My First Car -- P15 1947 Plymouth Deluxe

NickPickToo
Go to solution Solved by kbuhagiar,

1 hour ago, Sam Buchanan said:

If the screen is hard to source just put a filter ahead of the pump.

May do this anyway ?  Dad's tractor has two bowls, one is a filter and one is the pump and its a good look.  I just have to figure out how to make it look like the original engineers would have wanted it there but were told to take it out to keep the cost down.

Install it as-is........you can make the painting decision after you live with the running car for awhile.....save the decal until after the final choice.  

Nice early Christmas.  :)

Edited by Sam Buchanan
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Sam Buchanan said:

Install it as-is........you can make the painting decision after you live with the running car for awhile.....save the decal until after the final choice.  

Nice early Christmas.  :)

Dad says that's what he told Mom when we moved into our house.  He says she wanted to paint the whole house at first but after living in it for a year, we only painted the kitchen and the master bath.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Frank Elder said:

Please don't paint the oil cannister......it really does look good with the contrasting Ivory and fire plug red against the silver block.

Dirty but you can see the effect.

I'm convinced.  It stays as is.

Sam, I fabricated a manifold block with 18 gage mild steel using the gasket as a template IMG_0389.jpg.f76881babd9f225099397141873708a9.jpg

1 hour ago, NickPickToo said:

Sam, I fabricated a manifold block with 18 gage mild steel using the gasket as a template IMG_0389.jpg.f76881babd9f225099397141873708a9.jpg

Looks good, should work nicely. You can try a fit-up with the plate and gasket, maybe the manifold holes will slide over the studs ok. Mine didn't so I had to eliminate the gasket and instead use a liberal coat of red RTV on the exhaust manifold. Once the two manifolds are cinched up you should have a tight fit.

1 minute ago, NickPickToo said:

At this point it's difficult not to equate perfect with drivable, but I hear you sir.

You have worked so hard and are just getting to the fun part....Make it perfect FOR YOU... I have been at it for nearly 3 years and mine is still "ugly" but it has character and I love it

• Like 1

Here's a hint from my brother, who was a professional painter, eventually painting jet liners (even the royal jet for a Middle East king):

After you think your surface work is finished, and primer has been wet sanded, shoot it with a clear.  The shininess will allow you to see the really small imperfections you cannot feel (mostly small scratches from sanding, or very small dimples, etc.).

• 2 weeks later...

to bad you are forbidden to eat that until the car project is finished! ?

dj

Look what we brought home this evening.  Thanks again to Adams Engines in Howell, MI.  Mr. Adams (Mark) learned how to work on engines on the factory floor.  It's been resurfaced, rehoned, reground and resealed.  New pistons, valves and bearings.  Only a few new valve seats because some were in good shape.  New oil pump, gaskets and head bolts.   Almost tempted to lock in that patina with some clear coat, but only almost.  Cant wait to see this with new paint.   Plan to work on this with Dad and my older brother who will be back from college over the holiday break and we may get to hear this engine purr before Christmas. 

IMG_0424.jpg

IMG_0425.jpg

IMG_0427.jpg

• Like 2