Houston we have a problem

mrbobs48

I bought a new pilot bearing from Andy pulled the old one out of my 48 Plymouth. New bearing is bigger than the old one on the outside OD. What the heck is going on, Andy list all pilot bearings same size??? The old bearing is not in bad shape. Help.

He must have sent you the wrong one! They P-15's and more are all the same size...

These cars do use different size pilot bushings.  I had the same issue when I rebuilt the clutch on our D24 20 or so years ago.  Ordered the bushing from AB, it was wrong size, same as yours, inside diameter correct, outside too big.  Went to Pep Boys, they specifically asked if it was the bigger or smaller one because their book showed two OD sizes.

If Andy and AB is Andy Bernbaum, I would call them first.  I've dealt with them numerous times, and if the wrong part was sent, they will make good on it.  Explain what you reported here, give them a chance to look into it.  Good folks to deal with , as is Roberts.  Lots of parts on my 39 from both companies.

brian b

I called Andy today that's the only one they sell, he said mine must be modified. I went to City Brake and Clutch here in OKC where I had my flywheel, clutch and pressure plate redone. City brake had one that was a perfect match, $2.00.

• Like 1

This bearing is the same one used by chrysler into the muscle car era and beyond. If it had a manual and v8 it probably had the same pilot. Later they adapted a roller bearing retrofit for the older cars which was actually oe on newer vehicles.

Any Chrysler parts agency should stock this bushing. It fits a 360 among other engines.