My First Car -- P15 1947 Plymouth Deluxe

NickPickToo
Go to solution Solved by kbuhagiar,

30 minutes ago, NickPickToo said:

On this day. Monday, May 24, 2021 at 3:30 pm.  I was able to get the brake lights to work properly My P15 1947 Plymouth 2 Door Sedan is now street legal ?   

So,why are you wasting your time telling us about it,when you should be out driving around in it?

• Haha 1

On 4/25/2021 at 11:05 PM, tom'sB2B said:

That's a natural exhaust splatter for a 74 year old.

Now I will go stand in the corner.

BTW. I look forward to seeing the results from that heat shield.  ?

Update on this.  The carb heat shield seemed to work well. I could really feel the temp drop above the shield with and without.  However, we started to have excelerator related issues related to getting the linkage set up right.   It was getting stuck in exceleration.  Great if I'm drag racing but a bit unnerving when your going down the road.  I think I have it fixed now.  The heat shield was a real pain when it came time to mess with the linkage.   Running without the shield for now until I'm sure the excelerator is really stable.  Plan to modify the heat shield so I can reach the adjustment points I was having trouble with.  

Connected the oil pressure gage today.  Reading a steady 40.   

Having trouble figuring out how to get the temp sending unit end of the of the temp gage connected to the engine.  I know where it goes, but it does not look like it fits directly into the engine.  Is there a housing for the sending unit?  Could someone share a picture of how this should look once connected? 

Today we go to the SOS office to get registered and tagged ?.  That's not easy lately as you have to go on line every day at 8:00 am and 12:00 noon to try and grab the next appointment that was released (else you can wait till mid august).  Usually the site is down from too much traffic and by the time we get on the appointments are gone.  Not this time! 

• Like 2

Looking forward to the first drive report hopefully with pictures.  You did well young sir.  I have had my 46 for 51 years.  It still makes me smile.  Hopefully you will have a long and enjoyable time with your new car.

Drive safe!  It is said by insurance companies the most accidents involving inexperienced drivers happen through distraction from passengers in the car.  I know all your buddies are going to want to pile in and go skylarking about with you.  Limit your riders till you know the cars limitations as well as its capabilities.  5 or six people in the car will put a lot of demand on your 70 year old brake system and skinny tires.

End of lecture, have fun!

Edited by greg g
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Still working on making it look better, but out for a drive today.  First stop O'Reilly's to say thanks to the team for helping us find a lot of the odds and ends.  Fasted speed on the main road the speedometer read 55, but the gps tracker on my phone clocked me at 60.  That was just comfortably going with the flow of traffic.  Engine running at high rpms at that speed so pretty sure that top end for me anyway.

IMG_1399.jpg

Edited by NickPickToo
  • Like 7

Congratulations Nick! You have accomplished something that very few young people attempt and have formed memories with your dad that you will cherish for the rest of your life.

Yep, 55-60 mph is the sweet spot for these cars and the stock brakes are pretty much maxed out in modern traffic at that speed as well. Be safe and enjoy.....you earned it!   ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, greg g said:

What size tires are you running?  With mine, 65 on the speedometer is 62 on the GPS.  The rpms work out to 3280 at that speed my rear tires are 225 75 15.

215/70R/16.  Also converted to disk brakes up front.  How do you work out RPMs without a tach?

There are a couple of calculators on the internet. You put in your diff ratio, your tire overall diameter, (also a couple sites with this info) and your top gear ratio which is 1 to 1 unless you have an overdrive. With that data plugged in it will spit out rpms give or take a few. Some of the calls are on off reading pages and as for transfer case ratio if so put 1 to 1 in that space also.

Edited by greg g

7 minutes ago, greg g said:

Just noticed that it is a 2 door sedan.  Not many left around.  Other than the convertible, that was the least produced body type.  Enjoy!

Really? I have to admit this surprises me. I would have thought the 2drs would have been VERY popular with people who had small children.

2 hours ago, knuckleharley said:

Really? I have to admit this surprises me. I would have thought the 2drs would have been VERY popular with people who had small children.

Back then 2drs were also cheaper. I would expect the convert and woody to be the least

8 hours ago, NickPickToo said:

Big hit yesterday at my friends graduation party

IMG_3793.jpg

IMG_3792.jpg

Ah, Grasshopper, you have finally learned our secret:  flathead Plymouths are chick magnets!

Making the rounds to say thank you.

Mr. Mike owns the hardware shop in Howell MI.  He's got just about every type of fastener or pipe union you can imagine.  If he doesn't have it he can find it. 

Mr. Adams and his son rebuilt the inside of my engine.

IMG_2136.jpg

IMG_2135.jpg