Warm start issue

Did a search and did not see any answers .....I Have a 52 B3b with original engine still 6 volt system, cold starts great but after running for awhile and warming up it is a bitch to get started, the starter has recently been overhauled so I do not think it is the problem. I have the heat shield for the fuel pump. Anyone have similar issues, I hate taking the truck to run a quick errand because I look stupid cranking away for ten minutes trying to get her started again......

5 hours ago, JaysonK said:

.... but after running for awhile and warming up it is a bitch to get started,.... Anyone have similar issues, I hate taking the truck to run a quick errand because I look stupid cranking away for ten minutes trying to get her started again......

is the heat riser flap still there or maybe it is stuck open ?

The flap was missing on my truck when I got it some years ago. Provided too much heat to the intake manifold which exactly caused the issue that you describe. The fuel is getting vaporized too much and thus too little fuel is entering the combustion chambers.

Only way to start it again was to pump /completely press the accelerator down, which over-enriched the intake. But due to that it sometimes only started with a horrible explosion, two times at the gas station ...

After installing a heat riser flap starting cold or hot is no longer an issue.

edit: see also the heat riser topic in the tech tip section -> http://p15-d24.com/page/p15d24/tech/heat_riser_adviser.html/

Edited by PT81Jan

17 hours ago, PT81Jan said:

is the heat riser flap still there or maybe it is stuck open ?

The flap was missing on my truck when I got it some years ago. Provided too much heat to the intake manifold which exactly caused the issue that you describe. The fuel is getting vaporized too much and thus too little fuel is entering the combustion chambers.

Only way to start it again was to pump /completely press the accelerator down, which over-enriched the intake. But due to that it sometimes only started with a horrible explosion, two times at the gas station ...

After installing a heat riser flap starting cold or hot is no longer an issue.

edit: see also the heat riser topic in the tech tip section -> http://p15-d24.com/page/p15d24/tech/heat_riser_adviser.html/

Heat riser is there but not hooked up, will look at what position it is in.......I have tried to push gas pedal and starter at the same time but it still takes time

13 hours ago, Don Coatney said:

Have you inspected the distributor points and what is the ignition timing set at?

Dan points look good to me but I am no expert, lol...as for the timing.......that Is something I need to check....

43 minutes ago, JaysonK said:

Heat riser is there but not hooked up, will look at what position it is in.......I have tried to push gas pedal and starter at the same time but it still takes time

Looks like I will need to repair the heat riser

1 hour ago, JaysonK said:

Looks like I will need to repair the heat riser, the spring is sprung....however it is always sitting in the closed position so that should just make it run crappy before it warms up it should not have an issue when warm......anyone know what a good operating temp is, my truck runs around 196 when warmed up..I believe it might be the fuel vaporizing issue p81jan mentioned just confused about the heat riser if it is always closed heat is going right out the exhaust and should not cause this issue?

8 hours ago, JaysonK said:

Looks like I will need to repair the heat riser, the spring is sprung....however it is always sitting in the closed position so that should just make it run crappy before it warms up it should not have an issue when warm......anyone know what a good operating temp is, my truck runs around 196 when warmed up..I believe it might be the fuel vaporizing issue p81jan mentioned just confused about the heat riser if it is always closed heat is going right out the exhaust and should not cause this issue?

I agree, if the heat riser is always in the closed position this should not cause that issue.

Before rebuilding my engine it ran at about 180 -190. After I put in new bearings 160 -170 max  also in summer at 95°F.

196 is pretty warm, so the issue might still be too much vaporization due to heat.

So the main question is, where does the excessive heat come from ?

I do not know the condition of your engine, does not have to be the worst cause.

So first I would consider the the easier things to check.

As the forums colleagues above suggested:

> be sure the heat riser is really in the closed position.

> ignition timing ! (No worry, this is no rocket science. Everything what you need is the specs, a bulb and two cables and a bit patience ?  Ah, and a crank would make it easier to turn the crankshaft)

> replacement coil available ?

> valve adjustment ?

> is your cooling system dirty / radiator o.k. ?

> common, but more effort, the condition of the water distribution tube

Edited by PT81Jan
  • Thanks 1

Mine acts the same when hot, once you go to restart it is overly rich because of fuel percolating in the carb. Simply floor it (don't pump it) hit the starter and she roars to life. And yeah, it sounds like you have an issue with your water temp. Could be the sword in the stone - WDT.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, The Oil Soup said:

Mine acts the same when hot, once you go to restart it is overly rich because of fuel percolating in the carb. Simply floor it (don't pump it) hit the starter and she roars to life. And yeah, it sounds like you have an issue with your water temp. Could be the sword in the stone - WDT.

Yup, that's what I mentioned earlier. Just give a little throttle while cranking and it'll fire right up. I have to do it often. I've got pretty good at stepping on the starter with my toe and pressing down the throttle pedal with my heal. Just enough throttle to let it get some fresh air. Only need 1/4 - 1/2. Before I mastered the dual action on the right foot I would give a little throttle and pull out the Throttle knob, then step on the starter. When it fired up I'd push the Throttle knob back in.

This is a fairly common issue with these trucks particularly in hot weather. Better fuel would probably help but it can't be bought in my area. I made a heat shield that wires in place between the manifold and the carb.......it helps quite a bit. Merle's starting technique also helps.

Jeff

• 1 month later...
On 7/16/2018 at 5:42 AM, Pete said:

Try a couple tankfuls of non-Ethanol gas. I had the same issue and this cured it for me.

Pete

Have put in non ethanol gas, have heat shield and changed the coil... will take it out for another run and see where I am at

Edited by JaysonK
Additions