Making my Airflow a daily driver

austinsailor

This is more a brainstorming session than a particular question.

rather than buy yet another newer POS plastic car, I'm toying with turning my '36 Desoto Airflow into my daily driver. What good are they if you don't drive them?

biggest problem is I either need new rear wnd gears or a different transmission. I'm owner #4 of this 50,000 mile car, and for some reason many years ago the original overdrive transmission was disassembled and an unknown 3 speed was put in. Overdrive came in a box with it, but rebuilding it is a $3-4 k exercise, and likely not reliable. Rear gears are something lower than 4:11, so right now 45 is about the top you'd want to go.

i have a set of nos 3:56 gears that might solve some of this.  Also, maybe a 5 speed with overdrive. You'll say right off " Wait, you'll lose your e brake". Well, not really, because when they put in this 3 speed it was a foot shorter than the overdrive. The e brake interfeared with the frame so they tossed it.

so, maybe a T5 and a modern rear axle. Airflow has a 5 on 5" wheel pattern, so that needs to be solved. (And no left hand threads on the left - not a problem, just a curiosity). 

Original motor, runs fine and should last a long time. Brakes, suspension and steering all in good shape. 

Just looking for thoughts, ideas, maybe feedback on a T5 fitting an Airflow.

• Like 3

I love the idea of this, I hope you pursue it.  I made an adapter to put a T5 to my Flat 6 but never followed through with it.  Some on the forum seem pessimistic about the T5 swap but I have asked several people that have actually done it, none have been disappointed.  I'll be following this thread for sure, good luck with it.

1 hour ago, austinsailor said:

This is more a brainstorming session than a particular question.

rather than buy yet another newer POS plastic car, I'm toying with turning my '36 Desoto Airflow into my daily driver. What good are they if you don't drive them?

biggest problem is I either need new rear wnd gears or a different transmission. I'm owner #4 of this 50,000 mile car, and for some reason many years ago the original overdrive transmission was disassembled and an unknown 3 speed was put in. Overdrive came in a box with it, but rebuilding it is a $3-4 k exercise, and likely not reliable. Rear gears are something lower than 4:11, so right now 45 is about the top you'd want to go.

i have a set of nos 3:56 gears that might solve some of this.  Also, maybe a 5 speed with overdrive. You'll say right off " Wait, you'll lose your e brake". Well, not really, because when they put in this 3 speed it was a foot shorter than the overdrive. The e brake interfeared with the frame so they tossed it.

so, maybe a T5 and a modern rear axle. Airflow has a 5 on 5" wheel pattern, so that needs to be solved. (And no left hand threads on the left - not a problem, just a curiosity). 

Original motor, runs fine and should last a long time. Brakes, suspension and steering all in good shape. 

Just looking for thoughts, ideas, maybe feedback on a T5 fitting an Airflow.

Not that it matters,but I like the idea as long as you don't have to do anything that can't easily be changed back if the next owner wants to restore it,and if you keep the original parts you remove for the next owner.

If it were me,MY focus was be entirely on the 3rd member gearing right now. Depending on where and how you drive,you may be able to find a 3rd member to put under the car that has a gear ratio that is acceptable to you. Maybe something in the 3:55 to 373 gear ratio range that would give you acceptable acceleration and allow you to drive 55-60 MPH on the highway?

Something out of a Nova/Dart/Mustang sized car from the 50's to the 60's might fit with very little modification,and non-posi units that old are cheap. If it were me,I would avoid the GM rears because of the different bolt pattern.

Have a truck shop build you new driveshaft made to the correct length if you can't find one in a scrap yard the right length,and you are in business.

Edited by knuckleharley

Driveshaft is the least of my worries. An old hot rodder here has s shop, has been making driveshafts for many years. Quality and economical.

As to not doing mods that can't be reversed, I'm not too worried about that. They can discuss that st the estate sale!  But, not much would be done that can't be reversed.

It appears that if I want air conditioning, 12 volts is required. 

Until I dig deeper I won't know if the transmission to bell housing is the same as other Mopars. Airflow's did have some things that didn't follow the others. 

My '38 Dodge came with the original 3 speed and a modern rear end. When I bought it it had a 2.72 ratio, I switched it to a 3.23 and really like it. The car also has late 40's 15 inch rims so I'm running radials and the car registers around 45mph on the speedo when she is doing 55 mph by gps. Also 1st gear I can go up to 30 mph easily with this ratio. You might have a mid thirties mopar tranny if it is a 3 speed floor shift.

