What paint to use on wheel rims?

insaneradio

I am needing to repaint my wheel rims.  I am lookiing for opinions on what type of paint to use.  Obviously over the counter spray paint is the easiest and cheapest option.  However, is there a better option?  I would like something fairly tough being the removal of hubcaps and wheel rings in fairly aggressive.  

Thank you!

I just use Rustoleum rattle can paint.  It's durable enough for my needs, relatively inexpensive, and I can always find the color for when I need to touch up the rims, or repaint them.  Powder coating is probably the most durable.  I wouldn't know the price range, last time I looked into it was years ago, and it was rather expensive then.      

• Like 1

I used Nason Urethane single stage on my wheels. Powder coating is more durable but it wasn't an option for me. If you prep the wheels well and apply the paint correctly the finish is both extremely durable and glossy.  Sorry, yup they are red :)  but only because I am painting my truck like my Dads was and the wheels on Dads '49 truck were red. 

John 

IMG_20180425_094356178.jpg

Edited by John Rogers
  • Like 1

Mr Insane,

I had a full set of 5 rims powder coated gloss black for $180.   Nothing more durable, really.  NOTHING easier either.   Dropped ‘em off, they blasted them, coated them and rang me back when they were ready. 

3381617B-4EF9-42A3-90FB-213D2EDA169C.jpeg

8639EAE2-4971-4C0B-B5CF-8DB23D58C8CC.jpeg

• Like 3

Luckily I am a bodyman by trade so I worked a swap with a friend who has a car dealership and bodyshop. I helped him out of a huge bind by doing a little bodywork for him. In exchange I got to mix up a quart of red urethane single stage and I got the activator and reducer too. Anyone who buys automotive paint knows that anything that is red or has a lot of red in it is extremely expensive. If I would have had to buy the paint and everything outright it might have been far cheaper to powder coat the 5 wheels. As it worked out it only cost me 2 hours of my labor if that. I live in a small town so I have a lot of chances to barter for stuff . Win /Win for me :) 

John

Edited by John Rogers
  • Like 1

Not convinced powder coat is a good choice.  There doesn't seem to be a mechanical or chemical bond between the item and the coating.  When the coating looses its integrity through a stone chip scratch etc.  Moisture can get between the coating and the metal then over time whole sections of coating become loosened and pop up.  There is now way to address this but media blast and recoat.

10 hours ago, thebeebe5 said:

I had a full set of 5 rims powder coated gloss black for $180.   Nothing more durable, really.  NOTHING easier either.   Dropped ‘em off, they blasted them, coated them and rang me back when they were ready. 

That was a bargain. There's only one place anywhere near here that does powdercoating. They charged me $62.50 each. If I had it to do over I'd rattle-can them.

Greg G. Powder coat 'paint' is actually a plastic coating and is is much more tolerant to flexing than paint. It must be applied to a clean, dry surface and under controlled conditions. Sandblasting wheels is a good prep as it creates the needed texture for the paint to adhere. Done properly, which means that the part is properly grounded and the person applying the paint knows what they are doing, is critical. Unlike a liquid paint, you cannot put on multiple coats with drying between coats as the powder paint attracted to the part by via an electric charge . The second part that must be done correctly is the heat curing of the paint. Again, you only get one chance to get it right. A good powder coating shop will know how to do it right. I am considering having my wheels powder coated over the winter.

I went to the local west coast big box tire shop (Les Schwab) in January, they charged me $50. per rim (locking rims) to power coat.

rim.JPG.1ce0d4e8c7f8aca6ea29783c590bb2cc.JPG

they offered a few different colors

pc_colors.JPG.95be6441fa1fccd0766008d6673924ba.JPG

• Thanks 2

Nice pinstriping, did you do it by hand?  I purchased a tool from Eastwood with small wheels for pinstriping, however don't believe my hands are steady enough to go completely around a wheel and the magnetic strips Eastwood sells wont make the radius.  Trying to come up with a way that I can spin the wheel and hold the tool in one spot.

Richard

I had 5 rims sandblasted and primed by a local outfit, then used rattlecan Rust-Oleum semi-gloss black back in '99, I think the total price was less than $150.  These rims have been outside in the TX heat and humidity all these years, and still clean up nice.  They aren't show quality, but for the price and durability, it's an effective and economical approach :cool:

• Thanks 1

If you're on the West Coast the Les Schwab tire company (as stated above) will blast and powder coat. They quoted me $30 a wheel last year.  Not every color but a good selection.