My First Car -- P15 1947 Plymouth Deluxe

NickPickToo
Go to solution Solved by kbuhagiar,

8 hours ago, casper50 said:

Nick here's two photos of some of the large amount of metal I replaced.

100761931_10223068970143008_7399072510236426240_n.jpg

102311792_10223068968182959_2890073228506562560_n.jpg

Wow,

That makes the previous photo's that much more impressive.  Mr. C, I'm reluctant to dig in this deep this time around, I'd like to drive it to high school at least once before I graduate.

for sure....it only take a short bit of time and of course always the proper tools to do things proper in regard to long term fix on body panels.  Learn early in life to do it right and forge ahead never looking back or worrying about when that bondo is going to pop off or that rust hole reemerges.  You are at the age you need to learn the right methods and not pick up bad habits...the worse of these bad  habits is complacency...cutting corners will quickly bite you in the butt....many pick the fruit from the low hanging limbs only because they never try to reach higher...

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

1 minute ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

..cutting corners will quickly bite you in the butt....many pick the fruit from the low hanging limbs only because they never try to reach higher...

Truer words were never spoken.

Years ago I was approached by a manager of a different group where I worked, he was trying to talk me into working for him.  In the course of the conversation I mentioned I was lazy, to which he said that wasn't true and that I was one of the hardest working people he knew.  That I got in there , fixed it and moved on.  I explained that being a lazy man I fixed it right the first time so that I never had to mess with it again.  He said he'd never looked at it that way. 

• Like 3

when the interviewer asked the applicant about his single worse weak point the man replied his frank honesty, interviewer stated he did not think that honesty could be a weak point where upon the man said he didn't give a crap what he thought.    Never knew if he got hired or not....

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

The modification shown is for attachment points 4 & 5.  As modified it reaches to the mounting point and then just touches the inner rocker plate.  Side notches allow it to clear the bolts holding the mount in place (I'll try to seal that up when we get the floor tacked in place and take the body back off the frame)

Now I'm thinking about point 3, the one that dips down.  Perhaps the same universal brace but with the middle track cut out on the dropped end.  Then fab sides that run down at an angle and a bottom to sit on the mount.  Can you see it?

IMG_0762.jpg

IMG_0763.jpg

On 6/28/2020 at 11:35 AM, Sam Buchanan said:

Nick, build the car you want......you don't have to please anyone else.     ?

Gents, thank you all for your encouragement.  One of the reasons Nicholas is passing on the rear metal work for now is actually pragmatic.  He has no other transportation right now other than borrowing his mom or mine -- and that's done sparingly.  If he doesn't have this driving by the time school starts, well....why he doesn't have alternative transportation is a story for another thread ?

Now to brag a bit.  He's still going to cross country practice every morning during the week, he's tutoring a close friend how to play trombone (this kid hasn't played since Jr High and now want to join the band as a senior in high school because he misses hanging out with Nicholas and his other band friends), and he's been working at Kroger since the pandemic broke out, packing groceries for those of us who would rather not go in.   He's also working on college applications (any of you happen to have connections with admissions ?).

Getting the car street legal by mid August is a tall order, but I'm betting he gets it done.  I'm also betting there will be some work that will wait to be done in his own time (and also on his own dime).  Right now we're in a holding pattern waiting for a few key floor parts that should make fitting everything else easier, so he's fabricating and patching bits and pieces here and there to move it things along.

Edited by NickPick'sCrew

On 6/27/2020 at 6:31 PM, NickPickToo said:

I know I'm getting a little ahead here, but visualizing the goal helps keep you going.

IMG_0755.jpg

I think it looks awesome, just keep doing what you are doing, is how we learn.

The photo at the top of the page is pretty dark but looks like some active rust.

using the mud is fine, but if the rust is still active, will only be a few months before it shows through the new paint.

If you sprayed a rust converter like ospho on it, killed the rust, you might get 5 years or more from it.

Looks like it will be in a area you will never see ... there is no right or wrong, do what works for you.

Rust is something we will always be fighting on these old cars, learning different ways to deal with it will be beneficial.

This conversation has helped me through a road block ... I think, I got my gallon of 85% phosphoric acid the other day and yesterday started experimenting with it and very pleased, today am getting some bigger areas have my fingers crossed. Working on the roof of the cab today.

23 minutes ago, Los_Control said:

If you sprayed a rust converter like ospho on it, killed the rust, you might get 5 years or more from it

I'm convinced if you apply rust converter, prep the surface to remove the dust created by the rust converter (I used 80 grit to give bite for the primer) then apply epoxy primer, you can get far more than 5 years. If oxygen can't get to the surface, it won't rust. The rust converter kills the rust and the epoxy primer seals the surface from oxygen. I'm no expert though. 

3 hours ago, Bbdakota said:

POR15 on heavily rusted areas (hidden areas) will stop rust, that stuff is amazing on heavily rusted areas. Not for use on smooth surfaces, not uv stabile.

We used it on the frame then put a top coat over it before it was completely dry. I plan to use it where I just can't clean up well

I asked Dad if there was an easy way to flatten out the universal tunnel to fit the attachment point from my old tunnel.   I guess it was just more obvious to him because of his weight advantage.  Universal tunnel also from EMS.

IMG_1607.jpeg

Edited by NickPickToo
  • Haha 1

Weight advantage??

What your honorable father was employing was an ingenious and appropriate application of the polar characteristics of the ferrous content of terra firma's core which results in a gravitational attraction to all objects dependent on their mass and distance from the center of the earth.

Be respectful, young man.  ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

• 4 weeks later...

Frankin-floor is just about in and we will be moving the chassis back under the body to tack the braces back in place probably tomorrow.   I'd share pics of the floor, but in its present state, the FCC might shut me down for broadcasting inappropriate content on the internet.  "The Horror."   I get to read The Heart of Darkness this year in English 4.

• Like 1