Went to the Chevy dealer., what did I find?

austinsailor

Only 1 repaint. Has the auto type transmission, tip toe, I guess. No restoration. Inside looks pretty much like a 2 year old car. 

Strangely, on the rack around the corner is a 60 Lark made up to be a police car. Someone is getting it as a birthday present. 

They were just trying to class the joint up a little.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

It was probably sold at Columbia Motors, which was in downtown Columbia, Plymouth Desoto. In 62 I was working around the corner at Boone County Motors, the Dodge Chrysler dealer since maybe '29. They tore down Columbia Motors in '62. The downtown location of Chrysler went on a few more years.  

I don't know who owns the old Desoto, but I'm going to find out. I need to know him!

Edited by austinsailor

The ultra rare vintage professional mechanic...That would draw people in with old carbureted cars for sure. Folks with plenty of cash to spend. What is the hourly dealer shop rate these days in those parts? I'll guess $140/hr. Its about that around here.  So I, like so many others turn the wrenches as much as possible. Finding this site has been an invaluable source of info and support.

The DeSoto does look real nice. Glad to see it's being taken care of.

8 hours ago, keithb7 said:

The ultra rare vintage professional mechanic...That would draw people in with old carbureted cars for sure. Folks with plenty of cash to spend. What is the hourly dealer shop rate these days in those parts? I'll guess $140/hr. Its about that around here.  So I, like so many others turn the wrenches as much as possible. Finding this site has been an invaluable source of info and support.

The DeSoto does look real nice. Glad to see it's being taken care of.

Even $140 bucks per hour for labor is cheap if you are not a gear head that enjoys working on your car,and you have to buy the tools to do it yourself. Lots of people love owning and driving old cars,but have no interest in doing mechanical repairs.

1 hour ago, knuckleharley said:

Even $140 bucks per hour for labor is cheap if you are not a gear head that enjoys working on your car,and you have to buy the tools to do it yourself. Lots of people love owning and driving old cars,but have no interest in doing mechanical repairs.

I won't disagree. I seem to suffer from "not being able to pay someone to fix something that I can learn to do".  A Every time I do a new job I learn more, and 9 times out of 10 I save more than enough money to pay for any tools needed. The next time I put the tools to use again, then it really feels good. The experience to me, is invaluable. I know this is not everyone's mantra.

There are times when I look around at all the vehicles, mechanical toys with engines, lawn mowers, leaf blowers, weed whackers, and more around here, I second guess what the heck l I am doing. Trying to keep everything maintained and well serviced. I get 'er done. It keeps me out of trouble while my neighbours hit the gym and buy a new car every 5 years. LOL.

I digress, it makes me happy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, keithb7 said:

I digress, it makes me happy.

And that is the only thing that really matters.

My son in law went to an auction sale recently for the Crown taxi cab company in Kansas City who has gone out of business.

They were selling everything including 8 Studebaker Larks (5 still running) which had been used as cabs at one time.  I think

the current fleet had been Ford sedans.  Guess he didn't get a picture of one.  He did buy me and himself  "taxi" signs that

go on the car roof.....brand new and unused.   

• Like 1

Brings back memories.  In 1957 our family drove a 1950 DeSoto from Illinois to Fort Dix, NJ to see my brother enlisted there.  Farthest away from home I'd ever been at about 15 years old.  Still remember how smooth that old car was.  Actually only 7 years old at the time.  Highlight for me was going through the tunnels in PA on the PA turnpike.  Not much in the way of Interstates then.  

Just learned yesterday that two of those tunnels were abandoned in 1968. Rays Tunnel and Sideling Hill Tunnel..    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s4c0CkCPng

• Like 1

On 7/22/2018 at 5:13 AM, 46Ply said:

Brings back memories.  In 1957 our family drove a 1950 DeSoto from Illinois to Fort Dix, NJ to see my brother enlisted there.  Farthest away from home I'd ever been at about 15 years old.  Still remember how smooth that old car was.  Actually only 7 years old at the time.  Highlight for me was going through the tunnels in PA on the PA turnpike.  Not much in the way of Interstates then.  

Just learned yesterday that two of those tunnels were abandoned in 1968. Rays Tunnel and Sideling Hill Tunnel..    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s4c0CkCPng

Awesome Video!  It's a shame that cool places like this get vandalized....