My First Car -- P15 1947 Plymouth Deluxe

NickPickToo
Go to solution Solved by kbuhagiar,

5 hours ago, NickPickToo said:

Seeking Advice

The wire harness has connections at the B pillars for dome light switches in the doors.  I don't see that my car ever had door switches.  I suspect the switch was a Special Deluxe feature where mine is a Deluxe?   I think I should just wrap the ends and strand in place.  Advice?

IMG_1052.jpg

Yes, you are correct.  This is a DeLuxe vs Special DeLuxe distinction.  The Special DeLuxe has a slide type switch that mounts in that square hole in the B pillar in your picture.  Then there is also a momentary Off plunger type switch in the lower part of the passenger door A pillar, so that the light comes on any time the door is open.  

Since you have the wires there anyway, you could easily add a pillar switch, but if I were rebuilding a DeLuxe model, I would for sure add the right side switch - think of the ladies - when you open the door for them, the light comes on automatically.  Yeah, old-time manners....

Edited by Eneto-55
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Eneto-55 said:

Since you have the wires there anyway, you could easily add a pillar switch, but if I were rebuilding a DeLuxe model, I would for sure add the right side switch - think of the ladies - when you open the door for them, the light comes on automatically.  Yeah, old-time manners....

In that case the door switch should be wired to a nice set of lavender-colored LEDs........

• Haha 2

Okay, one photo is the finish line at Michigan International Speedway.  I swear Nicholas is in the second shoot somewhere.  We were not allowed on the course this year due to COVID.  I kind of understand as there were over 160 runners, Multiply that by at least two parents, and add in siblings and friends and other team mates that did not run in the top seven and that would have been a packed tight finish area.  Nicholas and his team didn't have their best race at states, but we were all pleased with the season they put in -- particularly as they didn't even know if they'd have a season earlier on.

IMG_1057.jpg

IMG_1061.jpg

Edited by NickPick'sCrew
  • Like 1

On 11/5/2020 at 9:29 PM, Sam Buchanan said:

In that case the door switch should be wired to a nice set of lavender-colored LEDs........

Hey Sam, are you speaking from personal experience, If so, when you open your door does the lavender light come on and the speakers go "Chiki Chicki Bow wa?" 

Sorry Sam I am in a funny mood tonight.

Joe Lee

• Haha 1

Learned how to put in the quarter windows today.  It's turning out to be an expensive lesson.  Tip:  Window goes in back first and from the inside of the car.  Guide the back of the glass into the back "fuzzy" track while rotating the front down into the door.  My mistake was to go in from the outside of the car and then apply a little pressure to maneuver the glass.  It didn't take much pressure at all to crack the rear of the glass.  When I went in from the inside it slide right into place with no pressure needed at all.  

Also, I will need more of these clips to finish all the trim that goes at the base of the window and sweeps the glass as you role up and down.  Any idea where I can find this or an equivalent?

IMG_1067.jpg

IMG_1062.jpg

IMG_1068.jpg

Putting three point seatbelts in the back and front.  Thoughts on placement of top attachment for the back?  Conventional wisdom would place it in the "C" pillar at the rear of the quarter panel window, but I'm thinking that the front far corners of the package tray would lay across the passenger better? 

IMG_1069.jpg

Edited by NickPickToo
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, NickPickToo said:

Putting three point seatbelts in the back and front.  Thoughts on placement of top attachment for the back?  Conventional wisdom would place it in the "C" pillar at the rear of the quarter panel window, but I'm thinking that the front far corners of the package tray would lay across the passenger better? 

IMG_1069.jpg

Where did u get the board divide for the trunk.

1 hour ago, NickPickToo said:

I understand the advantages of that placement, but I'm long in the torso, so for me that would make the belt pull down on my shoulder.  

