started on the 55 pontiac

casper50

The Pontiac wagons shared the Chevy bodies, including the rear fenders.  Too small a run of wagons to justify special Pontiac fenders. 

So the tail light openings were the same shape as for the Chevys. 

Through the course of the rebuild, the tail light openings have been screaming "Chevy!", but now we see the special Pontiac tail lights.    

Cheaper to make the special tail lights than special fenders.

The same may be true with tail gate chrome, etc. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/15/2020 at 10:20 AM, casper50 said:

Finished the front end chrome and trim last night.  Bumper and grill sit about 1/2" to the driver's side.   Adjusted it to the passenger side as far as it will go.    

Probably that way from the factory. Fit was not as good as on modern cars.

When I restored my '51 Dodge business coupe, I could never get the hood to fit perfectly. It's good but not perfect. I did every adjustment there was and it remained fractionally off. I figure that it came that way from the factory. Unless I point it out, nobody notices. Same with your bumper and grill. I only know it's out 1/2" because you told me. 

It looks great!!

Your car looks amazing!  I am sure it’s not the same mainly because I deal with salt in the winter’s. But I have purchased two different dump trailers with, as they quoted high-quality powder coat paint and after two winters they look like crap. Paint comes off in sheets. The last one I purchased I paid extra for I believe a zink primer and after one winter it looks great.  

I absolutely love the quality of work you have been doing on your Pontiac.