Advice needed on Carter Ball and Ball dual carb setup

FourCornersGreg

2 hours ago, FourCornersGreg said:

Casper 50 where did you get that carb guage?

Amazon has one for fifteen bucks. This is a must have tool for correct carburetor syncing. 

Other Sellers on Amazon
Add to Cart
$14.89 
+ Free Shipping
Sold by: Dune Buggy Warehouse
Add to Cart
$15.00 
+ Free Shipping
Sold by: MOORE PARTS SOURCE
Add to Cart
$16.08 
+ $2.00 shipping
Sold by: AutoPartsKart
New (9) from $14.89 & FREE shipping.
Have one to sell?Sell on Amazon

• 41A1hil0crL._SS40_.jpg
  • 31ks4HlUsDL._SS40_.jpg

Roll over image to zoom in

EMPI 5746 Universal SU / Bubble Type Carburetor Synchronizer - VW Dune Buggy Bug Ghia Thing Bus Trike Baja Down Draft / Side Draft

Price: $15.99 Free Shipping for Prime Members

Note: Available at a lower price from other sellers, potentially without free Prime shipping.

In stock on June 30, 2018. 
Order it now.

Sold by Euro Partstar and Fulfilled by Amazon. Gift-wrap available.

• Provides A Visual Method Of Balancing Multiple Carburetor Setups With A High Degree Of Accuracy
  • Ideal For Down Draft & Side Draft Applications
  • For Volkswagen And VW based Dune Buggies
  • Proper Synchronization For Peak Performance

New (9) from $14.89 & FREE shipping.

HI Bob,

A question on your disc brake conversion as mentioned above. I have a '39 sedan. The brake system is as original, and is okay but only okay. I'd like to convert to front discs and a dual master cylinder. I'm running the 16" stock wheels. Most setups apparently have an interference problem with the original wheels.

Are you running the original 16' wheels, and if so, what disc kit and dual MC did you install? What mods did you need to do to fit the MC?

Pete

2 hours ago, Pete said:

HI Bob,

A question on your disc brake conversion as mentioned above. I have a '39 sedan. The brake system is as original, and is okay but only okay. I'd like to convert to front discs and a dual master cylinder. I'm running the 16" stock wheels. Most setups apparently have an interference problem with the original wheels.

Are you running the original 16' wheels, and if so, what disc kit and dual MC did you install? What mods did you need to do to fit the MC?

Pete

Pete,

Yes I am running stock 16" wheels. I am using ECI's conversion kit. http://www.ecihotrodbrakes.com

I did have to grind a bit off the caliper to make it fit, but it works great.

Hi Bob,

Thanks for getting back to me. Are you also using the ECI dual MC? Any other parts you used for the conversion?

Pete

21 hours ago, Pete said:

Hi Bob,

Thanks for getting back to me. Are you also using the ECI dual MC? Any other parts you used for the conversion?

Pete

Yes, I used EC-757CK conversion kit for '37-'56 Dodge and Plymouth cars, and the EC-441Dual Master cylinder and adapters for '37-'41 Dodge and Plymouth. I also purchased the residual valves and Front disk hold-off metering valve. Not sure if they still use the catalog numbers but you should be able to find them on the website.

Feel free to contact me if you need any help along the way.  I've put about 7,000 miles on my setup over the last year and the only issue I've had was losing two of the screws holding down the top of one of my carbs.  The head was decked .060" and the intake is water-heated, both of which I would highly recommend.  I did Fenton split headers because my stock manifold was cracked, but they sound great with the Smithy glasspacks I put behind them.  Good luck!

20171002_183846.jpg

mrahc,

Thanks for the reply. That's a nice looking set up. Liking the Edmunds intake. The wife and I and a few buddies are heading to Bonneville for the big rally in August. About an 8 hour drive up from Durango where I live. Looking forward to meeting the Montana Dodge Boys (my buddy says they are there every year) and looking at some their rigs and picking their brains. I will be trailoring the 51 Cranbrook Belvedere home in two weekends from now.

Greg

Edited by FourCornersGreg

• 1 year later...
On 6/23/2018 at 11:34 AM, casper50 said:

Here's mine.   

Late to this forum I guess but what tool did you use to tune the carbs a d how are they set up? I got a set of carter ball and balls on an offenhauser manifold. Getting a lot of issues with the tune.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-Bug-Beetle-Carburetor-Synchronizer-Carb-Sync-Tool-AC000130-Dual-Carbs-/172327264552  I had lots of issues getting them to sync as well.  But, I was a total newb dealing with more than one carb.  To be honest if I had known how much trouble it was going to be I'd had stuck with a single.

Plenty of videos out there on how to synchronize carbs.  I haven't done that since the 80's so my memory is pretty rusty on that.  But I used to sync the dual carbs on my bike using the rpm drop method.  If I was going to buy a carb sync tool today it would be this one, makes the job a lot easier and accurate.

https://carbtune.myshopify.com/products/carbtune-pro-2-col