Are you considering installing adjustable hardware there, or for the front seat?  (As I said, I "sit tall", and my wife is pretty short, so we are constantly sliding the adjuster up and down.  I haven't decided whether I'll put 3-point belts in the rear set on my 4 door, but I AM planning to put height adjusters in the front.  Using some I saved out of a 93 Chrysler minivan I scrapped out.)

• Thanks 1

Also, I will need more of these clips to finish all the trim that goes at the base of the window and sweeps the glass as you role up and down.  Any idea where I can find this or an equivalent?

Try Neil Riddle, alias seaplym on ebay. He knows his mopar vehicles and has a lot of this type of stuff. Am enjoying your progress ?

• Thanks 1

IMG_1069.jpg

Where did u get the sound barrier and do u like it.

10 minutes ago, Dryerventwizard said:

Where did u get the sound barrier and do u like it.

Quiet Ride:  Yes, but its universal stuff so I'll be patching insolation in the edges for a bit longer.  The silencing patches on the roof and in the panels took almost all the echo twang out and its now a dull thump when I hit it.  Wear gloves with the insolation unless you want furry hands.

Edited by NickPickToo

14 minutes ago, NickPickToo said:

Quiet Ride:  Yes, but its universal stuff so I'll be patching insolation in the edges for a bit longer.  The silencing patches on the roof and in the panels took almost all the echo twang out and its now a dull thump when I hit it.  Wear gloves with the insolation unless you want furry hands.

14 minutes ago, NickPickToo said:

I have been trying to buy from them they will not reply back to me.

22 minutes ago, Dryerventwizard said:

I have been trying to buy from them they will not reply back to me.

We ordered this a few years ago now and its been in the adduct till recently.  two tricks,  You can order all universal packs, like we did, or look up their 1942 Plymouth kits.

Edited by NickPickToo

Class-Tech-Cars eBay store.  Purchased interior boards from same place.  fit well and much more sturdy than cutting from a cardboard box

Thank you! Their web site is  now bookmarked for when I need them.

• Like 1

You may want to look a a old rebuild ( for seat belt installs) by previous members Website that is still available but is moved to a odd sounding name, but do not get confused by the name as he is now into old Jeeps. His Mopar is Sold but he went through and documented his many repairs.

http://www.oldwillysforum.com/Plymouth/02-hom/home.html

Can someone else give up the name and site for this place that is  correct? For the clips he needs. They carry about all small pieces like these for all makes.

I think the name is Restoration Specialties. Last I heard that they were partially closed due to Pandemic, but still open, Undates?

DJ

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, DJ194950 said:

I think the name is Restoration Specialties. Last I heard that they were partially closed due to Pandemic, but still open, Undates?

I went out to the RS site and it is still operating.  They had a different fastener that may work and not too expensive to try.  Thank you

48 minutes ago, NickPickToo said:

I went out to the RS site and it is still operating.  They had a different fastener that may work and not too expensive to try.  Thank you

They were very helpful on the phone to me with my needs and with my measurements of parts needed and called back a day or two later with what they could supply.

Worth a call?

DJ

• Thanks 1

The rear window went in so much easier than the old glass came out.   Front window was an easy fit too.  placed the interior trim to visualize how its coming.  I sprayed the inside of the door with sound paint and also added 7 strips of sound absorption material.  Closing the door sounds sick. 

There were already two wholes in the package tray, so I'm going with that as the third point for the seat belts for now and will make a final call when we finish the insert for the tray.

IMG_1071.jpg

IMG_1077.jpg

IMG_1076.jpg

• Like 3

19 hours ago, NickPickToo said:

The rear window went in so much easier than the old glass came out.   Front window was an easy fit too.  placed the interior trim to visualize how its coming.  I sprayed the inside of the door with sound paint and also added 7 strips of sound absorption material.  Closing the door sounds sick. 

There were already two wholes in the package tray, so I'm going with that as the third point for the seat belts for now and will make a final call when we finish the insert for the tray.

IMG_1071.jpg

IMG_1077.jpg

IMG_1076.jpg

I see u useing something on the rear window how did u put it in.