'50 Dodge B-2 Series Stepside Truck Repairs

On 9/19/2018 at 6:58 AM, 5027 steve said:

I'm to a point of installation of my rear shocks and found something so simple (if I would have taken a picture) that I'm confused (easy to do) ...most shocks I have ever installed had cup washers on each side of the shock bushings..the new shocks (Napa) didn't come with any and I don't remember the truck having them well at least they are not in my 5gal pail of parts I removed...do I simple put the shocks on with no washers ???? Thanks Steve

Lol I was just reading this post and saw this.....How did it ever get on this thread??? I've never read this post before.......Sorry Andrew 50

• 5 weeks later...

Yeah, I saw that too was puzzled.  Thanks.

Hey Guys.  This truck came back to me a couple weeks ago for more work.  I've now replaced the whole wiring harness and replaced the water pump with parts purchased from DCM Classics.  The old water pump was unbelievably worn out.  Bearings were shot and seals leaking.  The engine is now so much quieter with the valves also adjusted.

So yesterday, for the first time, I took the truck for a real ride.  As it gets to 40mph it develops quite a shimmy/shake seemingly on the front left side.  I checked toe in with a tape measure and it seems pretty close.  So it seems it needs wheel balancing, or is this a characteristic of king pins worn out?  When I had the truck in the air I rocked the front wheels and noted a little movement in the king pins but figured it would be okay.  How much is too much?  How hard are these to change out?

Update:  Today (Nov 12) I discussed with Steve at DCM Classics.  He suggests I check toe-in specs with a target spec of 1/4" to 3/8".  I believe it now has very little and will check and adjust in the near future.  I did rotate tires from front to rear & rear to front with no improvement.  This doesn't completely rule out balancing but I'm going to first check alignment.

Edited by Andrew50