started on the 55 pontiac

casper50

On 5/12/2020 at 5:10 PM, JerseyHarold said:

Looks great!

If you have pitted pot metal can you just fill and sand the pits before coating?

On 5/13/2020 at 3:21 AM, casper50 said:

No.  I had to sand the metal smooth.  Powder coat guy said that baking at 400 degrees does bad things to body filler.

Lab-metal can be used to fill pits before powder coating.

Hopefully yours got clear coat.

Chrome powders all have terrible UV resistance. Clear coating with some good 2k is pretty much a requirement for anything that's gonna see much daylight.

Super chrome has been discontinued but

Prismatic says

A top coat is highly recommended and actually required if you want Super Chrome or other high content metallic finishes to not oxidize

Edited by 50mech

• 1 month later...

I have finally bought the top bearing for the steering column.  Couldn't find a new one so got a good used one.  Last piece that I needed.  Putting in the front seat.  Have run into 2 small problems but the upholster will fix no charge.  Almost finished now. The first three photos show the problems.  Seat gap between the back and bottom isn't right and there should be vinyl on that part in the back corner.

IMG_20200926_091625 (1).jpg

IMG_20200926_091645.jpg

IMG_20200926_094112.jpg

IMG_20200926_093735.jpg

IMG_20200926_094307.jpg

IMG_20200926_093940_Bokeh.jpg

IMG_20200926_093841_Bokeh (1).jpg

Edited by casper50
  • Like 1

Well that elephant is almost gone.!

A lot of bites but I sure can appreciate your patience and the quality of work, start to almost finished.

One of a kind and beautiful! Congrats!

A drive down to the  west coast Good-guys get-together ( Pleasanton, Ca.) come spring?  I would love to see it!

DJ

• 6 months later...

I was wondering when this thread would appear again. I’ve been missing it. 

The car looks magnificent. I know I and others are looking forward to the maiden drive pictures. 

I’ve always liked the ‘55-56 Pontiacs 

Moved both cars up to the main garage.  Had to charge the Pontiac battery, the Dodge fired right up after a little gas down the throat.  Not bad for sitting for 6 months.  If I didn't I wouldn't get them out of the back 40 until June.

IMG_20210417_104303.jpg

IMG_20210417_104238.jpg

• Like 2

19 hours ago, RobertKB said:

I was wondering when this thread would appear again. I’ve been missing it. 

The car looks magnificent. I know I and others are looking forward to the maiden drive pictures. 

I’ve always liked the ‘55-56 Pontiacs 

Ditto to all that. Pontiac certainly looks a project to be proud of. The Dodge looks quite magnificent too.

Cars with real style!

• 1 month later...

Yes, congratulations from down under too. Looks a real beauty! And sounds great too. For all of the frustrations we have with modern life I am so grateful to have access to this forum and all the folks on it to be able to see projects like this. Am old enough to remember times when it was all just about your local area and a few magazines.

Thanks for taking the time to share your project with us all ??

I’ve enjoyed this thread start to finish! What a great job you have done on a car that was really a basket case to start!! It looks great and runs well. 

Now it’s time to go for that ‘55 Caddy you were looking at earlier. You would make a great car there too.