My First Car -- P15 1947 Plymouth Deluxe

NickPickToo
Go to solution Solved by kbuhagiar,

52 minutes ago, sidevalvepete said:

Agreed Frank. There is a lot of achievement in this thread and a lot to admire in Nick and his family. I have also enjoyed learning that part of the education system that Nick is in has some parallels with down here. In my mind to be reading and analyzing Conrad's " Heart of Darkness " is pretty impressive. Beyond what my school days delivered nearly fifty years ago but was part of the curriculum when one of my daughters did literature. Add that to the contact, help and encouragement Nick has had from you old dogs of the forum, a bunch of you vets yourselves, and it is a fine thing to behold. The bonds we share in this affliction of ours.

I'm sure we are all looking forward to seeing Nick complete this project and driving his ride into the next stage of his life.

Pete/Frank-

Nice comments. The fact that Nick and the Crew are genuinely nice people only makes this whole thread better and makes us all want to help as much as we can. It will be GREAT when Nick pulls up to Penn State in THE car... Going to be EPIC!!!

Sorry Mr. Elder.  My cross country days are over.  Perhaps club running.  I'll try to keep active on the forum in college and I will absolutely make it to the PA auto meets.   

Auto related question.  I just burnt out my second solenoid since working on this car.  I'm using cheep off brand solenoids from O'Reilly's.  Any suggestions on most dependable 12V solenoid?   

This picture was while the car was in idle and after I had raised the RPMS a bit.  There is no visible smoke, but you can see a little black in the splatter.   I assume it may be a little oil making it into the combustion chamber.    Is this normal for these engines or should I be worrying right now?  Idle and rev sounds fine otherwise.

IMG_1281.jpg

Edited by NickPickToo

1 hour ago, NickPickToo said:

This picture was while the car was in idle and after I had raised the RPMS a bit.  There is no visible smoke, but you can see a little black in the splatter.   I assume it may be a little oil making it into the combustion chamber.    Is this normal for these engines or should I be worrying right now?  Idle and rev sounds fine otherwise.

Nick, after you start driving the car the stuff that has accumulated in the muffler will clear out and you won't be seeing this. I don't see any reason to worry about the health of your engine.....carry on.  :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/23/2021 at 4:55 AM, NickPickToo said:

IMG_1281.jpg

That's a natural exhaust splatter for a 74 year old.

Now I will go stand in the corner.

BTW. I look forward to seeing the results from that heat shield.  ?

On 4/13/2021 at 2:13 PM, kbuhagiar said:

Nick,

Congratulations on the progress on your car so far. Nice work!

The trick that I have used in the past to install hood springs is this: Get a BUNCH of thick washers and insert them, one each in between the coils of the spring until the spring has been lengthened enough to install. After the spring is in place, pull down on the hood to put tension on the spring and release all of the washers. Now this is VERY important...make sure you loop a piece of string or wire through all of the washers, and tie the ends together. This will keep all of the washers from flying off into all directions after you release the spring tension. Take a look at the picture, it will give you an idea of how this method works.

Good luck!

60043_ArticleSection_M_ac13f6e1-4ac1-49f5-924c-a078ae7f0b66.jpg

This worked well.  Dont go for all fat washers, it takes a mix of thick and thin washers to fit.  If the springs are not on the car, hook one end to a cherry picker and the other end to a bar under the legs of the cherry picker.  I couldnt stop thinking that the washers were about to shoot out at any moment, but they held well.

Edited by NickPickToo
  • Like 1

So, Just how much and what color smoke should be coming out of the engine breather tubes.

The one with the breather cap on the right side near the front by the alternator / generator doesn't hav emuch, but every now and then I can see some.

The one on the left near the rear of the engine that angles down and slightly back has a slow but steady stream of white-ish smoke coming out.   How normal is that? 

That's normal. The oil fill pipe, with air filter cap, is the air inlet for the crankcase. The draft tube at the rear vents vapors from the valve tappet chamber. In theory, when driving down the road there is a negative pressure at the end of the draft tube to help draw out the crankcase vapors. Modern engines breath in a similar fashion, however, the crankcase vapors are recycled back into the air intake via a PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) system. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Merle Coggins said:

That's normal. The oil fill pipe, with air filter cap, is the air inlet for the crankcase. The draft tube at the rear vents vapors from the valve tappet chamber. In theory, when driving down the road there is a negative pressure at the end of the draft tube to help draw out the crankcase vapors. Modern engines breath in a similar fashion, however, the crankcase vapors are recycled back into the air intake via a PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) system. 

Okay.  That makes sense then.  I hadn't noticed it in the rear so much before I put on the heat shield.  Now more of the air flow from the fan is diverting down and to the rear on that side and may be creating the negative pressure that is drawing the vapors out while it's running but at a stand still.    

Sent the car out to Harold's Truck Frame (Novi MI) to double check my front suspension and do a complete alignment.  They know these types of suspensions well.  It was only away for a day.  Alignment is great and they said they only had to redo the side my dad worked on.  Now back to putting it back together.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Backup Camera from Costco.  Solar powered camera and 12v powered monitor suction cups on the windshield.

I think it's ugly, but mom thinks is beautiful.  Dad wanted to put one on the front too.  I'd have two of these tentacles hanging from the wind shield and no room to look out.  Now I need to figure out the wiring to the lighter so I have a power source for this thing.  Could have been worse.  They were talking about drilling holes in both bumpers and all the fenders for a sensor system.  No positive comments please.  It only encourages them.

IMG_1309.jpg

Edited by NickPickToo
  • Like 1

Heck just paint the same color as everything else. Hide it best you can. Camo?.

When you move out (if so ?)  or can afford something nicer looking with camera just change it out.

I Do remember things I Had to do to please the parents way back in the start of time!  My driving time that is.

DJ

• Like 1

How about dressing up the frame of the backup cam to show some school spirit?

PENN STATE” across the bottom?

Disguise the camera with the Nittany Lion logo?

image.png.9a560d644103c45592d5d4f0be29433d.png  image.png.997c75116d14f48c5b2e040fba7ba057.png  image.png.7a150ab9c57c61d13e680e4b6eb3e6fc.png

I know... this is encouraging you parents...