Who Is Actually Driving Their Vintage Mopars?

55 Fargo

I alternate in the summer between my 52 Cranbrook and my 1980 Volare depending on where I am going and what I am doing when I get there.  My 2001 Astro gets the summer off unless the weather is really crappy.  I try to do any maintenance on the Astro and other family cars while I have the extras to drive. I take summers off so I usually am working on something.

Well I've been driving my Oz 1940 Dodge Sedan since September 1971 when I bought it as an unrestored stocker, after doing battle with getting the engine trans, diff, brakes & various other things "restored" I pulled the original running gear out in April 1973 and its been 318 V8 Poly,auto, 4wheel discs, rack & pinion etc since on normal Oz registration.....I usually drive it 2-3 times a week but its been having some intake manifold therapy the past 3-4 weeks but should be back on the road next week.............whilst its not technically "vintage" its close enough for me ..............lol.........varoom!!!!!!!.......Andy Douglas 

P1000699 (800x600).jpg

• Like 5

Now that i have moved to snow area, they dont get used year round anymore, but if snows/salt is not on the ground one of them gets used.  I have put about 1000 miles on the 40 over 18 months and 67,000 on the 53 since i got it.

1497753792691.jpg

IMAG0020-2-1.jpg

• Like 4

When it's dry and sunny I drive my cars and trucks.....

C39 T&C Sky Valley Road Trip (35).JPG

Big Red Sky valley Tractor Show 2017.JPG

Big Red Sky Valley Run (2).JPG

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Andydodge said:

Well I've been driving my Oz 1940 Dodge Sedan since September 1971 when I bought it as an unrestored stocker, after doing battle with getting the engine trans, diff, brakes & various other things "restored" I pulled the original running gear out in April 1973 and its been 318 V8 Poly,auto, 4wheel discs, rack & pinion etc since on normal Oz registration.....I usually drive it 2-3 times a week but its been having some intake manifold therapy the past 3-4 weeks but should be back on the road next week.............whilst its not technically "vintage" its close enough for me ..............lol.........varoom!!!!!!!.......Andy Douglas 

P1000699 (800x600).jpg

It looks very 'loved' considering how long you have had it for, and how much you have driven it. Its a credit to you Andy.

• Like 3

Yeah, sometimes it is tho' I think any credit latelys been of the card variety...........lol........thanks.....btw hows your cars going?.....andyd 

18 minutes ago, Andydodge said:

Yeah, sometimes it is tho' I think any credit latelys been of the card variety...........lol........thanks.....btw hows your cars going?.....andyd 

We haven't won a drag race at Willowbank Raceway as yet, but with a pertronix module in the delco remy and fresh Firestones in the rear, we now have our max. MPH up to 39mph....:)

Same car since 1991, fifth State it's been registered in since we've owned it.  Put up for the winter right now.  Where this photo was taken on our property is currently under 4 feet of snow.  Although our antique car insurance has a lay-up discount that applies from December to March, I have to put it away in November, and don't event consider taking it out again until mid to late April when most of the snow is gone, and depending on how much/many "April Showers" we get to wash the salt off the roads.  Then I take it to work once a week or so, depending on rain, to the farmer's market whenever we go, and at least one "spin" - as my Grandpa used to call it - just burning gas and enjoying the car and countryside, every month.  We drive it more here than in previous places we've lived, but still put only 500 miles or so on it a year.  Seriously thinking of replacing the bias-plies with radials, roads around here are just shy of awful and heavily rutted from log trucks.  Makes driving it a bit more exiting that it needs to be...

DSC_0260.jpg.0a708c432ddd420bc3401d701fd43f79.jpg   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I drive my 52 3/4 ton Dodge truck every day. It is the only vehicle I own. I knew when I started on it it was going to be my daily driver so I built it accordingly. I have put over 10,000 miles on it so far....and so far so good. Here it is in front of my shop this morning. We are finally getting a bit of rain.

Jeff

DDDodge 003.JPG

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, austinsailor said:

I drove my 1924 Dodge Brothers frequently in the summer. Seems to not be so much fun in the winter.

Oh how come....LOL

Bamfordsgarage drives his open Model T when its 30 below in Edmonton.

Please post a pic if you can..

20 minutes ago, austinsailor said:

Tried, but this POS iPhone keeps putting my pictures on "the cloud", then can't seem to retrieve them when I want them.

You can turn it off in settings but beware. I first used it then decided I didn’t like it. When I shut it off all my contacts, phone numbers, pictures— everything was gone. Never to be seen again. Seems it stores all your stuff on the cloud and nothing on your phone. 

BTW Jeff, like your 52 and the fact that it’s your only ride I like even more. Don’t know why, just do. 

58 minutes ago, Lloyd said:

You can turn it off in settings but beware. I first used it then decided I didn’t like it. When I shut it off all my contacts, phone numbers, pictures— everything was gone. Never to be seen again. Seems it stores all your stuff on the cloud and nothing on your phone. 

BTW Jeff, like your 52 and the fact that it’s your only ride I like even more. Don’t know why, just do. 

Thanks Lloyd! They are just good old work trucks....at least mine is. I made a few upgrades to handle modern driving conditions but it is basically stock. With a carefully thought out build or restoration I see no reason why more of these can't be used all the time.

Just put a brand newly overhauled motor in this one.  New wiring from Rhode Island should be here any day, got all new glass, rubber, channels, etc ready to go in.  I put a clear sealer someone here recommended, (Owatrol, I think it was) and it will stay rusty but won't rust.  It'll be about a month, it won't quite be a daily driver, but a frequent driver. And, it drives nice.

Once I get my NOS 3:56 gears in, it'll be a long distance driver.

IMG_0591.JPG

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, austinsailor said:

Just put a brand newly overhauled motor in this one.  New wiring from Rhode Island should be here any day, got all new glass, rubber, channels, etc ready to go in.  I put a clear sealer someone here recommended, (Owatrol, I think it was) and it will stay rusty but won't rust.  It'll be about a month, it won't quite be a daily driver, but a frequent driver. And, it drives nice.

Once I get my NOS 3:56 gears in, it'll be a long distance driver.

IMG_0591.JPG

218 or 230 in it now. How does it perform?