Bad Reproduction Fender Stone Guards on Ebay

linus6948

I want to know who the hell this mystery seller is ... I have been buying a lot on ebay for the 48 , and I don't want to get stuck with some sellers crap .... Can we just say the damn name already ??? I don't care if he's a member here or not , if he's selling garbage he needs to be outed as such so those of us "not in the know" don't get burned ... This has effectively stopped my e-buying for the dodge .... 

Edited by Dale Gribble
  • Like 2

dale........I'd be happy to name him if I could remember who his name was but I don't so unfortunately I can't be much help BUT I've checked the ebay listing and it is from a guy in Farmingdale NY which was where this other guy was from so I wouldn't buy from anyone from that place or with the same ebay name.........if this persons name comes to mind I'll let you know..........hopefully someone else may remember him.............Andy Douglas   

On 7/20/2018 at 8:44 PM, desoto1939 said:

The person Is based in NY and also is selling alot repo gas tanks and he had a dodge coupe that was a ground up resto several years ago.  so you might figure out this person by these clues.

He did a P-15.  Did he also do a Dodge????

He uses  "WOW" a lot in his ads.

Per Google, two spellings for "tinker's dam",  or "-damn". 

"Tinker's-dam: a wall of dough raised around a place which a plumber desires to flood with a coat of solder. The material can be but once used; being consequently thrown away as worthless". 

-or no damn good. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DonaldSmith said:

Per Google, two spellings for "tinker's dam",  or "-damn". 

"Tinker's-dam: a wall of dough raised around a place which a plumber desires to flood with a coat of solder. The material can be but once used; being consequently thrown away as worthless". 

-or no damn good. 

Yeah, I realized that after I made the post.

15 hours ago, ptwothree said:

That's him.  I bought one of those tanks....nice piece and fits well.

Is it powder coated on the inside,also?

If not,was the inside coated with anything else,like galvanizing?

Edited by knuckleharley

It has been said already - but I can only second the review in regard to Neil. He even once recommended me away from his offering to a competitive vendor because he felt the other one being more suitable for my need. What I can also definitely recommend is to approach him directly (even through ebay) as he certainly has more available than listed in ebay at any given time.

i have bought many parts from that vendor including two fuel tanks (53 dodge, and 46 plymouth sedan) the tanks are excellent reproductions.

i also bought a set of chrome trims from the ny vendor for $134.00 on ebay second chance offer deal, and they fit like a glove........ i do not see how there could be an issue its 4 bolts?

I saw no problem with fit and finish given they were inexpensive is meaningless.

-Walter

Neil would contact me also when i was looking for certain items that he didn't have but he knew of someone who did. I traded many items I had left over to him and he always treated me fair. He's one of the most knowledgeable guys about plymouths I've talked to and my wagon certainly looks nicer because of all the help he gave me when I was looking for trim and accessories . Thanks Neil 

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Is Neil located in New Jersey?

DJ

On 7/26/2018 at 3:35 PM, knuckleharley said:

Is it powder coated on the inside,also?

If not,was the inside coated with anything else,like galvanizing?

No, looks like bare metal.  That may or not be a problem. I figure it will be the next guy worry as I'm sure it will out live me.  I keep the tank full when possible.

41 minutes ago, Don Coatney said:

How is it possible to galvanize only one side of a sheet of medal?

Beats me. I figured it would be obvious to anyone reading what I wrote that it may have been powder coated over the galvanizing on the outside.

On 7/21/2018 at 5:51 PM, Plymouthy Adams said:

I did not want to comment and held off for some time....few things of note....first, the ad clearly shows the dimples where the studs are attached and the not so patterned placement of said studs, Second, stud location can be a problem for fenders already prepped for said shields.  If new install the holes will be drilled where needed...use a paper transfer.  Third option is to just accept your car being produced, sold and later acquired by yourself without the shields.  4TH, commission a run these yourself with the supplier of your choice.    But then I usually see things different than many others.

i agree 100% JUST BE HAPPY SOMEONE LAID OUT THE MONEY TO MAKE SOME PARTS THAT WERENT AVAILABLE THEY LOOK GREAT ON MY CAR AND GREAT IN THE PICTURE....

-walter

• Like 1

After looking at the first set of pictures again we all can see the difference in the twometal stone guard or shields when they are placed next to each other. So my first question is did either one of there fit the bolt pattern on the fender on your car?  If one did then the other side either right or left in this case was manufactured or reproduced incorrectly.  I would have taken pictures and then notified the seller of the issue with the stone guard onthe car to show that it did fir if it did and how the other would not fit onthe fender.  

The person that had these manufactured or reproduced needs to know thisinformation so he can go back to his supplier and have the issue corrected becsue if they are not corret he will be sitting on a stock pile of stainless steel that can not be sold.  I would have given him the chance to review the issue and have him send you another pair to try onthe car or even look at the ones he has in his warehouse to reverify the issue.

I feel that he should have looked at his supply, maybe he got a bad one and may the others are good.  If he is a seller of parts, and I have an idea who he is, then there will alwasy be the possibility to some item being made incorrectly.

I would hope that the seller would reachout to you in a PM and contact you and try to resolve the issue in a private manner and make good on the item.  If the item is really bad then he should make good on the item. He is selling the item in good faith and should always stand behind the item if incorrectly made. If he does not then he will be out of business because buyers will be very cautious to buying  items beacsue he will not refund any money or resend an new item to replace the damaged or incorrectly made item.

I sell items and if someting is incorrect then I either refund the funds or try to get the correct part to the buyer.  I know there have been issues with vendors not sending the correct part but the majority of them try to correct the issue.  They want our business so they all should try to help. Their money stream depends on selling the parts without issues.

Contact the seller with a PM or on ebay send a message to the seller to have him call you to discuss the issue.  You make the first step and see what happens.

Rich HArtung

Desoto1939@aol.com

I guess since we are still playing a Clue game see-

eBay User ID History.html