Dodge 108 1953 electrics

Michaelmach

I recently bought an old Dodge 108 ute.1953 year   Been sitting in a shed for 20 years and needs some TLC, but not too bad really.

Now to the point where we are wanting to get the engine running. New plugs, leads, condensor, coil. all other eletrics seem okay.

But can only get a very weak / low voltage througout. Not enough to turn the starter motor. Good battery.

Turn the engine with the crank handle but very weak spart at the distributor points.

Anyone got an idea where to start looking?

thanks Michael.

Check the battery voltage.  It may have a bad cell.  Then check voltage at other points down the line.

It is possible the battery cable connections are not  as good as they look.  Both ends.

I think the first thing I would do would be to take off the starter and test it off the Ute to see if it will try to kick in. Then  make any repairs it might need,clean it up good,and maybe put a tiny dab of grease in each end plate before putting it back together. Clean the cable end while you are down there,and put the cable back on using new nuts and washers.

Edited by knuckleharley
  • Like 1

K and others,

Knuckle Harley had an excellent suggestion of using new washers and nuts.  Just wondering, with all the slop on roads and usual rust and corrosion,,,would it be prudant to use brass nuts and washers?

Welcome to the forum Michael. You talk like an Aussie... where are you from?

I know that GeeKay has recently fixed a problem with low spark on his old Ambulance in Victoria, so I've mentioned your post to him and expect that he will get in touch with you when he returns from his fishing trip (off Gladstone QLD) soon.

You might be best posting in the truck side of this forum, although the electrics on the car are the same.

Got any pics of your truck?

Hi Michael. The 1953 108 Fargo I acquired was similar in condition to yours (mine 34 years sitting outside next to farm shed).

I would start with the Earth as Plymouthy suggests. 

All the symptoms you describe are what I have experienced too.

And I recommend a brand new battery otherwise these old girls can make life difficult.

PM is you like.

Whereabouts in Oz are you? I am in Albury/Wodonga on the Murray river.

Edited by Geekay

Thanks so much to all you blokes ( yes I am Aus, Qld thanks Desotodav and Geekay, well spotted ? ). Followed your advice and I got the old girl going with the crank handle, ticks over like a clock, amazing really after all those years of neglect.

I have cleaned up all the earths and connections through out, got a good spark then a few hand cranks and away she went. We pulled out the starter motor and it was filthy so cleaned up contacts and expect it will be a goer now.

Now that we have it running I find the radiator is pretty poor, honeycomb style and radiator mob say it is not repairable except with some bars leaks type of product. New core would be about $1,200 and then it would not be the original style ( honeycomb), so there is a delimna. Everyones advice has been useful thank you till next time.

A couple of pics, fortunately we live in a dry area so not much rust ( not much paint either). Looking forwrd to getting her ready and road registered some time this year.

IMG_4795.jpg

IMG_4870.JPG

• Like 2

I'm so pleased that you got the old truck running again Michael.

Greg owns and runs a company called FTRS just north of Brisbane... http://www.ftrs.com.au/ ... he would be the best person to call if you wanted to keep that original honeycomb style radiator. He's a wizard  at fixing fuel tanks as well!

I know that Harold Ireland had a couple of NOS radiator cores which would be from your model truck, so I could put you in touch with him if you wish.

I'm not sure where you are here in Qld, but I'm just south of Brisbane. I'll send you a PM on the forum here with my email address - click on the envelope to the top right of the toolbar when you get a chance.

Edited by Desotodav
  • Like 1