Large hole in floor

greg g

In preparation for the impending overdrive installation, I spent this forenoon removing the center floor section. Aside from trashing the 72 year old rubber floor mat, the job was pretty easy even with my pinched nerve, shot rotator cuffs, arthritic shoulder thrown into the equation. Took about an hour all included. Haven't got under yet to deal with the drive shaft but it sure looks like it will make the rest of the job a lot easier.

But after the mat shreaded it self looks like a non stock carpet is going to be needed.

As my body use these folks or have any recommendations?

https://www.stockinteriors.com/CutSewnCarpet.asp?Itemid=7461&ModelId=546

• Like 2

Nobody makes repo rubber mats? If not,somebody is missing the gravy train boat!

Too bad about the mat.  It is not necessary to remove the floorboard.  The whole job can be done from underneath.

1 hour ago, dpollo said:

Too bad about the mat.  It is not necessary to remove the floorboard.  The whole job can be done from underneath.

I tried to do mine without removing the floor. After a couple nights of fighting with it I gave up and removed the floor. Went right in after that. 

3 hours ago, greg g said:

In preparation for the impending overdrive installation, I spent this forenoon removing the center floor section. Aside from trashing the 72 year old rubber floor mat, the job was pretty easy even with my pinched nerve, shot rotator cuffs, arthritic shoulder thrown into the equation. Took about an hour all included. Haven't got under yet to deal with the drive shaft but it sure looks like it will make the rest of the job a lot easier.

But after the mat shreaded it self looks like a non stock carpet is going to be needed.

As my body use these folks or have any recommendations?

https://www.stockinteriors.com/CutSewnCarpet.asp?Itemid=7461&ModelId=546

Thats the carpet I went with, although I have not yet installed.  I have laid down a layer of window flashing, then carpet pad.  For sound and heat.

54 minutes ago, windsor48 said:

They don't do mats though that I could find... which is a bummer cause I need a trunk mat.

Windsors use carpet up front. Easy to replace that.

Six cylinder cars have rubber trunk mats... no one makes those.

37 minutes ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

Windsors use carpet up front. Easy to replace that.

Six cylinder cars have rubber trunk mats... no one makes those.

Good clarification. I meant I didn't see that they sold any mats even if application was correct. 

In my case, was hoping for a molded trunk mat... which nobody makes. 

One of the things I noticed when the floor was opened up was the speedo cable seems to be pumping trans lube up the cable.  Archemedies screw comes to mind.  This allows a pool of oil to accumulate in a hollow in the passenger side shield above the exhaust pipe.  I haven't looked yet but is there supposed to be a seal or o ring there?  The other concern is the of speedo drive is on the opposite side of the trans.  Wondering if the standard cable will reach?

9 hours ago, greg g said:

One of the things I noticed when the floor was opened up was the speedo cable seems to be pumping trans lube up the cable.  Archemedies screw comes to mind.  This allows a pool of oil to accumulate in a hollow in the passenger side shield above the exhaust pipe.  I haven't looked yet but is there supposed to be a seal or o ring there?  The other concern is the of speedo drive is on the opposite side of the trans.  Wondering if the standard cable will reach?

Greg I bought a 18" speedo cable extension off ebay.  I didn't want the OEM cable to be stressed with the reach.

s-l500.jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, greg g said:

Have never seen them if they are out there!.

There is one on ebay right now... only issue is the price is half what you paid for the OD...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1946-1947-1948-PLYMOUTH-FRONT-FLOOR-MAT-MOPAR-RUBBER-PLIABLE-SPECIAL-DELUXE-P15-/172223570162

Just a though but I wonder if anyone has tried sourcing from the more popular repopped stuff...  for instance, might it be that this would work...?  Honestly from one car to another in the 40's, I suspect floor pan dimensions would have been darn close I think. 

http://www.lmctruck.com/features/fa/FAC23.htm

1 hour ago, Mark D said:

Greg I bought a 18" speedo cable extension off ebay.  I didn't want the OEM cable to be stressed with the reach.

s-l500.jpg

I didn't even realize there was such a thing!

Thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark D said:

There is one on ebay right now... only issue is the price is half what you paid for the OD...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1946-1947-1948-PLYMOUTH-FRONT-FLOOR-MAT-MOPAR-RUBBER-PLIABLE-SPECIAL-DELUXE-P15-/172223570162

Gotta know who the seller is at that price...  Not going for points s carpet will do.

3 minutes ago, Frank Elder said:

He is a greedy git.......lol. 

Looked twice-

I thought it had 24 ct. gold heat reflective backing!

DJ

7 hours ago, greg g said:

What length did you use?

I am still using whatever was on mine.