started on the 55 pontiac

casper50

Dirty but necessary work! It's always nice when this kind of work is done and painted. It give a real feeling of accomplishement. Always enjoy the videos!

Probably going to repair the floors before painting is my guess.:P

• 1 month later...

I'm still sandblasting the body.  The inside, bottom, firewall and one side is finished.  Had to take a detour and finish some other things.  Worked on it yesterday and will continue today.  Will take a video when it's done most likely 2 or 3 days.

done with most of the boring tedious stuff.  As soon as the floor pans and rockers get here the rust replacement will begin.  Still tedious doing all that welding but not as boring as sandblasting.

I have the disc brakes installed.  I have no idea who writes these instruction but they read like Chinese.  Must be one set of instructions for all their kits as many parts weren't used, the bearings they furnished fit right in instead of having to remove the bearings in the new rotor per instructions and the instructions are way more complicated than the actual install.  I did have to grind one of the protective ears for the hose to caliper connection off as it hit the steering stop.  The bolts that they furnish also would have removed the steering stop since they did not provide the correct extended bolt.  But, saying all of that it fits really well, no mods other than grinding off that small ear and looks super.  Hope it stops as well as it looks.  Will take photos once I have both sides done.

IMG_1982.jpg

IMG_1984.jpg

I've been phoning some scrap yards in the lower 48 looking for a pair of rear drums for the pontiac.  Most are running between $100 and $120.  I told them Kanter sells them new for $89.  What's up with that?

https://www.kanter.com/productdetail.aspx?Mak=Pontiac&Ov=1&Yr=1955&Dv=1&Dpt=1100&Sb=0&Vdr=&Itm=&MDv=1&MDpt=0&MSb=0&Cat=6&Prc=35

To bad they only ship UPS or FeDex.  ripoff to Alaska.  each drum will fit in a $18 flat rate box as I tried with one of my old ones.

Edited by casper50

Is the '55 Pontiac drum the same as Chevy?  'Tri-5' Chevy parts are a dime a dozen.  Rock Auto shows drums for under $30.00 each.

If you go to the '55 Chevy brake drum listing in Rock Auto, and click the blue 'Info' button on the Bendix listing, they show a list of alternate part numbers.  if one of those is the same as your wagon, I'd say you're good to go.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...