A poison Dart infected me from my truck?

TrampSteer

I figure I must have gotten bit by something because I am seriously considering flipping this rat-infested (and I mean it stinks something really awful) for a couple of bucks.

1964 Dodge Dart 270 trim https://photos.app.goo.gl/gkj90p5a1czQ1TC93

Vin traces this to an L.A. built taxi cab with 270 trim. Starts and runs with no problem. Brakes are shot. There is so much animal excrement that I think seats, carpet and headliner would have to be replaced just to get the smell out. Then there  are a couple of areas with surface rust (that goes through to the other surface!) and I haven't opened the trunk yet. Too scared, no key, trunk lid has ... issues. I can get it for under a grand, but have to invest in a hazmat suit.

Your learned opinions are always welcome.

Trampsteer

IMG_20180604_143044816_HDR.jpg

being a four door, I would not think there would be a great lot of flipping potential based on initial purchase price and the need to clean it and do not forget the dangers of working around rat feces, the hazmat issues and a need for a serious air respirator (not a piece of paper on your face) ..looks as though someone has helped themselves to the ever popular front parts, headlight doors.  Looks to be a good candidate for someone wanting to convert it to a two door.....lots of that being done these days in A and B body land....

• Like 1

They should pay you to take it away. I'll bet the trunk is full of fun stuff like the rest of the car. It's almost impossible to get that kind of smell out of a vehicle unless it is totally stripped including dash, engine compartment, behind door panels, etc. My opinion, leave well enough alone.

• Like 1

Former taxi??  RUN AWAY...

Brakes will need complete overhaul...front suspension might track as true as Otis Campbell on a Saturday night...leaks and rot around glass will take a lot of elbow grease to fix...and the smell?  Ya may have to dip the whole thing in diesel and tap it with a road flare to get that stench to go away...

This thing is a basket case that will take a labor of love to make it presentable, and that is always a net loss proposition ?

• Like 3

I have a soft spot these my brother had one , may have been his 2nd car.  It was pretty rough back in about 1980 , had some fun in that old car.    He gave $200 bucks for it, drove it for 2yrs.  I bet he didn't spend $20 bucks on it during that time, just drove it.  Sold it for what he gave for it.

Well that sure sounds like a consensus. Thanks ya'll. Probably not a labor of love, more like a labor of glove!

Plymouthy: yeah, headlights. Likely expensive.

Kencombs: looked, not a chance.

RobertKB: Yeah, figured about 1000 for all new interior with a metal given a spray acid wash just prior. With resell prices all over the map I'd have to go with the lowish ones at $4k so that's 25% before purchase and brakes. Then, there is sheet metal. Wiring?

JBNeal: yeah, brakes are already shot. might be worth it to tap it with a road flare though ?

Frank/Plymouthy: Engine purrs like a kitten. The one thing that wouldn't need changing.

Flatie: My dad had one on the farm too when we were real young. (Imaging five boys that just wanted to push the buttons on the transmission).

Brent: Oops. Concerned indeed. Perhaps blinders so he can't see it.

P.S.

The shop owner where this is won't even move it around the lot any more. Says his uniform already stinks from driving it twice in the lot to park it.

Edited by TrampSteer
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Mike Petersen said:

Yeah, GTs and convertibles are the desired cars. A fully running (but not super restored) sedan like the one I posted here is topped out at $3500-$4000 asking price. Sad really.