Correct jack for '42?

jcmiller

• 1 month later...
On 4/30/2018 at 4:26 PM, jcmiller said:

Does this look like the correct jack for a 1942 Plymouth?  It was in the trunk when I bought it.

20180429_145640r.jpg

I don't have a 1942 Plymouth so I don't know,but does the bottom of your bumper have notches cut out to fit the "stud" on that jack?

It looks an awful lot like the jack that was in the trunk of the 38 Chrysler I bought when I was a kid,but I can't swear it was actually a 38 Chrysler jack.

I''ll check the bumper for the notches, but here is what I really need to know - is this more likely from a 1970 Fury or a 1942 Plymouth?  The reason I ask, is that I am selling the '42 and agreed to include the things that came with the car.  This is on a shelf in the garage, and I can't remember which car it came from.  It looks an awful lot like the one that my 70 Barracuda had.  Thx!!

1 hour ago, jcmiller said:

I''ll check the bumper for the notches, but here is what I really need to know - is this more likely from a 1970 Fury or a 1942 Plymouth?  The reason I ask, is that I am selling the '42 and agreed to include the things that came with the car.  This is on a shelf in the garage, and I can't remember which car it came from.  It looks an awful lot like the one that my 70 Barracuda had.  Thx!!

I have no idea what it originally came in,but I do know that if your 42 Plymouth doesn't have notches in the bumpers for the "boss" on that jack,it didn't come with the 42.

1 hour ago, Rustydodge46 said:

I have another question to add to this thread and sorry to hi-jack but where are the lift points supposed to be on a 42? I only have a low profile floor jack and the best i can manage at first glace / try was the leaf springs.....

Most people slide their jacks  under the "pumpkin" and then put jack stands under the axle housings.

Do NOT work under any car  held off the floor only with a bumper or floor jack!

I think you'd win the Darwin award for stupidest death doing that!

Unfortunately the diff is so far under i actually can get no leverage with the floor jack lever.....

I think i'm just going to have to do one leaf at a time and put 3T stands on each side at this stage

11 minutes ago, Rustydodge46 said:

I think you'd win the Darwin award for stupidest death doing that!

Unfortunately the diff is so far under i actually can get no leverage with the floor jack lever.....

I think i'm just going to have to do one leaf at a time and put 3T stands on each side at this stage

Seriously?

If you are so wise,WHY did you ask how to do it?

BTW,I have done this with my 42 with no problems. I won't bother to offer any more suggestions to you,though.

raising the car to change a tire from lifting on the rear axle only places the wheel higher into the wheel well and often with the Dodge and wheel studs places you at a grave disadvantage when it comes time to slide the unbolted wheel out of it position inside the fender.  (Plymouth with wheel bolts can be done from the axle as I just did this a week ago on the P15)   You have to have some spring relaxation to enable this procedure.  Jacking from the bumper with the stock jack or any other device will raises the rear quite high to get the wheel off the ground.   If you were to use a trolley or scissors jack and depending on the cup of the jack, at near the spring's silent block you will raise the car and wheel but by being ahead of the axle and on a frame point, you will get the needed lift and lowering of the wheel from the well to make this a more pleasant experience.  This is the very point forward of the axle that the weight of the body rests on the leaf spring.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

raising the car to change a tire from lifting on the rear axle only places the wheel higher into the wheel well and often with the Dodge and wheel studs places you at a grave disadvantage when it comes time to slide the unbolted wheel out of it position inside the fender.  (Plymouth with wheel bolts can be done from the axle as I just did this a week ago on the P15)   You have to have some spring relaxation to enable this procedure.  Jacking from the bumper with the stock jack or any other device will raises the rear quite high to get the wheel off the ground.   If you were to use a trolley or scissors jack and depending on the cup of the jack, at near the spring's silent block you will raise the car and wheel but by being ahead of the axle and on a frame point, you will get the needed lift and lowering of the wheel from the well to make this a more pleasant experience.  This is the very point forward of the axle that the weight of the body rests on the leaf spring.

So,if you are only jacking it up to change the wheels,put your jack stands under the chassis rails. This ain't rocket science.

Edited by knuckleharley

On 6/26/2018 at 5:14 AM, knuckleharley said:

Seriously?

If you are so wise,WHY did you ask how to do it?

BTW,I have done this with my 42 with no problems. I won't bother to offer any more suggestions to you,though.

I think he was referring to your warning about not working under a car that is jacked up and not your suggestion about using the differential as the lift point.

2 hours ago, Rustydodge46 said:

Hi knuckleharley, 

Sorry I think you've misconstrued what I said.  I meant no offence at all.  I'm new to old mopar but know that you would be crazy to work under a  vehicle that's raised without adequate support.  Sorry 

I apologize also. There are some people who come to sites like this who have never really done any mechanical work,so IMHO it is better to err on the side of safety than to ignore it.

And none of us know it all,especially me. I'm more at home with antique Harley's than anything else,and had to quit riding in 1990 due to sometimes getting somewhere and not being able to get back home because suddenly I couldn't raise my leg high enough to get on it.  That was what made me gravitate back to antique cars.