cutting compound and theres less chance to cut thru..........dunno if this is any help...........lol...........andyd       

• Like 1