started on the 55 pontiac

casper50

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

right now I'm waiting on the transmission to be gone through so that I can mount the body, fenders and doors and paint it all at once.  The trans guy is slow but cheap.  Once that's done it's on to the large expense of the interior.  So just doing it as money becomes available.  I haven't decided what to do about the bumpers.  Chrome isn't good, no chromers up here and buying good ones and shipping is going to break the bank.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been searching for the rubber body mounts for the 55.  Cheapest that I can find is $175 for 28 pieces of rubber.  I decided to make my own.

1.  I bought a sheet of 1/2" and a  sheet of 5/8" thick rubber.

2.  cut out the 14 2 1/8" x 1/2" square pieces.

3.  used a spade bit 1 1/4" to make the inset for the steel washer in the bottom.

4.  next I drilled the 3/4" hole through the middle using the hole that the point of the spade bit made when it exited on the other side to center the 3/4" arbor bit.

That finished the square parts.

5.  the round parts I cut out using a 1 3/8" hole saw

6.  I then used the same 3/4" arbor bit for the center hole.

Total cost $35.

IMG_2249.jpg

IMG_2250.jpg

IMG_2251.jpg

Edited by casper50
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Received bad news from the radiator shop. Mine is shot. Leaking everywhere. $670 to recore it. I've searched online but can't find any new Pontiac radiators older than 61. Anyone know where I can buy a new one or anyone have a good OEM one for sale?

an answer on the HAMB gave me this. http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=508897   Looks like it works well.  I'll ask my radiator guy if he can put a heater connection on the bottom of the tank.  If so I'm going this way.  I looked on ebay and found both 3 and 4 row radiators below $200 shipped.   What is the difference between a 3 and 4 row radiator?