My First Car -- P15 1947 Plymouth Deluxe

NickPickToo
Go to solution Solved by kbuhagiar,

Transmission went on easier the second time and no major leaks.  I'm not sure it's shifting into first and I'm for sure not getting reverse.  Even when I try to move that specific lever on the transmission its not making a difference.  Any ideas?IMG_0662.jpg.990fbed2cb90b1602400551bb147fb5d.jpg

14 hours ago, Sam Buchanan said:

I had to adjust the linkage after installing new tranny mounts.....couldn’t find all the gears. Your project looks great!

Not sure it's a linkage issue.  The front lever on the transmission closest to the engine (moves when shifter is rotated) is working fine, shifting into three positions.  The rear lever moves when the shifter is lifted up and down.  Even when the linkage is disconnected and I move it manually, its not really shifting.  It moves with little or no resistance.  Is there a common issue with this lever that could be causing this.  I did notice when we were working on the transmission that the attachment point for this specific lever had a tendency to want to fall into the casing /  housing.  Perhaps something internal slipped out of place? 

Transmissions won’t always shift between gears easily when there is no shaft rotation. Since you already have it installed, have a helper (Dad) rotate the tail shaft while you manipulate the shift levers to see if you can select all gear ranges. Ideally this would be done by rotating the input shaft and watch the tail shaft speed change to variety the gear changes. 

57 minutes ago, NickPickToo said:

Not sure it's a linkage issue.  The front lever on the transmission closest to the engine (moves when shifter is rotated) is working fine, shifting into three positions.  The rear lever moves when the shifter is lifted up and down.  Even when the linkage is disconnected and I move it manually, its not really shifting.  It moves with little or no resistance.  Is there a common issue with this lever that could be causing this.  I did notice when we were working on the transmission that the attachment point for this specific lever had a tendency to want to fall into the casing /  housing.  Perhaps something internal slipped out of place? 

The shift housing is easy to remove, just follow the manual procedure. That will allow you to determine if something is out of whack in the housing.

You should find this recent thread an interesting read:

https://p15-d24.com/topic/52787-no-reverse-or-first-gear/

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Sam Buchanan said:

The shift housing is easy to remove, just follow the manual procedure. That will allow you to determine if something is out of whack in the housing.

You should find this recent thread an interesting read:

https://p15-d24.com/topic/52787-no-reverse-or-first-gear/

This was helpful and funny.  We got all four positions to work but now need to fine tune the linkage.

2 hours ago, NickPick'sCrew said:

I shot this photo when he asked me to install the clutch fork for him.  You would think he'd be interested how I did it...

IMG_0658.jpg

The kid has great potential as a corporate executive.......get the peasants to do the dirty work....     ?

Edited by Sam Buchanan
  • Haha 2

The best part about the frame-off joy ride is that you can work on issues more easily with the body out of the way.  This is what we noticed

First, we know for sure the shifter linkage needs to be tightened up

The second one is more difficult.  After the engine heats up quite a bit it's stalling out.  At first my dad suspected vapor lock, but there is another symptom we're not sure about.  The carbs begin leaking at the seems and spitting out some of the crevasses. Perhaps its just poor gasket seals and loosening bolts?   What is your experiences with these types of issues?

2 minutes ago, 48ply1stcar said:

I like the air cleaner.  What are the parts for the air cleaner, did I miss it in postings?

We found "Edmonds Custom's" on eBay.  The filters are stacked, so I'm not sure it will fit under the hood yet.  If they don't, it looks like a pretty simple modification to make them single.

Question.  Is there an easy way to determine if the thermostat is properly working as the engine heats up.   I'm certainly getting some flow because the radiator is heating up, but how you tell if that's just the flow from the bypass or from the thermostat opening up without having to take the Thermostat housing apart?

40 minutes ago, NickPickToo said:

Is there an easy way to determine if the thermostat is properly working as the engine heats up. 

Is the engine overheating? A properly working cooling system  and a 180 degree T-stat it should run at 180 degrees. No idea what temp your T stat is.

If you are having a over heating issue, checking the T-stat is one of the first things to check ... I put them in a pan of water and as long as the T-stat opens before the water boils .... I assume it is working.

• Like 1

I would think that when the engine is first started (cold), you should not be able to detect any circulation (or gradual warming) of the water in the radiator until the engine reaches operating temperature, and the thermostat opens.  (I'm not saying this from personal testing - this just seems logical to me.)

Regarding testing the thermostat, my dad always tested it in a pot of water, using a cooking thermometer to verify that it was opening at the proper temp.