48 Dodge - cracked up! Help

ebruns1

Hey Fellas,

You may have seen my initial thread where I mentioned I had some stripped out rear lug studs on the Dodge.  Some were even confused by the fact that the Dodge's even HAD lug studs and not lug BOLTS like the Plyms, Desotos and Chryslers!  The consensus was that the stripped lug studs can be pressed out and new ones pressed in.  Well, it seems like it is harder than it looks!  I took my drums to the auto and truck service garage where our Ford V-8 club meets and gave them to the 84 year old owner.  He even assured me it would be no problem...until he cracked the drum!  I don't know if he didn't support the stud with an old socket or if he just pressed them with the drum laying flat supported by the edge of the drum (what I suspect).  Anyway, he cracked one of my drums and now it's useless.  He's trying to find a replacement for me and he says he needs to know my model.  I told him D-24, but he's confused I guess and doesn't know mopars...

Here's the question - Are the 46-48 Dodge rear drums the same as any other years?  What about the 49-55's or whatever series followed?  And what about the rest of the MOPARS, did the Plyms, Desotos and Chryslers make the switch over to the lug studs after '49 or were they still using bolts?  And were they the same size so I could use one of them if I can find one?  If it makes any difference they were the 11" x 2" rear drums.

Thanks for any help guys!

PS - what about a more modern complete rear drum and backing plate swap out?  Not looking to spend $500 on a disc brake swap, but any cheaper bolt on options that fit the rear spindle without major modifications as another option???  Any late 60's models that would bolt on with self-adjusting bendix style brakes?  I'm swapping the fronts over to discs (IF my Scarebird kit ever ships!) so maybe I should swap out the rears.  Unfortunately I just bought new rear brake shoes from VAPco for $89 and new replacement rear brake cylinders for another $65!

1946-1954 Dodge should be a fit.

AMS Obsolete (eBay formerly Mitchell Motor Parts) claims to have it in stock. Part # 1139099 (right hand thread studs) I have an over turned (out of specs)front on the shelf in the garage, but that is no help:(

Oldmoparts claims to have many brake drums available. A phone call is required to check on that.