I'm Not Jacking Around!

Bottle jack under my seat is fully extended and turning the thingy does nothing, just spins.

Went to the junk yard...

sBxLjsH.jpg

and found a frozen antique jack without a handle. 

M1qS0Qv.jpg

This junkyard charged me $5 for a hub dust cap and was trying to get $32 for a scissors jack from the guy in front of me. I'm afraid of what they would charge me for that jack or the stainless grill bars I sluethed out?!

My question is what are y'all using for a jack? I'd appreciate recommendations.  Should I try a more buyer friendly junkyard or hit Google Shopping? What will fit under the seat and come to the rescue some cold snowy night?

for safety, a small portable trolley jack in a carry case......for looks, the original pained up and stored in place never to be used....for all around ease of jacking in about any situation and light weight, the ole scissors jack but please be sure you on a firm foundation.   For such things as my trailer and for the number of sill jack port style cars I own that use peg-hole style jacking points, I always seek out a small scissors jack to place in a bag or case.  think first safety, then imagine a worse case scenario of a jack failure say in the peg style where a lower weld or structure failure allows the jack to pivot into the side body as the weight comes crashing down 

Hmmm, hard to find a trolley jack that will fit under the seat and have a max lift height that will work for our trucks. I measure 15" from ground to bottom of my running boards. Same with bottle or scissor jack, max height seems to be around 12-15 inches.

I use a triangle lift. It is placed in front of the tire to be changed, the the vehicle is driven forward to lift the car. Very simple, easy to use, and  always ready to go! 

sometimes, there is never enough room for the items we need...I have found that the trolley placed in the right position of the average suspension points of the older vehicles adequate for service needs.  I have more cars that are closer to too low in suspension for the trolley to work instead of being too high ....

17 minutes ago, FlashBuddy said:

Seriously Paul? I Google "triangle lift" and found this

YDEtdgW.jpg

Oh yes, I always make sure I have at least one of these in the truck.  More is better.

51 minutes ago, FlashBuddy said:

Seriously Paul? I Google "triangle lift" and found this

YDEtdgW.jpg

I am positive that my wife will not allow this kind of lift in my truck! 

45 minutes ago, BigDaddyO said:

Cribbing.

Infinitely adjustable.

Easily stored.

Cheap.

Readily available.

Works on every make and model.

image.png.e73be54f3293706523a0e61b3ef5a801.png

Not my idea of quick and easy on the side of the road, at midnight, in a snow storm, or worse, a rain storm; the only time one gets a flat generally. But then again, it may be the only option.

I have a $12.00 yearly add on to my J.C. Taylor insurance for my 5 old cars.

It covers towing and roadside assistance.  I just have to remember to bring my cell phone.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FlashBuddy said:

Bottle jack under my seat is fully extended and turning the thingy does nothing, just spins.

Went to the junk yard...

sBxLjsH.jpg

and found a frozen antique jack without a handle. 

M1qS0Qv.jpg

This junkyard charged me $5 for a hub dust cap and was trying to get $32 for a scissors jack from the guy in front of me. I'm afraid of what they would charge me for that jack or the stainless grill bars I sluethed out?!

My question is what are y'all using for a jack? I'd appreciate recommendations.  Should I try a more buyer friendly junkyard or hit Google Shopping? What will fit under the seat and come to the rescue some cold snowy night?

The problem is finding another yard that actually has those same parts. Ask first and see what the price is. The stainless bars are hard to find and bring good $ so if you are hunting I'd certainly not pass that set up. 

google "aluminum race day jack"

they are light weight, have decent lift capacity and height. not sure if they will fit under the seat but they are nice compact jacks. can be lifted fairly easily and have a long handle to get out from the truck incase it falls which is much safer then the old style jacks

• Like 1

I have  a 2 ton trolley jack and socket breaker bar.  a couple blocks of wood as well.

as Ed said, you find those bars (actually any) in stainless, you don't ask, you just buy.  you WILL find a buyer.

7 hours ago, FlashBuddy said:

Not my idea of quick and easy on the side of the road, at midnight, in a snow storm, or worse, a rain storm; the only time one gets a flat generally. But then again, it may be the only option.

Maybe not this exact setup. It was for illustration mostly. but for crying out loud, if you can't make a jack and a couple pieces of 2 x 4 or 2 x 6 work on the side of the road you better do what Reg Evans does and make the call.

Edited by BigDaddyO
speling
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

A JACK IS FOR LIFTING.  NOT HOLDING. TIRES = FIVE YEARS AND DONE;    WORN 60% GONE AND DONE -- CELL PHONE WITH RECEPTION ------- Charlie Stephenson, watching the road.. lucky ?

Sheesh, who would drive around with a fifty pound trolley jack in their truck? Maybe those who can't afford the "Aluminum Rade Day Jack" ($125-$550). I like the @Reg Evans solution; emergency roadside assistance and a cell phone ?

I finally gave up on y'all and digested the post by @BigDaddyO, then I got down on my knees, shimmied under the truck with a tape measure and came up with 8" ground to axel in the front and 10" in the rear. ERGO, any jack that will fit under the seat and raise fourteen inches or so should get the job done. Hell, I won't even need to cart around a stack of 2x4's. Phew! 

I have no idea what @Charlie Stephenson was thinking. Reads like some kind of Haiku ?

I'm going to go back to the junkyard and see what kind of dough they might try to extort out of me for those stainless bars. Note too they are all pretty dinged up but could be refreshed. I'm not going to pay 150 each and try to sell them for 175 just to make twenty something bucks. That would be crazy. I also don't want to take apart the front end just to reach the nuts only to get priced out; do the part pulling for them for free! I would like to get that jack if they would sell it for a decent price - maybe fifty bucks?

nbsmQYJTtuxIn85VGWor5XBZZeXtlziInlRqNsxl

My cynical side has me thinking the junkyard peeps throw outrageous prices at people who have pulled parts that would be an easy sell on EPAY. When the prospective customer shoots him that "you're out of your friggin' mind" look and walks out, they move the parts to their internet sales department. Am I reaching here? That notwithstanding, there is something magical about junkyards, an uncommon art form.

iwFa4eJZTtHoGwZwIPwKjwvjEyUGBq9uQBdM-qNy

I'm gonna measure my under seat space and find a very small trolley jack or a nice bottle jack and call it a job done.

Yeah, its the biggest one I've ever been in. The amount of cars pre 1954 is amazing. Stacks of rear ends, carbs, on and on. Check out these old wagons/trailers stuffed full of vintage parts, all rusting peacefully - but then again, its Colorado rust, not the same as east or left coast rust.

jLzoQ0Q6z0dv9ujSr0OlRnPGleNHKyEBTeWH_ah8

• Like 1

You guys don't know jack... ?

I found this jack at a Restore a few years ago for $10, or so, and had to buy it. I don't use it, but it was too cool to leave there.

2B7B7118-427B-4CD8-9E6B-E36D1207D04D_zps

I have a storage box in the bed of my truck to keep a few things. One of those things is a jack similar to this. It's much more useful when needed. So far it's only been needed to help others, but it's been handy to have. I haven't tried, but it would it might even fit under the seat

91f4jgZ4DWL._SX679_.jpg