spark plugs

I've heard of/seen "corona stain" on spark plug insulators before - but that is usually brown or yellow and only a ring around the bottom of the insulator - sometimes you can see a glow around the insulator in complete darkness with the engine running - that is corona. I wonder if this is a similar result, but with a different color/effect from a newer insulator material... If it is, it doesn't mean much if anything.

Interesting for sure. I'm in to find out if someone has a better idea to what this is. Always up for new information.

is there a metal cooper gasket under the plug and seating on the head? If the cooper gasket is missing or possible cracked this might cause the issue. Just a thought.

Rich HArtung

desoto1939@aol.com

No soot in the cup area and the copper gaskets are there .  The engine runs fine at my low elevation  of 14 feet but when I am up in the mountains at 6,000-7,000 feet pulling up hill it doesn't run too well . That is why I am changing the plugs . In the past the engine ran better in the mountains .  

• 2 years later...

Well I  changed the plugs quite a long time ago now and the new NGK s have a little soot but not bad like the old ones . I found that my vacuum advance diaphragm was torn and my coil was bad . All is good now . That pesky coil only acted up after it warmed up and only under heavy load . 

• Thanks 1

Man checking prices on your favorite plug online are all over from $2 to $4.

Ebay price seems to be lowest $15 for 6 shipped, from Maine, 5 day to Calif. from Maine-Not bad.

$2 from NGK direct online but-shipping?

Also works in some lawnmowers- - -?

DJ