It has modern Diamondback wide whitewall radials. You are probably correct about the transmission.

i suppose the easiest way to make it more driveablr would do as you did, swap for a more modern rear, gaining an E brake. If I'm going to drive it regularly I'll have to put normal tags on it, requiring an inspection. Re-drill the hubs for the correct bolt pattern, I'd be off and running. 

It has modern Diamondback wide whitewall radials. You are probably correct about the transmission.

i suppose the easiest way to make it more driveablr would do as you did, swap for a more modern rear, gaining an E brake. If I'm going to drive it regularly I'll have to put normal tags on it, requiring an inspection. Re-drill the hubs for the correct bolt pattern, I'd be off and running. 

I would hold off on redrilling the hubs if I were you. If you are going to make it a daily or semi-daily driver,you are going to want a dual outlet master cylinder on it,and might want disc brakes. Put a rear in it from a Ford or Mopar of the 50's or 60's and you will have a 4.5 inch bolt pattern at the rear and all the disc brake kits I have seen give you a choice of 4.5 or 4.75 inch lug bolt pattern.

• Like 1

I drive a 59 F100 every day. Manual drum brakes, single master. 10,000+ miles a year. I rebuilt the 223 60,000 miles ago. 3 speed on the column 3.70 factory 9" rear. I drive it everywhere, haul with it and do long roadtrips. When my 49 Plymouth coupe is done, I will drive that every day. Relieve the truck some. It's getting a 5 speed and a 3.55 8 1/4 but still has the original rebuilt 218 with a Langdons hei. I'd start with a rear end swap and see how it does. I imagine you have artillary wheels so keeping the factory bolt pattern is a must. Go for it, nothing like driving only old stuff. Very few of us left that do.

• Like 2

Lots of good thoughts!

artillary wheels are gone, never found out why.

I'll start keeping an eye out for a proper rear for the swap.

i'm old school - still test the brakes as I near a stop. Pump or two before I try to use them. Some of you out there will know what I'm talking about. I do understand the difference a dual master cylinder makes. Twice I've had a single system fail catastrophically. Hmmm .... I guess any is catastrophically, huh? Will wake you up at once. 

I wonder if if any of the front disk conversions will fit this car?

lots to think about.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, austinsailor said:

Lots of good thoughts!

artillary wheels are gone, never found out why.

I'll start keeping an eye out for a proper rear for the swap.

i'm old school - still test the brakes as I near a stop. Pump or two before I try to use them. Some of you out there will know what I'm talking about. I do understand the difference a dual master cylinder makes. Twice I've had a single system fail catastrophically. Hmmm .... I guess any is catastrophically, huh? Will wake you up at once. 

I wonder if if any of the front disk conversions will fit this car?

lots to think about.

I don't know why the front spindles would be different from any other 1936 Mopar,so I would say it shouldn't be a problem. Send out a few emails to the suppliers that list their businesses here on the board and ask.

I know everybody has there own ideas on this, but I think that car is worthy of the effort and expense to find an overdrive. It will bolt right in, and be the easiest path to a better cruising speed. Looks to be a very nice car.

3 hours ago, austinsailor said:

Well, iCloud will finally let me have my pictures. Here is the car in question.

IMG_0381.JPG

IMG_0382.JPG

IMG_0383.JPG

THERE is one that will draw attention wherever it goes! I KNOW you get a lot of "wassit?" questions everywhere you go. If it were me,I'll tell people it us a French car with the brand name of  Kumqwat.

• Like 1

THat's the worst idea I've heard in a long time!!

You don't go on political discussion boards,do you?

That idea wasn't even a bad one on a slow Tuesday morning  on a political board.

Hi.. Great idea...my buddy called me today wanting to know what to do with his 2009 Honda Element with no compression on 1 cylinder...we all know the story... So let's ride in a little style...

This topic has been visited many many times..can you make a nice dependable driver out of an 80 year old car...

Of course!! 

We want it to steer, stop and run and let's add some heat/ac as well...

Those cars steered amazingly well with 1936 technology..some adjustments to accommodate modern radial tires are easily done...Rustyhope will make it stop like you want it to...you said it runs well so stick with what works..

Bolt in a rear end of your choice...we put a 3:07 Ford Ranger rear end...relocate the spring pads....stock ebrake...have a driveshaft made...

1940 D-14 cruises 65-70 at 2400...steers and stops fine...

You want heat/ac...mount your Sanden compressor on engine... aftermarket condenser ....heat/ac combo under dash and you're set..

Oh...that ac is going to tax the old flat 6 too much!! Of course it will! AC taxes ANY engine too much...so you do what the sign says in my area."turn off ac next 10 miles to avoid overheating"

OR you could buy a Honda Element and ride in that sort of style ...l like the Airflow

Tom

Edited by Tom
Forgot something