Whos Still On CB Radio ?

55 Fargo

Breaker 19 whos still on a CB radio?

Got a couple old CBs and fired 1 up.

Locally I have heard nothing and at 1 time in my area it was crazy busy on a CB. 

But today its got out about 86 but a more northerly breeze now.

But the " skip" is rolling in big time.

Getting CBers from As far away  as Kentucky, Chicago and Montana.

I hear them they dont seem to hear me....lol

Many years ago had a base station, power mike and big roof top antenna.

I would talk with people many miles away often..... 10-10 on the side

I have a small handheld CB in my company truck. It gets used for communication within quarry’s where my customers work. I’ll turn it on once in a while while driving, but don’t hear much chatter on the roads anymore. I also have one built into my Honda Gold Wing. Use that one for communication during group rides. 

I've got my license from back (way back) when it was required by the FCC, but darned if I remember my number.  Here in Maine they call CB "MURS" (Multiple Use Radio System) out in the woods.  Smaller frequency band, not as many watts, so the timber companies don't walk on each other.  Loggers use it to announce locations of trucks and other equipment on the roads in the North Maine Woods.  No cellular service in most of the NMW.  Good to have so you know where the log drivers are and which way they're going, since log trucks have the right of way in the NMW (all private and corporate roads).  So, after not using my Radio Shack CB since I got out of high school, I've dusted it off and put it in my pick-up truck for forays into the wilderness.  I turn it on for giggles once in a while, but all I get is woods traffic.  Probably going to invest in a modern one, that old transistor CB doesn't quite cut it any more.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Merle Coggins said:

I have a small handheld CB in my company truck. It gets used for communication within quarry’s where my customers work. I’ll turn it on once in a while while driving, but don’t hear much chatter on the roads anymore. I also have one built into my Honda Gold Wing. Use that one for communication during group rides. 

I thought the C B had a microphone wired next to the tailpipe on a gold wing so you can hear when it starts. 

Wall to wall and treetop tall. Powerline was the handle, TRC-490 chip modded and jail broke transmitting from a 15m tri-axial base tower at home. On the road I had CB's in almost every vehicle I owned until cell phones became the rage.  Moved three times since I took the tower down, but still have all the gear.  Someday it may go back up with a new radio shack in the garage.  Fond memories for sure.  Little known fact, I met my brother in law on the CB and he introduced me to my wife.... 32 years ago! 

I've been looking at buying a new set for the Sedan and installing a nice whip. 

• Like 1

Looking for a new wife??   ?

DO NOT let the wife see this post!!

DJ

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Todd B said:

I thought the C B had a microphone wired next to the tailpipe on a gold wing so you can hear when it starts. 

Don’t need to hear it. That’s why there’s a tach on the dash. I can see when the engine’s running. ?

Got my 1st cb in 1964. A Sonar Model G a 6 xtal model (had to buy send/receive channel crystals for each channel). Still have 3 or 4 sets laying around somewhere with power mikes 23 channels). Also have a Cobra base. In my custom van, my set would dead key at 175 watts and talk at 200 watts.