Vapor lock?? Problem found!

insaneradio

God evening,

My P-15 quit while driving.  Thankfully it was when I was pulling in my driveway!!  Engine would crank just fine.  It would fire if I poured fuel down the carb, yet would quit as soon as my "prime" had gone.  I disconnected the fuel line into carburetor and had the wife crank----nothing came out of fuel line.  I had thought ---bad fuel pump[.  I checked and I had one in my "stash".  I chose to let it cool down and replace after dinner.  After dinner it started just fine.  The car has sat for probably 1.5 hours.

The outside temp has been 95 degrees the past few weeks.  I have driven the car three times a week to work etc without any difficulty.  This same thing happened two years ago.  Only that time it quit going down the road.  I do NOT have a heat shield on the pump.  I had never needed on previously.  My fuel line to carb is at least 3" from exhaust manifold.

Could a fuel pump be ---flaky?  Or in your opinion does it seem as though vapor lock is the culprit?  I just remebered on last fill up I used 92 octane instead of my regular 86.  Could that be a factor?

Thank you gents!

Edited by insaneradio

Could also be rust or other sediment in your gas tank clogging the pickup when under suction and then releasing back into the tank once parked. Thus unclogging itself until started and running again for a while.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, vintage6t said:

Could also be rust or other sediment in your gas tank clogging the pickup when under suction and then releasing back into the tank once parked. Thus unclogging itself until started and running again for a while.

Interesting thought.  I will look into that.  Thx

I had a similar problem with an old Plymouth many, many years ago when I was a snot-nosed kid in hi-school. I’d pour water on the fuel pump when it vapor-locked in the driveway while in the driveway (I called that car the “vapor-lock king”), and then it’d fire right up. Eventually I moved the fuel line from the tank, and the one from the fuel pump to the carburetor, further from the engine, and took some old rubber hose, split it, put it around the now-rerouted fuel lines, and held it in place with bailing wire. Pretty—it wasn’t!!! Effective—it was!!!

• Like 1

On 6/6/2018 at 9:25 PM, vintage6t said:

I believe you may have been correct  !  I dropped the tank this evening and found dirt in tank.  The inside of tank is shiny and appears rust free.  When I drained the last of the gas the dirt appeared to come with it.  I will flush tank tomorrow and reinstall.

Thank you again!  I will keep you posted!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, insaneradio said:

Vintage6T was correct!  I dropped the tank this evening and found dirt in tank.  I will flush and reinstall tomorrow.  Thought I would pass on the info!

Thanks for the update, I hope that does solve it. BTW - if it is a dirt issue, you may find you have to clean the bowl of your carburetor as well.

Edited by vintage6t
  • Like 2