1952 Dodge B3B

Okay.... I plan on rebuilding my carburetor.  I let it soak in carb clean already It cleaned it pretty good. Stuck it in a ultrasonic tank carb accessories are still rusted. I've watch some you tube videos. I've seen pinesol,  viniger, soda blasting. Any affective way to remove the rust inside of the carb compartment.

Thanks Again 

20180320_154025.jpg

20180320_154044.jpg

20 hours ago, Saltrock said:

Okay.... I plan on rebuilding my carburetor.  I let it soak in carb clean already It cleaned it pretty good. Stuck it in a ultrasonic tank carb accessories are still rusted. I've watch some you tube videos. I've seen pinesol,  viniger, soda blasting. Any affective way to remove the rust inside of the carb compartment.

Thanks Again 

I used Berrymans "chem- dip" for the carb body and blasted the linkage, valve plates, screws and lower body.

carbs.JPG.5d17f8eb468d69e83c6310132d82c83f.JPG

If you take apart the "valve" plates be careful, those little screws are not your typical Home Depot screws   

2018_002.JPG.e55abbbb809efeae5e8f0e11b7fe8e32.JPG

I don't think I would blast the inside components.... to many small and sensitive areas to try and get it out of.... but that's just me.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Brent B3B said:

I used Berrymans "chem- dip" for the carb body and blasted the linkage, valve plates, screws and lower body.

carbs.JPG.5d17f8eb468d69e83c6310132d82c83f.JPG

If you take apart the "valve" plates be careful, those little screws are not your typical Home Depot screws   

2018_002.JPG.e55abbbb809efeae5e8f0e11b7fe8e32.JPG

I don't think I would blast the inside components.... to many small and sensitive areas to try and get it out of.... but that's just me.

Great info bud! The parts have been in the berrymans for 24 hours. I'm going to take them out now. I've been trying to find a place to blast the exterior parts. Need to do more searching.  

Thanks 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Gents, 

So was just about to rebuild my carburetor and I am missing the brass cross bar that holds the throttle shutter. I've been searching for it, racking my brain, stressing out. Anyone have old carburetor parts laying around? Is there a way to source these parts? What a way to start a build lol. 

Thanks 

20180402_192613.jpg

20180402_194635.jpg

no promises but, i'll check tonight.

I bought my kits from Mikes http://www.carburetor-parts.com/

I don't think they have the bar but I know they have those little screws......

hey don't feel bad, I recently rewired our B4 and I misplaced the ignition! wasn't until after I replaced it with another one I found the old one......turned out, it was the last place I looked :lol: 

• Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, Brent B3B said:

no promises but, i'll check tonight.

I bought my kits from Mikes http://www.carburetor-parts.com/

I don't think they have the bar but I know they have those little screws......

hey don't feel bad, I recently rewired our B4 and I misplaced the ignition! wasn't until after I replaced it with another one I found the old one......turned out, it was the last place I looked :lol: 

Thank you for replying. I talked to a local carburetor fellow. He said if I can't find the part, he could make something work. I just can't believe I lost it. So annoying. 

One of those screws broke off I do have three, but it would be nice to bore that broken one out and replace it. Is it really the end of the world if I just use one screw to fasten it?

Lol! I feel the same way about losing this part. I'm sure I will find it eventually.

Thanks again for your help

So I found a gentleman out of Missouri that has the piece I'm looking for. He is making me buy a kit for $66 and the brass piece for $95. 

I feel a bit relieved that I can get the part. However, paying $100 for one brass piece kind of sucks.

3 hours ago, Saltrock said:

So I found a gentleman out of Missouri that has the piece I'm looking for. He is making me buy a kit for $66 and the brass piece for $95. 

I feel a bit relieved that I can get the part. However, paying $100 for one brass piece kind of sucks.

check your PMs

$100.00 for a piece of brass rod is outrageous.  I would by some brass rod stock off Ebay or maybe a hobby shop and a set of new files and as we used to say, " measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a piece of chalk, cut to with a hacksaw, and, file to suit".  Since you have two carbs you can use the part out of the other carb as a template.  Heck, you're almost there.

10 hours ago, squirebill said:

$100.00 for a piece of brass rod is outrageous.  I would by some brass rod stock off Ebay or maybe a hobby shop and a set of new files and as we used to say, " measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a piece of chalk, cut to with a hacksaw, and, file to suit".  Since you have two carbs you can use the part out of the other carb as a template.  Heck, you're almost there.

I think I have a gentleman who has extra carb parts laying around. So thankful!

Hello Gents,

Today I dropped my carburetor for the interior to be stripped and dipped. I also drained the oil. It was very dark, murky and a lot of sludge. I plan on dropping the pan and cleaning it before I try to start it. 

I also took the oil filter off and no filter was inside and it was filled with 3 inches of sludge on the bottom of the container.  I cleaned the interior out with brake cleaner. 

I want to look at the valves from the side compartment so I can clean and see valves that are stuck.

Can I turn over the engine with the valves exposed? 

Do I need oil in the engine just to perform compression?

Thanks!

20180409_175711.jpg

20180409_173543.jpg

Edited by Saltrock

You can run the engine with the valve covers off and you won't loose much oil, if any.

I wouldn't advise doing the compression test without oil. Theoretically there's still oil in the bearings for lubrication, but I'd want some being pumped through under cranking just to be safe.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Saltrock said:

Hello Gents,

Today I dropped my carburetor for the interior to be stripped and dipped. I also drained the oil. It was very dark, murky and a lot of sludge. I plan on dropping the pan and cleaning it before I try to start it. 

Based on what you have found so far I think it is a good idea to drop the pan. Be prepared for a gooey mess and perhaps some tougher deposits. While you have the pan off you ought to clean the valve galleries as best you can. Anything there would just wind up in the oil pan.

Jeff

• Like 1

On 4/2/2018 at 8:59 PM, Saltrock said:

Hey Gents, 

So was just about to rebuild my carburetor and I am missing the brass cross bar that holds the throttle shutter. I've been searching for it, racking my brain, stressing out. Anyone have old carburetor parts laying around? Is there a way to source these parts? What a way to start a build lol. 

Thanks 

20180402_192613.jpg

20180402_194635.jpg

The throttle rods are hard to find most carb places will make you buy a whole card...,I got a whole carb for $50 my throttle rod was so worn had to replace it, ended up parting out both my carb and the one I bought plus a rebuild kit to get on every up and running. Thanks to my FIL I am back on the road and she starts right up. If you find someone who sells the throttle rods I would post it up as I am sure we are not the only folks looking for one.

20 hours ago, JaysonK said:

The throttle rods are hard to find most carb places will make you buy a whole card...,I got a whole carb for $50 my throttle rod was so worn had to replace it, ended up parting out both my carb and the one I bought plus a rebuild kit to get on every up and running. Thanks to my FIL I am back on the road and she starts right up. If you find someone who sells the throttle rods I would post it up as I am sure we are not the only folks looking for one.

Glad you got yours up and running again. I am going to do my best not to lose a part again lol. There is this guy out of Eldon Missouri called the carburetor shop. He said he has a few laying around. 

I will have one very soon. Thanks to some fine folks on this site. Thanks for the info

Going to drop my pan probably tomorrow.  Anyone got any pointers on dropping the pan?

I was thinking taking all bolts off, accept maybe keep 4 bolts on each corner and taking it off from there. 

Is the pan super heavy?

Thanks for any advice

• 2 weeks later...