47 Plymouth won't shift into 3rd gear

Jayfire

Hey Everyone, I just picked up a 47 Plymouth club coupe. Still original drivetrain. Runs good, but shifting is another story. It goes into all the other gears ok, but 2nd to 3rd is a no go! Can someone point me into the right direction on what needs replaced or adjusted to fix this problem? My other problem is with the butchered up 70 year old wiring under the dash. Took it down to the gas station to fill her up, got 1 block from my house and I got flames behind the speedo. Got that put out and drove it home. Got up today to see which wire was burnt (I think it was going to fuel gauge because now the needle does not move) and moved some wires around up in there and had more sparks! Disconnect the battery and will order a new Ron Francis 6 volt wiring harness. Last question, how fast would this stock car scoot down the road? Thanks

how heavy is your foot and are you the nervous Nellie type if a engine approaches 3600 RPM...?  Now I do admit a bit of difference in years 47 verse 54 but I run mine at 75 with nary a concern in the world except running out of gas...he screams give me more...I have done 85 but with the stock arrangement of control arm/shocks...that is one floating boat...

Not going into 3rd gear could be a few different things. Shift rod adjustment, worn shift rod bushing, worn or broken down engine/transmission mounts and possible obstruction somewhere along the linkage to the transmission.

Good call on the wiring harness, let us know how it goes.

Plymouthy Adams pretty much summed up about speed and handling.

As always show us some pictures of your project. Good luck and have fun with your project.

NIce looking car. 

For the shifting issue you might want to try cleaning all the gunk of the shift linkage on the shift column. Lube all the linkage up and see if you have access play anywhere.

I had a 49 Dodge that the linkage was gummed up and rock hard from sitting for decades. Took some work, but she would shift like butter when cleaned up.

Jayfire, Is this a Canadian car? The reason I ask is I see it says Spitfire on the head, which would be a Chrysler head, that would make it a 25" long block. The American cars were 23" long, so somebody may have switched the engine and that may be causing the shifting problems if not properly lined up. Just thinking out loud.

• Like 1

Good observation Silverdome. I notice what could possibly be an automatic choke stove (not sure)  in front of the carb (see photo). If so, did the Canadian built P15's have an automatic choke rather than a manual type?

John R

spitfire six  A.jpg

• Like 1

Probably take two people to figure this out.  One under the car, one shifting.  It sounds like the selector lever is not moving from the 1/r position to the 2/3 position.  Just watch that rod while the shift lever is moved from those two positions.  Look for looseness or binding.  Move the selector lever by hand, helping the shift lever motion.  It may just need to be adjusted slightly.  It will probably be obvious as you study the motions.

Edited by kencombs

John Reddie, I agree that does look like a choke stove. I'm not very familiar with the Canadian models and options as I have lived in the middle of America my whole life.

Scary stuff with the wiring. Good call - by the way if you switch to 12 v your new wiring is good to go. You may want to install a battery cut off connection these are cheap insurance 5$. I have one on all my old cars and make the disconnect when sitting for long periods of time. Reduces electrical problems, and the battery stays pretty fresh too.

If the linkages don’t work out, you may want to disconnect them from the trans and move the 2-3 lever to see if its internal. If so, its probably the synchro.

On 7/12/2018 at 12:49 PM, Silverdome said:

Jayfire, Is this a Canadian car? The reason I ask is I see it says Spitfire on the head, which would be a Chrysler head, that would make it a 25" long block. The American cars were 23" long, so somebody may have switched the engine and that may be causing the shifting problems if not properly lined up. Just thinking out loud.

You are correct. I just went home and measured the head and it’s 25”. It’s an LA built car, so the engine was replaced. I was told it was original when I bought it? It’s a 49 Chrysler 250. Thanks for everyone’s help in pointing that out.