1941 Plymouth P12 Sedan Brake rebuild kits

Joeys41

What are your thoughts on the Master Brake rebuild kits that are sold on ebay? Good, No good, crap OR decent, doable or ok? What are your recommendations on what vendor is reputable to get this stuff?I'm getting ready to rebuild the entire brake system and would prefer to buy new brake parts rather than to rebuild anything as the car had been sitting for years and most of the brake system is old and shot. Thanks for your time and input.

Jesse

If I’m looking at the right kit on eBay it shows $625 free shipping. 

I got my master cylinder from Roberts for $80 as I recall - with my old core. Shoes, wheel cylinders and seals I got from Bernbaum’s. Don’t recall exact price. Got the hoses off eBay and bought the brake lines at Auto Zone. Honestly I don’t believe it came to that much. But you might try comparing individual prices. 

Make certain the hoses are DOT certified. I got two sets, first one wasn’t, then I found out and bought another set that was. 

2 hours ago, Joeys41 said:

What are your thoughts on the Master Brake rebuild kits that are sold on ebay? Good, No good, crap OR decent, doable or ok? What are your recommendations on what vendor is reputable to get this stuff?I'm getting ready to rebuild the entire brake system and would prefer to buy new brake parts rather than to rebuild anything as the car had been sitting for years and most of the brake system is old and shot. Thanks for your time and input.

Jesse

If it were me and I was putting a driver car on the road,I'd spring for the extra bucks to put a dual-outlet master cylinder on it that mounts under the floor.  If you can't find one that lines up with the hole in your floor,you can mount a remote fill canister on the firewall,or just make a new hole and cover plate for your floor.

For the wheel cylinders and hoses,I would look for brand names like Lockheed,and buy new ones. That way the seller doesn't matter. Pull your old wheel cylinders and then take the numbers off of them and run a number search on Amazon.com and see what you come up with. I did this on my 39 IHC pu after all the IHC parts dealers were quoting me prices of $90 each for the wheel cylinders. Come to find out the 53-54 Chevrolet passenger cars used the same wheel cylinders,and I was able to buy them for $4.95 or $5.95 each from amazon.

Just last month I bought new Dorman wheel cylinders from Rock Auto for my 51 Ford for $4.27 each. Most kits cost more than that. Rebuilding wheel cylinders is a waste of time and money anymore.

AC Delco wheel cylinder hoses were $15.50 ea and the rear   RAYBESTOS   Brake Hose was $17.75

Don't forget to repack your front wheel bearings and to replace your grease seals while you are at it.

I paid $19.67 for new front brakes shoes at my local O'Reilly's Auto Store,and $13.78 for the new rear brake shoes from Rock Auto. I didn't remember to  note what I paid to have the drums turned.

Do NOT forget to replace your hard brake line with the new copper/nickel alloy brake line that you can bend by hand without kinking. You can buy it everywhere that sells auto parts. The best two things about it is that it is cheap,and that you will never again have to worry about a brake line rusting out from either the outside or the inside. This copper/nickel brake line and a dual-outlet master cylinder are the best money you will ever spend on a car you drive.

Edited by knuckleharley

I also am going through the brakes on my 41 Plymouth, and what I have found - I tried the rebuild route on all of my wheel cylinders (seals, springs, etc), tried honing them to the best of my abilities, but the pistons themselves were just too far corroded and pitted, and just leaked/didn't work. For the fronts, I got really lucky and figured out there's a really close NAPA equivalent (bottom row on the first page organized by photo in their "brake bible", don't recall the exact part numbers at present but can try to find them). Only thing different on them is the inlet port points straight out/down rather than angled to the side like on the originals, so I had to be careful with my flexible hose routing. 

However... What I'm still stuck on sourcing is a compatible set of new cylinders for the rears, which I couldn't find in their book. What I noticed for trends is that the rears for this year range seem to have an uncommon layout for mounting bolt location vs the bleeder port location, I could find quite a few that measured almost the same but would be flipped upside down for mounting.. 

Yes, I know the original part number is a 678323/678324, with OLD equivalent being the EIS  6127/6128, which seem to be unobtanium now, what I'm hoping to find is something I can order/buy new like I did for the fronts. If anyone knows a lead on something that'll fit back there I'm all ears.

Edited by wolk625

4 hours ago, wolk625 said:

I also am going through the brakes on my 41 Plymouth, and what I have found - I tried the rebuild route on all of my wheel cylinders (seals, springs, etc), tried honing them to the best of my abilities, but the pistons themselves were just too far corroded and pitted, and just leaked/didn't work. For the fronts, I got really lucky and figured out there's a really close NAPA equivalent (bottom row on the first page organized by photo in their "brake bible", don't recall the exact part numbers at present but can try to find them). Only thing different on them is the inlet port points straight out/down rather than angled to the side like on the originals, so I had to be careful with my flexible hose routing. 

However... What I'm still stuck on sourcing is a compatible set of new cylinders for the rears, which I couldn't find in their book. What I noticed for trends is that the rears for this year range seem to have an uncommon layout for mounting bolt location vs the bleeder port location, I could find quite a few that measured almost the same but would be flipped upside down for mounting.. 

Yes, I know the original part number is a 678323/678324, with OLD equivalent being the EIS  6127/6128, which seem to be unobtanium now, what I'm hoping to find is something I can order/buy new like I did for the fronts. If anyone knows a lead on something that'll fit back there I'm all ears.

Contact White Post Restorations in Virginia. IIRC,they rebuild old wheel cylinders  using stainless steel inserts and new pistons. I am sure there are others,also.

You could also buy a copy of Hemmings Motor News or visit their web pages and look in the "services offered" section.

Here is a Mopar brake parts interchange chart if you need to search out other brake parts.

http://www.ply33.com/Parts/group5

From the above list: 

678323 Wheel Cylinder Assembly
  Interchange/Vendor:
    EIS 6128  
678324 Wheel Cylinder Assembly
  Interchange/Vendor:
    EIS 6127
Edited by knuckleharley