1950 Plymouth Suburban chassis question

Collins1

I realized I didn't give enough info after I posted... In any case, I typically like to keep cars in their original state, but I don't mind doing some "safety" type mods such as making a single circuit brake system into a duel circuit (although I haven't even done that on every project).  I like the Flathead for its looks and originality (my goal is to have an engine bay like yours) but it is only a 6 and having never driven (one coupled with the car being a heavy woody) am a  bit concerned about keeping up with freeway traffic (and just getting up to speed on shorter on ramps.  In addition, we have some canyons and hills where I live and have had some experience with issues (ie my 1950 MGTD -  All 57 HP cant make it up my local hill to my parents house ... certainly not with 2 people in the car.  Once, I finished getting up the hill in reverse when bouncing didnt work ;-)  ).  Also, I anticipate the kids (ranging from 17-27 wanting to drive it and they dont have the experience driving in Los Angeles in an under-powered car.  Another concern is the affect of modern day gas on the internals - both valves and rubber components. Supposedly the previous owner had the engine rebuilt before they parked it in the 60's or 70's... it turns over but I have not had it running.

My 50 Plymouth has adequate power for British Columbia's mountains and it has climbed the grade to Lake Tahoe without overheating.

Freeway running is enhanced by an R10 Overdrive which drops engine speed by 30%.  Unleaded fuel causes no problems as these engines have satellite valve seats.

Ethanol fuels may cause problems with the fuel pump but an updated pump is available.  By today's standards, the car may be underpowered, but I have never found a situation where legal speeds  could not be maintained.

I drove my suburban in stock trim for almost a year and in stock trim it was lacking in some areas of performance . Once I started the engine upgrades it was apparent that the drivability issues could be overcome and once I got the factory overdrive unit working the highway cruise issues were gone. I get 20 mpg and can cruise at  75 mph @ 2000 rpms. It's a pleasure to drive. I'm heading for the good guys show in Nashville in two weeks and then the hot rod power tour in June so my wagon will get plenty of use. Here my list of improvements and their effectiveness 1-dual carbs/intake 2-split exhaust manifolds/dual exhaust 3-edgy aluminum head 4-overdrive unit 5- engine rebuild .040 over bore . This is still 1950's technology and 100plus horsepower in today's world so if you want more then I'd consider other avenues.