Optima 6v battery

Young Ed

Anyone got a good source for one of these? Last spring when I bought one I paid 125. Now the going rate seems to be 185. Have things really gone up that much??

36 minutes ago, matt167 said:

As lead gets restricted, battery prices goes up. Batteries go up $5 or so every 6 months it seems.

Yet the goobermint keeps pushing electric card down our throats.

Ed,

I checked some of the online outfits where I purchase motorcycle batteries from but no luck. I got my last Optima on the bay for $114 about 18 months ago. I did see the same prices as you were finding but noticed advanced auto was offering 20% off which would get you down $37 bucks. Amazing how much they went up but they do pack the power.  

Good Luck

So far this is the best I've found. http://www.batteriesareus.com/zen150/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=32

oddly they are 188 direct from optima and most places seem to be asking that or close to it. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Veemoney said:

Ed,

I checked some of the online outfits where I purchase motorcycle batteries from but no luck. I got my last Optima on the bay for $114 about 18 months ago. I did see the same prices as you were finding but noticed advanced auto was offering 20% off which would get you down $37 bucks. Amazing how much they went up but they do pack the power.  

Good Luck

Just tried them-optima is one of the exclusions on that coupon!

• Sad 1

I am not sure if they still do it, but at the Syracuse Nationals car show a couple of years ago they were offering a 5% discount on a few specific batteries, that included 6 volt batteries, if you purchased it at the show.  The deal was for cash and (ugh) carry only.

1 hour ago, 48ply1stcar said:

I've been using a Fleet Farm battery for years $59.  It sits all winter in the car.

https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/farm-rated-tractor-truck-6v-battery-24-mo-640-cca/0000000235146

thats what I've been using. Honestly had good service out of them. Will likely get another since I can't justify double the price for the optima

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 48ply1stcar said:

I've been using a Fleet Farm battery for years $59.  It sits all winter in the car.

https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/farm-rated-tractor-truck-6v-battery-24-mo-640-cca/0000000235146

I buy my 6 volt batteries from whoever local has them on sale when I need a battery. Here is the invoice for the most recent one I bought.

Advance Auto 16 Jan 2018

$76.99   6 volt commercial battery 1 year free replacement
-23.00   discount (points)
______
$53.99
 +6.47 tax
______
$59.46

The discount pops up on the Advance Auto web page when you visit it. Generally speaking,it is for any item you purchase online for either home delivery or store pickup. The discounts are always a percentage of the retail cost.

and now I went to the local fleet farm to buy a battery giving up on the cheap(er) optima I got last year. They were sold OUT of 6v batteries!!!!!!!! 

I have to admit. I have a Napa 24 month in my car that is probably 1yr old. I left the parking lights on for an unknown amount of time after I hit the switch while popping the hood at some point.. I expected a dead battery but it cranked over like nothing happened

46 minutes ago, Young Ed said:

and now I went to the local fleet farm to buy a battery giving up on the cheap(er) optima I got last year. They were sold OUT of 6v batteries!!!!!!!! 

Well,it IS spring,and everybody is working their farm equipment.

I run the Optima Red 6 volt on my 54 Savoy and that battery is about 8 years olds and doing well.  I do not drive the car often, it truly benefits from the Optima.  I wish also to keep it 6 volts as it still has the factory bulls eye headlights with the correct production dates.....as the car has less than 48K miles I am assuming these are the very ones that came in the car.  That is where my love for the 6 volt system ends.....lol  No one in my area carries a decent 6 volt lead acid battery with any warranty worth wiping your nose with

9 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

I run the Optima Red 6 volt on my 54 Savoy and that battery is about 8 years olds and doing well.  I do not drive the car often, it truly benefits from the Optima.  I wish also to keep it 6 volts as it still has the factory bulls eye headlights with the correct production dates.....as the car has less than 48K miles I am assuming these are the very ones that came in the car.  That is where my love for the 6 volt system ends.....lol  No one in my area carries a decent 6 volt lead acid battery with any warranty worth wiping your nose with

Your NAPA store does. They sell farm tractor and appliance batteries.

23 minutes ago, matt167 said:

I have to admit. I have a Napa 24 month in my car that is probably 1yr old. I left the parking lights on for an unknown amount of time after I hit the switch while popping the hood at some point.. I expected a dead battery but it cranked over like nothing happened

I called my local Napa last Friday for a battery the cheapest 6v they had was a "group 4" for $128. And only a 30mo warranty....

seemed spendy to me.... 

Edited by Brent B3B

I was looking into getting one of those batteries too but of the price I haven't pulled the hammer just yet. If and when I do I would like to find the battery holder that would make it look like it has a full size battery in the car. Any one know of one anywhere that will fit the 6 volt Optima and look like the original battery holder?

1 hour ago, Labrauer said:

I was looking into getting one of those batteries too but of the price I haven't pulled the hammer just yet. If and when I do I would like to find the battery holder that would make it look like it has a full size battery in the car. Any one know of one anywhere that will fit the 6 volt Optima and look like the original battery holder?

I don't know about the holder,but I did see a "Optima disguise" for sale that someone was making that  the Optima fit into,and then fit into the battery box like the original battery and looked like the original battery

You could probably find it by using "Optima Cover" as the key words..

I do remember it was a little pricey for my tastes,though.

Edited by knuckleharley

19 hours ago, Brent B3B said:

I called my local Napa last Friday for a battery the cheapest 6v they had was a "group 4" for $128. And only a 30mo warranty....

seemed spendy to me.... 

Yeah, I didn't buy it. Came in the car. 

Posts on the need for a strong battery  always interest me because these engines were designed to start with ONE pull of a HAND CRANK.   So then, any battery that will turn the engine one revolution will start that engine if it is tuned properly.

If drivers in the 40's and early 50's stalled out when on the road with a bad battery, the hand crank got them started and on the way. To prove this, I'm going to put a crank gear on my Suburban drive shaft, buy a crank, and when I show my Suburban to a surfer, I will start the engine with the crank to prove to him that a bad battery will not leave him stranded on some remote beach.