1953 pilothouse guage conversions

bergy

Hello to everyone 

I’m in the process of changing my 53 pilot house to 12 V negative ground .I want to use my original gauges. So I’m asking what I have to do besides the volt reduction resister and the lights in the gauges to make them work how do I hook up the negative grounds to the gauges because they were positive ground before .thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure but you may have some problems with a stock 6V Pos ground radio, running 12V Neg ground. You can step down the voltage but the polarity for the radio will be the real problem.

Edited by johnsartain

Maybe in your area...hard to even buy 6v bulbs here anymore and if you do, they want you to take the whole box if they order.

12 volt - ground is the way to go, it’s a one time switch and much easier to get replacement parts, and do upgrades later if you wish.  Also a good excuse to re-wire what’s very likely crumbling original wiring

Although it is true that buying local is becoming difficult while doing restorations, the internet has become a boon for specialty businesses with hard to find parts...for example, eBay sent me an email about their updated My Garage feature, so I set it up with all of my Dodges...the first suggestion made?  Replacement wiper blade refills...I had not seen those in yeeears, the prices are reasonable, and there is no minimum buy order.  Replacement 6V bulbs? A plethora of vendors has them available without a minimum buy order and will ship to your doorstep...

I try to buy local, but when this specialty stuff is only available online, I would rather have the stuff delivered to my door than run around the countryside trying to find something that doesn't exist anymore... life's too short to make it more complicated than it needs to be :cool:

my dash bulbs were missing so I had to find some replacements, whent to a mom and pop store in the next town over and yep he had them but I had to buy the box of 20.... no issue with me now I have spares.......got Home plugged them in and none of them would work, so I did some research and bought a different brand on eBay, and yes I bought the box...still nothing, then I realized they have to indtalled in the gauges for the ground to work.....moral of the story......I have lots of 6volt bulbs if you just cant find them anywhere else.....oh and I need to learn more!