48 Plymouth Reverse

mrbobs48

Ok guys I took off the bellhousing to get the pressure off my 48.  put in a new clutch pressure plate and motor mounts. Now I have no reverse, had it before all this. Ok I have read all the post on here, but my question is, the back transmission C lever has a neutral they say. I can push it forward and backwards. Where is neutral on that C lever??  It doesn't click in neutral like the front lever.  I have tried every angle on it with arm on an off. My next step is the column adjustment. This is a pain doing it by yourself.  What am I missing. I want to go for a drive.

Edited by mrbobs48

up to 48 the transmission rods are only adjustable at the column the later 53-54 and most likely forward will be adjusted at the transmission end of the control rod.  Do you have the repair manual associated with your vehicle?  This is not an uncommon occurrence after correcting bad rear mounts etc.

• 1 year later...

The totally shot rear mounts on my '48 P15 have been replaced. I tightened the mounts down until they snugged up against the spacer and took the car for a drive. First thing I noticed was a significant amount of vibration being transmitted into the car at low speed, really not very pleasant. It was smooth at highway speed but not nearly as smooth at low speed as the old, smushed mounts. I also noticed a bit of notchiness going into second. However, it seems the previous clutch chatter has been minimized.

Back in the shop I loosened the mounts 2-3 turns and the car is now much smoother. However, it won't shift into reverse. Is this because the gear selector rod is now too "long" since the transmission is sitting higher on the new mounts than it was on the sacked out mounts? Will backing off on the selector rod nuts allow reverse to be engaged? I've studied the manual and training film, just thought someone who has already been down this path might provide confirmation or suggestions. Thanks in advance!

Edited by Sam Buchanan

28 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

yes adjust the shift levers...

how were the rear shackle bushing...these are available at all the big box parts stores....very inexpensive for the problems they fix.

Haven't really looked at those yet....on my list.

Reverse is back, just needed to tighten the gear selector rod adjustment a few turns.

Still have significant vibration at lower engine speeds but I suspect the exhaust pipe may have gotten tweaked enough in the course of jacking up the engine to replace the mounts that it is now touching the frame crossmember at certain rpm. It's a hard mechanical vibration....the engine runs smoothly and it isn't the driveshaft.

Need to take a look.....

Edited by Sam Buchanan

3 hours ago, Bbdakota said:

Sam, did you notice if replacing the motor mounts increased the resting height of the motor? 

Your vibration, the harmonic balancer in good shape? Couldn't have slipped any, could it? Just throwing darts.....

Resting height is maybe 1/2" higher at most, considering I was able to raise the engine at least 4" I don't think the engine is touching the body. I didn't replace the front mount so never got closer than a couple of feet to the balancer. I can see how firm mounts could transmit some vibration but the old engine has really been smooth thus far. I'll take a close look at the exhaust tomorrow.

Edited by Sam Buchanan

Some new replacement mounts have rubber that's way too hard. Will cause vibration.

36 minutes ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

Some new replacement mounts have rubber that's way too hard. Will cause vibration.

Might be the case.....that would be disappointing....

Mine came from Andy Bernbaum, any field history with those? 

Edited by Sam Buchanan

The rubber should be soft enough to push a thumbnail into it.

Hey Sam, 

I got my mounts from Andy B's. They were semi-soft and did a good job on my car. Might be just luck of the draw you got harder ones. They may wear/soften up after a bit of driving. I had to adjust the exhaust as well as it was closer to the frame than I liked. I also just recently changed out the shackle bushings. They made your old tranny mounts look new. But they did alleviate a lot of play at the springs. No more CLUNK when I hit a bump.

Joe Lee

• Like 1

Joe, I'll check out the bushings....did you find them at a local store (I haven't searched yet)?

The new mounts did eliminate most of the clutch chatter.....now it just vibrates......    ;)

Edited by Sam Buchanan