Air Wrenches

pflaming

I'm need to get a set  of air wrenches, but to begin, only the basic ones. The impact wrench probably the first one. Which are used the most and what medium grade, practical brand should I consider? 

TKS

Paul 

I'm a fan of IR's composite/Titanium models.  A little expensive, but light and powerful.  The little 3/8" is so strong, I almost never have to grab the 1/2"  .  I also highly recommend a good set of swivel sockets for the 3/8".  Much better than the typical u'joint versions. 

The air ratchet is very seldom used, but my DeWalt 20v impact driver gets a lot of use with scewdriver bits and a 1/4" socket adapter

Paul if you have acquired an air compressor with at least 20 gal. tank and 120 psi. Harbor Freight sells a 1/2" drive impact wrench with 500+ torque for about $80 which may fit your frugal side.

Other 3/8" and even 1/4" drive ratchets, butterfly style air tools are at about$15-20 and have proved fine for most uses in the home shop. While probably not the good alternative for long term usage in full time use.  ?

Doesn't ever town have a Harbor Freight now?

DJ

When I here Harbor Freight it feels like someone just put there finger nails on the chaulk board. It even hurts to spell it. The only thing a HF has of quality is there front door. Because it is used very often when guys bring the tools back again and again when they break. 

• Like 2

My retired neighbor had a HF impact wrench, eventually his shoulders were giving him enough fits that he asked me to use it one day to break loose his mower blades...I was shocked at how heavy that thing was, and it would not break those big bolts loose...I ran up to the barn and retrieved Dad's 2yr old Craftsman, he could hold it with one hand and broke those bolts off himself...so he got a similar one on sale for like $30, and was pleased as punch to be able to keep working on his stuff...if only shopping online, definitely compare weight as well as air flow requirements :cool:

• Like 2

19 hours ago, JBNeal said:

My retired neighbor had a HF impact wrench, eventually his shoulders were giving him enough fits that he asked me to use it one day to break loose his mower blades...I was shocked at how heavy that thing was, and it would not break those big bolts loose...I ran up to the barn and retrieved Dad's 2yr old Craftsman, he could hold it with one hand and broke those bolts off himself...so he got a similar one on sale for like $30, and was pleased as punch to be able to keep working on his stuff...if only shopping online, definitely compare weight as well as air flow requirements :cool:

That word is why I didn't recommend that gun, and why I love the composite/titanium IR models.  for one or two bolts they are ok, but holding one overhead, or arm's length, for several is not what my 75YO arms want to do.  I have had a lot of older models and the new ones really are better.  Shop ebay for used ones to control the budget aspect.

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 2:35 PM, lonejacklarry said:

I like my Ingersoll Rand 231C 1/2" drive impact wrench.  I'm not sure about using it for commercial use but it will last me my lifetime, I think.  Amazon has them now for $114.

I've used  this same gun in an industrial environment for 12yrs. The gun was rarely oiled, maybe 20times to date. It still works great and seems as strong as new.  Its a 1/2" drive gun. Used 3/4 drive sockets on it often  with adapter.  I have dropped it, abused it and asked a lot from it. It's light and ergonomic.  When I left my old job I brought it home and it seems to do more with less air than my old craftsman.  My old craftsman is a good gun and one like it can be found cheap but the IR 231C composite has my vote for the best gun ive used.

• Like 2

I have a Chicago Pneumatic (from Sears) Impact and socket wrench. Bought them 25+ years ago, still working. I'm a Milwaukee tool fan and I have one of their NiCad 18 volt impact guns and it has been a disappointment, just doesn't have enough torque. If I was getting a new one the IR 231 mentioned earlier looks pretty good. 

• Like 1

Been turning wrench’s since my teen years. Will be retiring in 2 years. Started with CP. and I still have a few around. Gave a few to a new hire 3 years ago and he is still useing them . I’ve owned   Air tools from Matco, Mac, Cornwell, and Snap-On. I’ve moved away from dragging air lines all over the place. I’m useing Snap- On cordless tools. I rebuild Onan Generators on a daily basis. It makes my life a lot easier.

• Like 2

I have Ingersoll Rand and Matco 1/2" impacts and have owned them for 20+ years with no issues. Well built and good value for the money. I have 3/8 and 1/2" air ratchets that are IR and Speedair and both work well also. I guess the only air tools I an not all that happy with are the Kobalts I purchased at Lowes. My die grinder is slowly dying and its the newest of all of my air tools. Will never purchase another Kobalt.

When I am out camping now, I use a cordless DeWalt electric impact for changing paddle tires and leveling the trailer. Its cheap and I dont care if it falls in the sand or anything. When out on the trail in the rock crawler, I always kept my Matco impact on board for repairs and tires. It was powered with 140psi of CO2 and has never let me down even after being used with too much pressure and dropping it in the mud or on the rocks.

• Like 1

As your collection expands I would definitely get at least one Air Drill. With good bits and a strong compressor they will really cut a hole.   Air Chisel is another good buy but be sure to get well made bits as cheap ones will just dull rather quickly. Air ratchets not so much in my opinion as they seem to have little torque but are good for spinning on free nuts. I have two,  a 3/8 and a 1/2 inch and hardly ever use them

On 5/9/2018 at 7:32 PM, Todd B said:

When I here Harbor Freight it feels like someone just put there finger nails on the chaulk board. It even hurts to spell it. The only thing a HF has of quality is there front door. Because it is used very often when guys bring the tools back again and again when they break. 

They sell a lot of crap, and some decent stuff even getting into name brands now.. The Earthquake guns are known to be good quality, except the battery powered one which is just overpriced crap. I don't buy a ton of stuff from them, but have bought grinders and a few other power tools, Predator engines, torque wrenches and a number of hand tools and specialty tools.. Very little have I ever returned.

I remember years ago when the battery powered impacts were first being offered.  I thought how much easier and faster it would make my job. I knew  at the time then they didn't have the torque  I needed and the prices were pretty high.  I knew technology would get better and eventually prices would get more reasonable.  I think  I'm about ready to buy now, just down to which brand.  I'm getting more and more into making things easier on me when I work on things.  Should have had this mentality years ago but finances have dictated some choices.