Movie Plymouth

John Reddie

I watched a movie last night on the Turner Classic Movie channel On Demand titled "The Young Stranger" made in '57. In it, the young man who is the main character has a P15 club coupe which appears in several scenes.. The car looks a little used and could use some TLC but doesn't put out any smoke. I always liked that body style model P15.

John R

• Like 1

The Day The Earth Stood Still:  Mr Carpenter , the man from space, rides in a 50 Plymouth taxi which morphs into a 49 Dodge.   Kind of like Bogart's 38 Plymouth which is occasionally a 37.

Miss Daisey's Cadillac morphs from a 55 to a 56 and back. 

The 55 has the exhaust outlet at the bottom of the bumper end.  The 56 has the fender protruding as fitting over the exhaust pipe, and the outlet is oval, at the top of the bumper end. 

51 minutes ago, vintage6t said:

On The Town was also on TMC last night. They cruise all over NYC in a Desoto Skyview cab.

Skyviews are really cool. 

49 minutes ago, DonaldSmith said:

Miss Daisey's Cadillac morphs from a 55 to a 56 and back. 

The 55 has the exhaust outlet at the bottom of the bumper end.  The 56 has the fender protruding as fitting over the exhaust pipe, and the outlet is oval, at the top of the bumper end. 

Her car that she drove off into the bushes is a Chrysler Windsor.

We had our D24 in a remake of "Lolita" when they were filming in west Texas (shameless plug, it wound up on the cutting room floor) in 95.  But we got to see a lot of what "the movies" do with old cars.  One of the protagonists of this story drove a silver and black Buick sedan (don't remember the exact year and model, late 40s, early 50s or so), and the production company used at least three different cars, because they were at multiple shooting locales.  All three cars were depicted in scenes that were all the same place in the movie, though filmed at different places.  So the production company had to find/create the same car in Louisiana, west Texas, and California.  They used one car in LA, but that owner wouldn't let them haul the car anywhere, then they rented another in west Texas that was not the right color.  They paid to have it painted like the "original" car (with the owner's permission, of course.  They also replaced the entire brake system on their dime) for the shoots in TX.  They couldn't find the same car in the next filming location, so they hauled the TX car there, and used an entirely different car in the CA filming.  They filmed in NC and GA, too, but I didn't get the story on those cars.  Joe Citizen wouldn't know the difference, but as you'uns demonstrate in this thread, car guys do.   

3 hours ago, vintage6t said:

On The Town was also on TMC last night. They cruise all over NYC in a Desoto Skyview cab.

Are there any of the originals left anywhere? I've never seen one except for in a old movie filmed in NYC.

22 minutes ago, RNR1957NYer said:

In "The Blob" Steve McQueen drives a '53 Plymouth convert.teenage-kids-being-kids-1.png.9edd8c52667e5bffb087745d5cc082fc.png

ANYTHING ever driven by Steve McQueen was automatically made cool by association.

As many of you know,  my favorite cars are the '51-'52 Plymouths, and they appeared in many movies over the years, some in 'starring' roles.  Here are a few notable ones:

99 River Street:  Main character is a cab driver; guess what kind of cab he drives.  Also have 'garage' scenes with several P23 cabs in the background.

The Hitch Hiker:  Two guys and their '52 Cranbrook get hijacked by a murderer.

Split Second: (spoiler alert)  '52 business coupe gets destroyed in a nuclear explosion.  Looks to me like they used a model Plymouth in some scenes.

Come Back Little Sheba:   Ray Milland gets driven around in a '51 Cranbrook sedan

Jailhouse Rock:  Elvis's paymaster drives a '51 business coupe.

And who can forget....The Godfather and the famous windshield kick-out scene

If anyone can add to the list I'd appreciate it!

4 hours ago, JerseyHarold said:

As many of you know,  my favorite cars are the '51-'52 Plymouths, and they appeared in many movies over the years, some in 'starring' roles.  Here are a few notable ones:

99 River Street:  Main character is a cab driver; guess what kind of cab he drives.  Also have 'garage' scenes with several P23 cabs in the background.

Split Second: (spoiler alert)  '52 business coupe gets destroyed in a nuclear explosion.  Looks to me like they used a model Plymouth in some scenes.

Come Back Little Sheba:   Ray Milland gets driven around in a '51 Cranbrook sedan

"War of the Worlds" made in 1953 features two of these Plymouth's,  a 1951 police car which unfortunately gets vaporized by the aliens and either a '51 or '52 convertible. These cars only appear in the beginning. Like you, I have always found them most appealing.

John R 

• Like 1

An episode of M*A*S*H*  featured a 51 Plymouth which was later traded off for a cow.

A number of Chrysler's products appeared in It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World ....a 62 Ply. wagon, an Imperial convertible,  a red convertible Dodge, a Chrysler 300

and  police  cruisers both Plymouth and Dodge  all 62s  I think, the 59 Plymouth taxis and the nose of a 53 Plymouth appears entering the coast highway. Not to forget the Power Wagon tow truck and  then there was Algernon Hawthorne's  Willys 4wd, (not a  Chrysler product but now a relative)  also a cameo with Jack Benny and what might have been a Maxwell.

The Beverly Hillbillies featured Chrysler's cars  although the old truck was an Oldsmobile  and didn't Ward Cleaver drive a Plymouth ?

The opening scenes of Back to the  Future show a 53 Plymouth in a gas station.   We get a ride in a 47 Desoto in The Bishop's Wife  and  in Happy Days there was Mr Cunningham's 48 Desoto Traveller which was featured with its nose through the wall of Arnold's restaurant.

It is nice to see movies where the cars are presented as they were.  Darn few Model A-s came with white wall tires.

in The Long Long Trailer there is a 53 Suburban wagon in the rainy scene at the trailer park  but has anyone else noticed that while in most scenes the yellow convertible is a Mercury but on the mountain grades it is a Lincoln ?

5 hours ago, JerseyHarold said:

Seems like their is a 52 Plymouth in the Twilite Zone  episode Monsters are due on Maple Street.