P15 convertible counterbalance springs

BobT-47P15

I presume most P15 convertible owners are familiar with the pair of "folding top counterbalance springs"

found hidden in the rear fender area behind the rear seat.  I believe they are designed to offset weight of

the top frame when being either opened or closed by the vacuum top cylinders.   Or, assist the person

who raises/lowers the top manually.  The springs are right at 17 1/2" long with and outside diameter of

about 3/4".  And,, strangely enough, they have a cover made from what appears to be a piece of the

same material  from which the top is made......Haartz canvas.  My wife has a sewing lady who makes

various things for her....so I asked if she could make a couple replacement covers from some of the

Haartz material I have......and she did.  The covers are right at 13" long and 2 1/4" wide when folded in half

and stitched.  I guess the purpose of the covers is to dampen any spring vibration noise and/or deaden any

sound if the spring rubs against something.  Just another example of how they paid attention to details in days gone by.  

I wonder how many ragtops still have these springs and if there is any demand for  a reproduction of this spring.

I know a local guy who says he is acquainted with some people in another state who might be able to make such

a spring.  Just wondering.  I am thinking of having a couple new ones made as these old ones are probably

subject to breaking at any time.

DSC00068.jpg  

DSC00066.jpg

Edited by BobT-47P15

They look very similar to a typical clutch return spring. As a replacement I'd try to match one with something you'd find in an aftermarket multi-spring pack. Also a good hardware store will carry a whole section of replacement springs, could probably find something close there..

I currently am using a pair of springs found on a semi tractor to hold up air lines on the back side of the

cab.  They are not stout enough to be of much help.  The spring shown  (plus another) was acquired from a 

person who changed the operating system of his top.   At the time I bought my current truck related springs, I could not find anything else......but don't recall now where all I looked.  Any ideas for places to look are appreciated.

Edited by BobT-47P15

Bob, i had my trimmer sew up replacements for the springs on my convertible last fall when the new top went on. I suspect also this was an a simple solution to eliminate road vibration and harmonics.

This top was not meant to be hand operated, and I don’t believe the designers had hand operation in mind as the considered all the parts of the system involved. This top gold design was very ingenious. The simple physics of the fold are really ingenious. Aided by the springs, the vacuum assemblies begin the pull until they reach a fulcrum point where the spring tension is removed and the vacuum cylinders snug the top down. A little overlooked, one thing that is important to call attention to is the actuator “switch”.  Not only does the switch open one side of the vacuum circuit for action, but it also relieves pressure on the other side of the cylinder.  I am still amazed to watch that 71 year old tech do its job so well.

• Like 1

Both my p15’s have the same brake spring set up as yours greg. But the convertible top springs are coiled from a heavier wire.

Edited by Mark D