Engine back finally

Jolly

5 months later, I got my engine back from machine shop. Crank was ground 0.30 over, bored 0.40, cam, tappets, oil pump and gone over throughout. Cost was crazy high in my opinion at $3,700.  But stuff cost nowadays. Now to paint this and that so the 40 Chrysler Windsor will be back on the road soon.....

9D36B0FA-781A-4293-9BB2-6FFBE83FC091.jpeg

• Like 2

I gotta admit I shouted out a "YIKES!" at the cost,but I haven't had an engine redone at a machine shop in 10+ years,so that might even be a reasonable price these days for all I know.

What I do know is that once you get it back in the car and get the car back on the road and start enjoying it that the expense will mean less with each time you drive it.

The cost was hard to swallow, but the guy does a lot of classic cars in the area. And the other shop in town wasn’t interested in old iron.  Looking at the big picture, I got the car at a great price because of the rod knock. So I’m not underwater with the total invested in this toy. 

Hopefully all I have to do once it’s back together is drive it and keep it clean. 

Edited by Jolly

I've been shopping around for someone to do my L6 251 and that's about what I've been quoted from several shops give or take a hundred bucks. That would include all new pistons, bearings, timing gear and chain, oil pump, valves and guides, cam reground, milling/boring everything....parts included.

His quote was 3,500 to 4,000, it ended up right in the middle. I really want to be able to drive with confidence 175 miles to the beach a few times a year. So I’m happy to bite the bullet to help have that piece of mind. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Jolly said:

His quote was 3,500 to 4,000, it ended up right in the middle. I really want to be able to drive with confidence 175 miles to the beach a few times a year. So I’m happy to bite the bullet to help have that piece of mind. 

And let's be honest,$3700 ain't what it used to be.

• Like 3

I done my rebuild myself, I did have to farm all the machine work out but still ended up with around $2500 invested. That was including the cam being reground. I don’t think he hurt you too bad on cost.

38 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

Used to be that money talked, now it just goes without saying....

CLEVER! That one almost slipped by without being noticed.

Gotta pay to play. I paid $4000.00 Canadian for a total engine rebuild for my '51 Dodge D39 (Canadian model) business coupe. That was a couple of years ago and works out to around $US3200.00. I thought I got a deal so you did well also. Keep us updated on the install and getting the car back on the road.

I agree, $3700 ain't what it once was. If you do crank work, bore the block, cam bearings, etc, etc. All the things it takes to bring it all back to spec its expensive. I would say most any car or truck engine would cost close to this or more. Some modern engine gasket sets alone are a couple hundred bucks or more. If all you had to do was rings, bearings and a valve lap it wouldn't be much.  You wouldn't get much...but most of the time these engines are torn apart for a rebuild its because its pretty bad.  They'll limp along well worn, low oil pressure, valves and rings not sealing well for years. 

Hope you get lots of smiles and miles from it. Nice car by the way.

10 minutes ago, Jolly said:

Thanks, he did use some parts. Looked at the box of old parts today and he even returned the old freeze plugs. 

A9BEAD2D-F8F8-4BC8-AACC-714FA2F46821.png

I like that. I guess I'm odd but I like to see all my old parts and examine them. 

I usually do all my own work but in some instances I farm something out that's something I ask for. My wife's newer stuff I really don't reach any level of satisfaction working on so it goes to the dealer and saves my spare time for my junk.  I mean fine vintage autos, trucks and motorcycles.

now you've got 6 flathead piston pencil holders for your desk. I've been meaning to make a clock out of an old timing gear but that one hasn't happened yet....

Think that's not a bad price at all.  Good work costs $$, and a good shop will back it up too.  

Let's see it on the road soon!!

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Desotodav said:

I paid about that price for the 218 rebuild in my 53 truck... and then there was an additional $1500 in parts from Egge. Everything seems more expensive here in Oz !!

Tell me about it. My Babbitt bearing pour alone is costing nearly $2400...:( I don't think I will get much change from $7k for the total build.

• Sad 1

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 11:16 PM, maok said:

Tell me about it. My Babbitt bearing pour alone is costing nearly $2400...:( I don't think I will get much change from $7k for the total build.

I didn't realize Babbitt was a precious metal??? 

• 2 weeks later...