My First Car -- P15 1947 Plymouth Deluxe

NickPickToo
Go to solution Solved by kbuhagiar,

9 hours ago, sidevalvepete said:

Nick, when you have finished Conrad, see if you can get your teacher to do Kerouac's On the Road as the next assignment. Epic story for those that yearn for the freedom of the highway.

We're unfortunately already locked in for the semester.  Macbeth, Beowulf, Heart of Darkness and Sir Gawain and the Green Knight. I'd assume this was designed to be so painful to make the present situation less painful, but I understand it's the standard list.  The upside is that we get to watch Apocalypse Now when we read Conrad.

6 minutes ago, Los_Control said:

Looks great from Texas  ;)

And before our friends from Oz chime in...it'll looks great from down under...down under the sound proofing and carpet ?

Edited by NickPickToo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have a couple old license pates that may do double duty as a floor ... when my list of things get to floor ... there is just so many items in front ... nothing wrong with just making what you have work...

Back in the day, there was no way they had the resources you or I do ... they did what they could.

Never be ashamed or brow beaten from another for your work, looks great and keep moving forward.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Sam Buchanan said:

Keep that welder humming...or sizzlin'...or sparking....or whatever......    ?

My dad's trying to make me memorize some silly saying:  "This is my welder, there are many like it but this one is mine..."  

He said that some of you would get it.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Questions for the gurus

A) Is the back seat of a club coupe the same as the back seat for the 2dr sedan?

b) The back three windows for the club coupe (rear, and of course L & R) are all different, but are all the  windows in front of the B pillar the same?

c) is the rear fender and the stainless trim going to the back the same?

d) are there any other major differences?

Asking for a friend

Thank you Mr. C.  It was a hypothetical.  My "friend" was having a moment of weakness given the trouble we...he was having with his floor.  There is a 47 club coupe for sell 30 miles away that may be priced well.  My Dad explained to me that even if the floor and braces are solid, and while it may solve the floor issues, it would be a whole new break down and clean up putting me out another few years.

Right now we are having trouble getting the braces to set flat on the bottom side of the franken-floor, so getting a strong welding seem seems impossible.  Dad wants me to think about safety more than anything else..  Our plan is to bolt the braces to the floor.  Three bolts per side on each brace so 18 or so bolts,washers and lock nuts.  Wont be pretty but would hold solid and perhaps improve the fit around the weld points too.

Not very pretty, but the braces are aligned and firm.  The braces lay flat in enough places where I can weld the braces in for extra measure.  Also plan to weld the bolts in place.  Looking at it from here, I could have just as easily used corrugated steal roofing. 

My dad is suggesting I use some type of flexible sealant in the creases on the bottom before we POR 15 and then undercoat it.  Any suggestions?

IMG_0803[526].jpg

Edited by NickPickToo
  • Like 1

Nick, if you want to refine the appearance you could take an angle grinder with a cut-off wheel and knock of the ends of the bolts even with the nuts. Give the ends of the cut-off bolts a dab of POR-15 for corrosion protection.

Nobody is going to be crawling under your car and the floors will look fantastic with 2" shag carp.........er, a new plush carpet kit.  ?