My First Car -- P15 1947 Plymouth Deluxe

NickPickToo
Go to solution Solved by kbuhagiar,

11 hours ago, NickPickToo said:

Some of the surfaces seem to have dried nicely, but I'll be sanding and buffing out orange peel for a long time on some of the other sections.

Cutting and buffing is a good winter project. If you use a professional buffing compound it will go much quicker than you expect. I recently rejuvenated really poor 15-year-old paint on a TR6 with 1200 wet-dry paper and this compound:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002ZQ016/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

51XqNugRK3L._AC_SS350_.jpg

Don't sand in a circular pattern, straight lines only, and I used a lambs wool pad on a rotary buffer. If you want a really deep gloss finish up with a foam pad and polishing compound. The professional products are several steps above the consumer products you buy at a local auto parts house.

It's gonna look great!

Edited by Sam Buchanan
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, NickPickToo said:

Fitting the fender weld now.  I really like the black accent on the charlotte ivory so I'm planning on keeping it black initially.  I can always paint over it later if I change my mind.

Nick, if you are going to be wet-sanding paint you might want to hold off on the fender welting. The cutting and buffing process is pretty messy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, NickPickToo said:

Fitting the fender weld now.  I really like the black accent on the charlotte ivory so I'm planning on keeping it black initially.  I can always paint over it later if I change my mind.

IMG_1026.jpg

You can also buy chrome fender welt,and it really "pops" with dark colors,and IMHO,looks good with paler colors,also.

2 hours ago, Sam Buchanan said:

Nick, if you are going to be wet-sanding paint you might want to hold off on the fender welting. The cutting and buffing process is pretty messy.

Will do.  Just making the fit right now.

1 hour ago, knuckleharley said:

You can also buy chrome fender welt,and it really "pops" with dark colors,and IMHO,looks good with paler colors,also.

Chrome was a thought too.  Would have matched the stainless trim better, but black was less expensive.  

17 minutes ago, Frank Elder said:

The paint will never stay on the black plastic welting......it might look good for a little while and then it will start to peel, I would recommend against it.

Its kind of a pleather material as opposed to plastic.  I can picture what you mean, but the material looks like it should hold paint better than plastic?

1 hour ago, Adam H P15 D30 said:

Maybe try it without welting, probably look much smoother...

The seem looks much better with the welting than without.  I'd have to use filler if I went without.  I like the welting. Torn though on that nice contrast between the black and ivory.  What to do....

IMG_1029.jpg

Edited by NickPickToo

My thoughts as others, do not paint it. Take the time to at least loosen fender bolts and mask as needed.

I bought a car that already had the welting painted and it it has caused nothing but problems on top of the cracked paint on the welt as the paint fills the small spaces between the body and fender.  Needed to do many small repairs that never seemed to end.  Still not right but OK. Try to remove anything with out causing all kinds of issues of the paint of the body / welt / fender. area. ..Likes to chip here and there. Also glues the parts together.

Not worth the small time savings- my experience on two cars only, but- --

DJ

If I'm remembering correctly someone on the forum painted their fenders on the car by leaving the welt off and putting a couple washers between fender and body. That way it could still be bolted tight but you can make sure to get paint right to the edge. Then remove bolts a few at a time and insert the welting

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Young Ed said:

If I'm remembering correctly someone on the forum painted their fenders on the car by leaving the welt off and putting a couple washers between fender and body. That way it could still be bolted tight but you can make sure to get paint right to the edge. Then remove bolts a few at a time and insert the welting

That somebody was me.  I used u-shaped fender washers so I could pull them right out as I went along inserting the welt.  The prior owner had gotten paint on the original black plastic welting and it took me a good few hours to clean everything off, using a variety of non-abrasive products.   When I got done, the welting looked like new.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NickPickToo said:

Its kind of a pleather material as opposed to plastic.  I can picture what you mean, but the material looks like it should hold paint better than plastic?

The seem looks much better with the welting than without.  I'd have to use filler if I went without.  I like the welting. Torn though on that nice contrast between the black and ivory.  What to do....

IMG_1029.jpg

don't paint that either.......?I'm glad you posted the picture.

edit read Young Ed and Jersey Harold's post about the U shaped washers......

Edited by Frank Elder
  • Thanks 1

On 10/16/2020 at 7:21 PM, NickPickToo said:

IMG_1026.jpg

I REALLY like this look together... The contrast with the Welt is not something you see often...

But then again, I am probably the "Crazy Uncle" of this forum sitting in the corner drinking beer and mumbling about how we leaded or glassed the seams on our cars...

IMG_0022.thumb.JPG.dfed0aef3746314dbc3cbc88e90413c2.JPG

4.27.2019a.jpeg

16 minutes ago, casper50 said:

cut around where the fender bolts go through and press it down. Tighten bolts.

Ok, no temporary fixation with glue ?  Or handy to do with 2 persons.

Edited by Cudan

1 hour ago, Cudan said:

Hi Nick, 

nice work, how do you fixate the welting, with kit or glue ?

Dan

I slit an X into the fabric at each bolt point and insert the bolt one at a time, stretching it tight but still over the fender well.  then when I put the fender on I had to be sure the piping was on the outside as I tightened the fender bolts.  Would have been easier with two, but I did this myself.  

Don't paint it. The paint comes off later.

Same with the X  in the welt, it might push out over time. I learned from grandpa to put a V cut and bend as you tighten the bolts.

Of course just my thoughts.?

• Like 1

I wouldn't paint the fenders attached to the car.  You've got/had them off already, make it easier on yourself and paint / polish them while off the car.  You won't have to move the whole car around, just the fenders.  You'll be happier with the results along that seam as well.

Edited by Dan Hiebert

I have some free time today, so I'll make the choice easier on him by removing the fenders while he's at school.  FYI, his cross country team won their Catholic League meet this past weekend.  Nicholas (and five others on his team) received All Catholic League designation (finishing in top 20).  17:20 was not his fastest time ever, but by far his fasted time on the specific course (one of the more difficult courses in the area).  His team runs a meet this weekend to hopefully qualify for the regional meet and their chances are good (not given).  

Edited by NickPick'sCrew
  • Like 3