My First Car -- P15 1947 Plymouth Deluxe

NickPickToo
Go to solution Solved by kbuhagiar,

No objections to Dad making progress while I'm at school.  The inner fenders are back from sandblasting too.   Now that I've done a floor, patching that whole on the left side doesn't seem so difficult. right side looks like a new part. 

IMG_0940.jpg

IMG_0941.jpg

IMG_0942.jpg

Edited by NickPickToo

8 hours ago, NickPick'sCrew said:

Now that's the kind of knowledge that only comes from real experience.  Thank you for sharing.  I cant replicate the collective experience of this forum for Nicholas.  I can only pass on a since of skepticism as it relates to price points that seem out of line for the likely work as well as a habit of thinking through priorities, capabilities and self valuation as he considers what he can do himself.   What ever value you believe your passing on to the younger members of this forum, I assure you that you're underestimating it by a wide margin.  

Thank you.

It's no secret that body and paint work is the biggest rip-off in the auto repair market. With mechanical stuff,it either works correctly right away,or it doesn't. Body and paint men cover their crap work with shiny paint,and you can't see the slop work done under it until a year or two down the road after your money is already spent and there is no possibility of a refund.

2 hours ago, NickPick'sCrew said:

Our closest macco wouldn't take it.  Anyway, I'm having more fun than Nicholas with this right now.  He gets filling and sanding while I keep getting the perfect paint days while he is in school.   This is another round of epoxy after Nicholas's first round of sanding filling and sanding.  Same omniflow product we rolled on last week, but I invested $30 into a HPLV gravity feed gun at Harbor Freight.   Much more evenly applied and less messy too.  I suspect Nicholas has at least one more round of filling and sanding, maybe two. 

IMG_0939.jpg

WOW! You bought a rotisserie!

How did you get the trees to spin upside down,too? That's a really neat trick!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, NickPick'sCrew said:

Not sure why our photos are loading upside down now with the new software.  Doors are back from sandblasting, revealing a nice little crease on the driver side.   Going to be fun filling and sanding that.

IMG_0928.jpg

IMG_0929.jpg

Gonna be pretty hard sanding that standing on your head.

Still have no idea why these are loading upside down on this forum.  Probably issue with my phone as older photos load correctly.  Anyway, we applied Urethane Primer today.  From the Omni-smooth (Eastwood) roll on kit.  Of course we cheated and used the $30 HPLV sprayer from Harbor Freight.  Our skills with the roller did not match up to the instructional video. 

IMG_0946.jpg

13 minutes ago, Dryerventwizard said:

Wow that looks nice.

Thanks,  It still has its issues, but Nicholas is running into budgetary and time constraints.  His help is running into time constraints as well.   We're having to pick priorities.  Right now we're in a race with the changing seasons.   If the weather holds stat for a bit longer, we may see color on this body soon.  That would clear his critical path for glass and interior.  

Edited by NickPick'sCrew

The body work will take more than a month.

They don't call it work for nothing.

Mine took 6 months just work on the weekends.

I learned to only trust my sense of touch, not my eyes for a smooth surface.

I also learned to use a high build primer, not a epoxy sealer.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Dryerventwizard said:

Believe me its that old adage. Time and money it is hard to have both. Unless ur rich and most of us aren't. I either don't have time or when I have time then I don't have enough money. We just do are best and sometimes that means it takes a little longer.

If it was too easy,it wouldn't be as much fun.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Vin's 49 Plymouth said:

The body work will take more than a month.

They don't call it work for nothing.

Mine took 6 months just work on the weekends.

I learned to only trust my sense of touch, not my eyes for a smooth surface.

I also learned to use a high build primer, not a epoxy sealer.

The high build urethane does goes on light years better than the epoxy, no doubt.  Vin your '49 is absolutely beautiful.  When the photos with the Yellow paint showed up it really showed the care you put into it.   It's a standard Nicholas can aspire to for sure.  I suspect he'll have a few more phases in his life where he can take his '47 to the next level. 

For now we're leaving three very important longer term issues untouched.  The lower front cowl section up to the door wells really should be replaced some day.  For now we are focusing primarily on structural reinforcement and sealing it off from the elements.   Same goes for the trunk deck edge and both of the lower rear panels on either side.  We're focusing on cleaning that up and sealing it from the elements, but again, it will need to be replaced in the future.  The rear inner fender wells will also need more permanent repair in the future.  We're cleaning some, and encapsulating some for now.  As solid as the floor seems now, I suspect it will need more attention after it sees a few thousand miles. Not a knock on Nicholas's welding, just a strong suspicion given how we had to modify the braces. 

For us the priority is getting it safely operable, looking sharp, well sealed from the elements and out of the sprawling project phase.  I'm not sure where Nicholas will end up going to college (or for work thereafter), but if it's not local he wont be doing much work on it at all until he's in a position and has the space to make another run at it.  Right now he's got his sights set on schools in PA, TN, MA and MI.

I'll keep it safe for him as long as he'd like me to, and work on items that allows him to get to other phases, but it is Nicholas's project and he's fallen in love with it so I suspect it will stick with him for a while.

Edited by NickPick'sCrew
  • Like 2

I like your attitude. Let him experience the  joy of building HIS first car as much as possible. That is a joy that truly has to be experienced to understand. Taking it away from him would be cheating him.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NickPickToo said:

Wet sanded this afternoon.  Almost ready for the money coat ?

IMG_0955.jpg

Do you have a rotisserie to use to paint it?

If not,you might ask around to see if anyone has one they will rent you. It sure would make getting a nice even coat everywhere when you paint it.

17 hours ago, knuckleharley said:

Do you have a rotisserie to use to paint it?

If not,you might ask around to see if anyone has one they will rent you. It sure would make getting a nice even coat everywhere when you paint it.

We have a homemade rotisserie, but its tough on the rear end so were not using it now.   We really underestimated the amount of paint we would need for a first coat so painted everything except the top.  I'll probably regret that, but really don't know.   Dad, ordered more paint and should be enough to paint the roof and then two more coats on the whole body.   If only it dries as nice as it looks wet. 

IMG_0966.jpg

IMG_0965.jpg

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, NickPickToo said:

We have a homemade rotisserie, but its tough on the rear end so were not using it now.   We really underestimated the amount of paint we would need for a first coat so painted everything except the top.  I'll probably regret that, but really don't know.   Dad, ordered more paint and should be enough to paint the roof and then two more coats on the whole body.   If only it dries as nice as it looks wet. 

IMG_0966.jpg

IMG_0965.jpg

I like it! Light colors are a LOT easier to live with. Easier to paint,they don't show dents or dirt,and if you leave the car parked and locked in the sun for a few hours,it's not so hot in there it busts your brains out.