My First Car -- P15 1947 Plymouth Deluxe

NickPickToo
Go to solution Solved by kbuhagiar,

Question:  Anyone know the measurement between the mounting holes on the front door arm rest? (center to center)  I can pull back the panel to measure myself, but just seeing if I can save the trouble right now.  Reason I'm asking is so I can find or make my own.

Edited by NickPickToo

• 2 weeks later...

Until I can find a cleaner solution.  I'm using a brake cylinder cover and the inside of a general purpose light socket to create the nut insulator and contact point for the horn button.  The plastic points sleeve inside the light socket can be ground down to fit the hole in the steering rod perfectly.  Probably better if I used a single point light socket so that the point is more centered, but the duel point socket was available. 

IMG_1185.jpg

IMG_1190.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/21/2021 at 8:21 PM, NickPickToo said:

Question:  Anyone know the measurement between the mounting holes on the front door arm rest? (center to center)  I can pull back the panel to measure myself, but just seeing if I can save the trouble right now.  Reason I'm asking is so I can find or make my own.

Do you still need the measurement?   If you do, I'll go out and measure ours when it warms up a bit.  Started day -11F but getting warmer.

Edited by Ed's Wrench
  • Like 1

Hi Ed. Where in VT are you? I'm near the Connecticut River in Orange county. We had -12 yesterday and -10 this morning.

Pete

Visited the hardware store today and found a better solution for the horn contact point.  Keeping the power cylinder seal because it looks good in the cup and improves insulation overall.  Found the general purpose sleeve and copper washers at true value and then used one of the contact points from the old light socket.

Will it work?  Wont know till I put the front clip back on, attach the horns and drop in the battery.  Look's good anyway.  I know the horns work because we almost blew our ears out testing them on a 12V battery.  

Not happy about the three bolts holding the ring in place.  parts manual shows 10-32 x 1".   It's closer to 3/4"

IMG_1193.jpg

IMG_1194.jpg

IMG_1196.jpg

Edited by NickPickToo
  • Like 6

additional information - B-1 horn button assembly

To replicate the horn wire contact, I bent a ring terminal as shown in the link...it's worked for going on 30 yrs.  The bakelite insulator can be made from hobby store ABS plastic + epoxy, tho your hardware store sleeve looks to work nicely...as long as the plastic is hard enough to glide over the nut without snagging, it should last a good while :cool:

3 hours ago, JBNeal said:

additional information - B-1 horn button assembly

To replicate the horn wire contact, I bent a ring terminal as shown in the link...it's worked for going on 30 yrs.  The bakelite insulator can be made from hobby store ABS plastic + epoxy, tho your hardware store sleeve looks to work nicely...as long as the plastic is hard enough to glide over the nut without snagging, it should last a good while :cool:

Hmm, the whole assembly turns together so the insulator is effectively stationary.  The biggest concern I can see is leaving enough slack in the wire down the shaft to allow for the right to left rotation without pulling the wire connections apart over time.  ???  

Edited by NickPickToo

On the trucks, the contact kinda wedges in the insulator, especially if the contact is not straight.  Since the insulator floats on the steering shaft nut, the steering wheel can be turned stop to stop with minimal twist of the wire.  The wire itself had a bullet-style disconnect about 6" below where it exits through the steering gearbox, so that it could be replaced without hacking into the main wire harness on the trucks.  On your application, that wire could be tied in a simple knot and/or wrapped in electrical tape to make it a tighter fit on your new insulator.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JBNeal said:

On the trucks, the contact kinda wedges in the insulator, especially if the contact is not straight.  Since the insulator floats on the steering shaft nut, the steering wheel can be turned stop to stop with minimal twist of the wire.  The wire itself had a bullet-style disconnect about 6" below where it exits through the steering gearbox, so that it could be replaced without hacking into the main wire harness on the trucks.  On your application, that wire could be tied in a simple knot and/or wrapped in electrical tape to make it a tighter fit on your new insulator.

basically the same here.  I will make sure the hole in the rubber gasket is large enough so its not Hugging the plastic sleeve too tightly so that it can float when it needs to

Question?  What size fitting fits into the oil pressure gauge.  Also, what type flare is best for that fitting.  The parts manual shows inverted flare nut but with two sizes,  3/8" 24 thrd and 3/8" 27 thrd?   Also, is there a high pressure nut and hose solution that would work better.

I just installed mine. I think thread size is 1/2-20 or 3/16 inverted flare. But I think the side to the gauge is a special fitting.

It had a ferrule or flare that I haven't seen before.

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, NickPickToo said:

Still here, but not much to report.  The garage was just too cold last month.   I was able to get some more under dash wiring done, but not worth showing. 

You mean it gets cold in Michigan in Feb?

Hoo new?

• 3 weeks later...

Tough break...you know that glass light cover that's part of the the trunk latch assembly...dad just dropped and broke it.   Other than some pitting, it was a complete assembly.  Can't get too mad as he's been so helpful on this.  Anyway, any leads on where to find one?  Now I go to cry ?