My First Car -- P15 1947 Plymouth Deluxe

NickPickToo
Go to solution Solved by kbuhagiar,

I missed the B-Pillar by the entire width of the pillar ?   Will have to come up with a mod.   I saw another post where the owner started at the b-pillar and worked back and forward.  Now I see why.  Working from the back would have worked too, but need to be carful to pull it back far enough before pressing in the rear garnish trim

Advice for anyone considering powder coating the garnish trim.  Don't coat the backside.  These are near impossible to get back in.   

IMG_1132.jpg

Edited by NickPickToo
  • Like 1

Ouch!! I guess I was lucky starting in the back.

Short of starting over... How about making a bolster out of some of the maroon upper side-panel material. You could radius it along the contour of the window trim along the top? Even squared on top might not look bad.. I used foam core presentation board from Staples for my door panels. It is easy to work with, takes contact adhesive very well and is pliable enough to install on the slight radius of this area

Definitely agree on the trim rings. I hung all of mine on the wall after paint and they were still a PAIN to get back on

We were away (my Dad's funeral, in Oklahoma), so I didn't have an opportunity to say this, and I know it's too late now, but I would have suggested starting in the middle.  I would image it would be even more important for a four door, as is my 46.  That's how I did a 72 Dodge Coronet I had years ago.  (The headliner was falling to pieces above the driver's area, I'm guessing from cigarette smoke.  The car was only 7 years old at the time, and I was able to get the exact fabric as the original headliner was made of.  My big mistake was that when the car sat out in the sun later, the insulation I had installed came loose from the roof.  The original insulation was also in pieces.)

• Like 1

On 12/22/2020 at 5:59 PM, Young Ed said:

It's been a long time but I feel like my coupe has a separate small piece between the headliner and the panel

That's what was done with my 51, but I am pretty sure it's not the original headliner so who knows if that was factory or someone's oops.

Take note of this brace attachment for the dash.  It needs to go on before the front dash grill.  I figured this out after I installed the dash.  Anyway, got the dash and window garnish in now.   I can see from the photo that I need to push the right side up a little tighter.

IMG_1148.jpg

IMG_1150.jpg

Edited by NickPickToo
  • Like 3

Super great job!?

• Thanks 1

Nick. Not sure if this is any help but......

Although my vehicle is 1938, all the late 30s through to late 40s mopars had the same or very similar rubber cowl grommets and their metal surrounds. Even right and left hand drive vehicles were the same. So my wiring is nearly identical to keithb7s 38 Plymouth. All these late 30s and 40s mopars have the loom exiting the interior das through the same rubber grommet in roughly the same position before going to the starter and other destinations. See my first pic.imagejpeg_2.jpg.4495ec9af605d763b93137aacfddd7c0.jpg

As far as behind the dash goes, each wire from each attachment point just runs in the shortest distance and tidiest manner into its woven harness  and then to the exit point in the firewall. A bit hard to see in these photos. First one looking down through the cowl vent aperture - never mind the orange coiled wire. It is for my original radio and not wired in yet. Second vague photo looking up under dash mostly showing connections to my light switches etc. imagejpeg_2.jpg.95387e64d74f9a2ff58647d497e9a885.jpg

imagejpeg_3.jpg

Edited by sidevalvepete
spelling
  • Thanks 1