1952 Suburban restoration project

leadheavy52

Hello all,

Here is the 1952 Suburban I just picked up from Southern Colorado. It is virtually rust-free 9minus a few small holes in the floorboards. It has a yet-unidentified transmission and the complete original engine. ALL trip parts are in the car. This car has been sitting since 1971 when it had the trim removed to start bodywork to eliminate a few dents and scratches. Fortunately, it was removed and kept moisture from building up and creating any rust. I was told that it was a "high-clearance" package offered through the company for those buyers who needed a little extra ground clearance. Judging by where it came from, I would say that a few extra inches would have come in handy. It has 18" steel wheels and the original Plymouth hubcaps. Here is the problem. I don't know what I want to do with the car. I'd love to turn it into a mild cruiser, but have always enjoyed the look and feel of an original car. Have a look and see what you think. It won't take much to get her back on the road (engine work, brakes, fluids) but I want to do it right. I am putting a few pictures of it up to enjoy. I will be bringing it home via trailer this weekend. There is no rush to finish it, I just want it to be a cool, comfortable, classic cruiser. 

P.S. - I love the old Texaco oil drum transmission hump. 

-Austin

Screen Shot 2018-07-05 at 4.26.39 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-05 at 4.29.04 PM.png

• Like 1

Those wheels were indeed a high clearance option  but I am not certain that was still available in 51.

The transmission looks like a 4 speed truck unit.   Very interesting.

Leadheavy......welcome aboard from Oz.........I've seen pics showing what appears to be those same 18" wheels and as they have the hubcaps attached then they may well be the original ones to the car...........if its in semi offroad country then the possible 4 speed gearbox would also make sense.....you ask what to do with it..............I don't have any great love for the "patina" look.......if it had the original or an older paint job, but just faded then maybe leave it but that paint job does it no favours however if its shown that it really did come with those wheels and even soon after the installation of that 4 speed then maybe its worth trying to keep it more to the "stock" than a "cruiser"..........but the bottom line is that its your car and you have to be comfortable with it............regards, andyd   

Edited by Andydodge
  • Like 1

The wheels look similar to those on my 46 business coupe when l first looked at it.  The owner who bought it new, was a manufacturers rep to three or four tractor and implement companies.  He used the car for business visiting farms in Central Pa.  He also had some knobbie military style tires, and several under car protection pieces including 1/4 in cold rolled steel oil pan protection which is still on it today.  He said the roads he traveled weren't much and the driveways to his clients farm yards left a lot to be desired.  I have also seen pictures of them on a 30'ssomething pick up truck operated by a state or national park out in your neck of the woods.  Interesting to find a suburban with them on.  Maybe a mining company or railroad company car??

I see our original poster did not have a prob with the oil can comment...just for the record I want to tell you a story....the first car I ever performed an extensive repair on floor pans/trunk and double pressbox frames from pieces cut and formed by myself I made them from culls from a company that formed steel drums...these were flat sheet remnants that were irregular or too small to press form a steel drum  Let's flash forward some 34 years later as I was able to find that car after selling it some 28 years ago and purchase it, the metal I welded in is still pristine.  Might I add also that the metal was some of the easiest metal to form and welded so super smooth.  The stuff I buy these days that passes for steel seems not anywhere near as easy to work with.  If given another opportunity to snag some more of those remnants, I would take a truckload of them.  

Thanks for the responses. This also has a few military-type tires on it too. Interestingly enough too, the spare doesn't fit in the spare holder in the trunk and instead has its own mounting point. Here is a picture. 

I am looking forward to being able to go through it with more time. It's hard to be able to give a full look in 100 degree weather in full sun. I saw enough to know I wanted it though. I'm kind of digging the idea of restoring it as I found it. Keeping all the original equipment. I'd like to rebuild the engine and trans, with possibly hopping up this of flathead. The odometer reads 45,xxx miles, but no way to verify that it hasn't rolled, though I suspect that it hasn't based on the completeness of the car and the fact that it was parked in the late 60's and only used for work around the property. 40 acres near Mesa Verde. The couple I bought it from were friends with the person who owned it before and they drove it through high school in 1962. Very cool couple and I have fallen for this car. I'll be sure to keep everyone updated when I can get a better look at the bits and bobs. Specifically the transmission. 

And another picture from the front. The FJ40 was already gone by the time I got there to a very happy buyer, I'm sure! Also, behind the passenger door was a '66 Galaxie that looked to be pretty complete, but alas, it was gone too. 

Screen Shot 2018-07-05 at 4.33.39 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-05 at 4.32.39 PM.png

2 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

I see our original poster did not have a prob with the oil can comment...just for the record I want to tell you a story....the first car I ever performed an extensive repair on floor pans/trunk and double pressbox frames from pieces cut and formed by myself I made them from culls from a company that formed steel drums...these were flat sheet remnants that were irregular or too small to press form a steel drum  Let's flash forward some 34 years later as I was able to find that car after selling it some 28 years ago and purchase it, the metal I welded in is still pristine.  Might I add also that the metal was some of the easiest metal to form and welded so super smooth.  The stuff I buy these days that passes for steel seems not anywhere near as easy to work with.  If given another opportunity to snag some more of those remnants, I would take a truckload of them.  

Not at all, my man! Matter of fact, I plan to leave the oil drum flooring. Carpet or rubber mat right over it! It's part of the car now. 

I own a 51 Suburban....they are a unique car and one that will grow on you the longer you own it.  Being a two door places you way forward on the cool slide rule compared to even the coupes of the era.  Don't get me wrong, I like most all two door cars....but the 2 dr. wagons, about any wagon, have always placed higher on the 'to own' list

I respect Andydodge's anti patina preference but if you paint thr car, then you will be just another owner of a nice looking old car, but if you leave it, as is, you will retain the car's history and folk will gather around to hear that story. Your choice. I would not put one drop of paint on the exterior of that car! JMHO. 

No idea what happened to the car, but it was pretty beat up by end of the trip.  The right rear fender had been

ripped off along the way as well as the exhaust system.  The underside was beat up from going over big rocks

and other things.  It was probably a real  mess by the time they completed their journey.   

8 minutes ago, BobT-47P15 said:

No idea what happened to the car, but it was pretty beat up by end of the trip.  The right rear fender had been

ripped off along the way as well as the exhaust system.  The underside was beat up from going over big rocks

and other things.  It was probably a real  mess by the time they completed their journey.   

I've seen an update that someone has one of the doors hanging on a wall and the rest of the car is believed destroyed. 

Personally given the "style" of vehicle with the high clearance package I'd leave it in the as found paint job. Put the chrome back on where you want and enjoy. Modernize the brakes and other systems. People will ask about the story of the wheels and conversations will be enjoyable. Besides the dog says the extra clearance makes for "fine shade".

11 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

The type of metal that those drums were made of is called drawing quality steel. Here's a link to the definition https://www.thefabricator.com/glossary/drawing-steel. The steel in which most people use for patch panels is designed for strength across more open flat areas yet still ductile or formable enough that it doesn't crack when putting simple forms into the metal.

really cool car. probably very rare today. i love that floor shifter, and even though i need auotomatic for my arthritis, i would occasionally drive that car just for the shifter. good luck with it     captden

The surface of the Suburban in question is not rusty. It is tempered metal. Properly cleaned will give a great physical showpiece with its history in tact. JMHO