Speedometer cable lubrication

fmfarrisjr

I would like to lubricate the speedometer cable in my D-24. Before I start, are there pitfalls I should be aware of? Will the cable slide out of it's exterior shield and is this cable  easy to reinsert into the transmission end? I have a tube of graphite based oil that is intended for this application.

The graphite stuff is appropriate for the speedo cable.   Far as I know, the cable should pull out from the speedometer

connection end pretty easily unless it is somehow damaged or badly worn and frayed.    There is a square piece

on each end of the cable to fit into the transmission and speedo head.  When reinserting into the trans, you should

be able to rotate the cable gently and probably tell when it returns to its seatedf position.  

I have not lubed my speedo cable, but it looks like it would be a straightforward process.  When I bought my car the speedometer needle jumped plus or minus 20 mph.  A few drops of oil in the speedometer head cured it.  There is an oil tube behind the center of the speedometer.  A “ Zoomspout” Oiler makes it easy to get oil into it.

Thanks all for your comments. I assumed it would pull out of the speedometer end. I was concerned about getting it back into the transmission. As long as there is a square end - the same as the speedometer end - it should be an easy job.